Problems installing OS on Shuttle XPC SB81P, CD-ROM is not..

I have a newly purchased shuttle sb81p with following configuration:

Intel pentium prescott 2.8GHz 775 pin
512 MB DDR 400 MHz
160 GB Hitachi S-ATA
NEC ND-3500A DL DVD-RW

At first time boot up after assembling all components the CD-ROM will
not open, which makes it impossible to install the OS (Window2k) by
booting from the installation CD. I have not planned to install a
Floppy drive.

When entering the BOIS setting and Auto-detecting Hard Drives no
decices are detected.

I have checked that the power- and IDE/SATA cables are connected. Is
there any BOIS settings i must change?

Thankful for all help!
7 answers Last reply
More about problems installing shuttle sb81p
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    On 12 Jan 2005 09:23:39 -0800, simonalexanderson@hotmail.com (Simon
    Alexanderson) wrote:

    >I have a newly purchased shuttle sb81p with following configuration:
    >
    >Intel pentium prescott 2.8GHz 775 pin
    >512 MB DDR 400 MHz
    >160 GB Hitachi S-ATA
    >NEC ND-3500A DL DVD-RW
    >
    >At first time boot up after assembling all components the CD-ROM will
    >not open, which makes it impossible to install the OS (Window2k) by
    >booting from the installation CD. I have not planned to install a
    >Floppy drive.
    >
    >When entering the BOIS setting and Auto-detecting Hard Drives no
    >decices are detected.
    >
    >I have checked that the power- and IDE/SATA cables are connected. Is
    >there any BOIS settings i must change?
    >
    >Thankful for all help!
    Bios has setting for sata
    -- KenW
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    "Simon Alexanderson" <simonalexanderson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a newly purchased shuttle sb81p with following configuration:
    >
    > Intel pentium prescott 2.8GHz 775 pin
    > 512 MB DDR 400 MHz
    > 160 GB Hitachi S-ATA
    > NEC ND-3500A DL DVD-RW
    >
    > At first time boot up after assembling all components the CD-ROM will
    > not open, which makes it impossible to install the OS (Window2k) by
    > booting from the installation CD. I have not planned to install a
    > Floppy drive.
    >
    > When entering the BOIS setting and Auto-detecting Hard Drives no
    > decices are detected.
    >
    > I have checked that the power- and IDE/SATA cables are connected. Is
    > there any BOIS settings i must change?
    >
    > Thankful for all help!

    You need to disconnect everything from your hdd/fdd/cdrom cage, put the cage
    in a box, and post it to me...

    Many thanks

    Dan
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    -=Dan=- © wrote:
    > "Simon Alexanderson" <simonalexanderson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a newly purchased shuttle sb81p with following configuration:
    >>
    >>Intel pentium prescott 2.8GHz 775 pin
    >>512 MB DDR 400 MHz
    >>160 GB Hitachi S-ATA
    >>NEC ND-3500A DL DVD-RW
    >>
    >>At first time boot up after assembling all components the CD-ROM will
    >>not open, which makes it impossible to install the OS (Window2k) by
    >>booting from the installation CD. I have not planned to install a
    >>Floppy drive.
    >>
    >>When entering the BOIS setting and Auto-detecting Hard Drives no
    >>decices are detected.
    >>
    >>I have checked that the power- and IDE/SATA cables are connected. Is
    >>there any BOIS settings i must change?
    >>
    >>Thankful for all help!
    >

    > You need to disconnect everything from your hdd/fdd/cdrom cage, put the cage
    > in a box, and post it to me...
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Dan

    And how would that help Simon with his problem...? :-?

    Evert
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    I built one of these systems and the CDROM drive would not open because of a
    mechanical clearance problem, as the CD tray was jamming on the lower edge
    of the opening. The CDROM was a high-end Plextor device. I ended up taking
    the CD/Floppy cage out, doing some mechanical modifications and finally
    shimming the CDROM drive up so that it would open smoothly. Then, it would
    catch on the door edge as it closed. I fixed that with some thick tape
    (double sided tape with the backing left on the outside) over the cams on
    the inside of the door.

    Everything works fine, but I spent more time messing with the CDROM drive
    that I did with the rest of the system.

    Good luck.

    -Bill
    "Simon Alexanderson" <simonalexanderson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a newly purchased shuttle sb81p with following configuration:
    >
    > Intel pentium prescott 2.8GHz 775 pin
    > 512 MB DDR 400 MHz
    > 160 GB Hitachi S-ATA
    > NEC ND-3500A DL DVD-RW
    >
    > At first time boot up after assembling all components the CD-ROM will
    > not open, which makes it impossible to install the OS (Window2k) by
    > booting from the installation CD. I have not planned to install a
    > Floppy drive.
    >
    > When entering the BOIS setting and Auto-detecting Hard Drives no
    > decices are detected.
    >
    > I have checked that the power- and IDE/SATA cables are connected. Is
    > there any BOIS settings i must change?
    >
    > Thankful for all help!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Check your power leads. It is very possible that your power supply has
    a couple of power leads that only have two wires going into them. These
    are intended for use by a case fan, nothing else. It will not power a
    CD-rom drive.

    Simon Alexanderson wrote:

    > I have a newly purchased shuttle sb81p with following configuration:
    >
    > Intel pentium prescott 2.8GHz 775 pin
    > 512 MB DDR 400 MHz
    > 160 GB Hitachi S-ATA
    > NEC ND-3500A DL DVD-RW
    >
    > At first time boot up after assembling all components the CD-ROM will
    > not open, which makes it impossible to install the OS (Window2k) by
    > booting from the installation CD. I have not planned to install a
    > Floppy drive.
    >
    > When entering the BOIS setting and Auto-detecting Hard Drives no
    > decices are detected.
    >
    > I have checked that the power- and IDE/SATA cables are connected. Is
    > there any BOIS settings i must change?
    >
    > Thankful for all help!
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Thanks for some good suggestions, but the problem remains unsolved :-(

    Bill, the CD-ROM is fitting the opening, and I would expect some kind
    of noise, or LED-flashing if it was jammed...

    Coplan, I am using the correct power-cable (4 wires).

    My suggestion is a defect PSU, even with a faulty BIOS-setting, the
    CD-ROM would open as soon it has power, OR???

    Strangely, after purchasing a flopppy-drive and installing it ON THE
    SAME CABLE AS THE CD-ROM (using the expansion cable that came from
    Shuttle), the Floppy was working!

    Might it be a voltage problem? Can anyone find another explanation?
    /Simon
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    "Evert Meulie" <evert@witelcom.net> wrote in message
    > -=Dan=- © wrote:
    >> "Simon Alexanderson" <simonalexanderson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have a newly purchased shuttle sb81p with following configuration:
    >>>
    >>>Intel pentium prescott 2.8GHz 775 pin
    >>>512 MB DDR 400 MHz
    >>>160 GB Hitachi S-ATA
    >>>NEC ND-3500A DL DVD-RW
    >>>
    >>>At first time boot up after assembling all components the CD-ROM will
    >>>not open, which makes it impossible to install the OS (Window2k) by
    >>>booting from the installation CD. I have not planned to install a
    >>>Floppy drive.
    >>>
    >>>When entering the BOIS setting and Auto-detecting Hard Drives no
    >>>decices are detected.
    >>>
    >>>I have checked that the power- and IDE/SATA cables are connected. Is
    >>>there any BOIS settings i must change?
    >>>
    >>>Thankful for all help!
    >>

    >> You need to disconnect everything from your hdd/fdd/cdrom cage, put the
    >> cage in a box, and post it to me...
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >>
    >> Dan
    >
    > And how would that help Simon with his problem...? :-?
    >

    > Evert

    He'd feel good for helping me out with my problem, and this renewed
    confidence would help him fix his problem...

    Probably....

    Dan

Shuttle CD-Rom Motherboards