PPIO - Old Hardware for Win 95 & 97...doesn't work with XP

Hello,

I have an old force measuring kit that connects to the parrallel port (think
LPT1 or LPT2) and was designed for Win 95 & 97 OS but doesn't work with XP.

When I try to hook it up to my new computer with XP Pro OS it is unable to
find the hardware.

On my win 95 machine the port it works on is LPT2 with it set on the Basic
Configuration 0001 (IRQ = 07; I/O Range = 0378 -037B; I/O 0778 - 077B).

Does anyone know how to get my XP machine to see this device...
I tried to find new hardware using the Windows tool and nothing is found...
I went through all the configurations setting for the ECP printer port and
it still couldn't see the hardware.

ANny suggestions would be graeatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
James
7 answers Last reply
More about ppio hardware doesn work

    MS-DOS, Win95 and Win98 (and WinME) allowed programs direct access to
    hardware, WinNT, W2k, WinXP and W2k3 does not. So your problem is finding a
    XP compatible version of the program to use that kit, or keep an older
    machine with an older OS around for it.

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Jimmy James" <Jimmy James@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have an old force measuring kit that connects to the parrallel port
    (think
    > LPT1 or LPT2) and was designed for Win 95 & 97 OS but doesn't work with
    XP.

    > When I try to hook it up to my new computer with XP Pro OS it is unable to
    > find the hardware.
    >
    > On my win 95 machine the port it works on is LPT2 with it set on the Basic
    > Configuration 0001 (IRQ = 07; I/O Range = 0378 -037B; I/O 0778 - 077B).
    >
    > Does anyone know how to get my XP machine to see this device...
    > I tried to find new hardware using the Windows tool and nothing is
    found...
    > I went through all the configurations setting for the ECP printer port and
    > it still couldn't see the hardware.
    >
    > ANny suggestions would be graeatly appreciated
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > James

    Use virtualPC from VMWare
    I have win98 setup for that purpose with WinXP as host.
    Win98 has full access to parallel and serial ports

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:50:51 -0400, "zibby" <zibby@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Use virtualPC from VMWare

    Um, VirtualPC is from MS now. VMWare has a competing PC emulator.
    Just pointing out they aren't one in the same.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Uhm, virtual machine has an access to emulated hardware only and it doesn't
    know anything about the real h/w.

    "Jetro" <somewhere@internet.space> wrote in message
    > Uhm, virtual machine has an access to emulated hardware only and it
    doesn't
    > know anything about the real h/w.

    Whatever it does, does a good job. Run Win98 under VMWare, and had "full
    control" of parallel port.
    It locks it out from "host OS"
    So my custom software/hardware that needed parallel port worked perfect.

    "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:50:51 -0400, "zibby" <zibby@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Use virtualPC from VMWare
    >
    > Um, VirtualPC is from MS now. VMWare has a competing PC emulator.
    > Just pointing out they aren't one in the same.

    I call it virtual PC, and I should say Virtutual Machine.

    VPC - from M$
    VMware Workstation - http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html

    Might be but I cannot use any old HASP plug/software.

Hardware Windows XP