AN35N Ultra IDE2 Problems

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2005 2:50:15 AM

I am having some serious problems when it comes to the second IDE
channel on my new Shuttle AN35N Ultra motherboard. I'm an experienced
computer builder, though this is the first shuttle motherboard I've
ever worked with. The problem is that anything I put on the second
IDE channel POSTs properly, but I cannot access it from within the OS
(currently, I have linux installed...but I tried Windows XP for
troubleshooting). For that matter...regardless of which OS I'm in, I
can't even partition a hard drive on the second IDE channel. I might
also add that every device I've tried on IDE2 works fine on the first
IDE channel. If I have a CD-Drive on the second IDE channel, I cannot
boot from the CD.

Here's my current setup:

Motherboard: AN35N Motherboard
CPU: AMD Duron 900mhz
Video: Diamond Viper (Riva TNT 770)
RAM: Kingston 256MB PC 2300 (one chip)
Hard Drives: WD 40Gig (Cable Select, Master, IDE1)
CD-ROM (Cable Select, Slave, IDE1)
Seagate 20Gig (not currently installed...used for testing)
Power Supply: Antec Truepower 450w ATX (has the second square power
connector)

Now as I said, either of those three drives POSTS properly at boot
time -- even on IDE2. I have enabled both IDE channels in BIOS. IDE1
seems to work perfectly (which is why I have the CD-ROM on IDE1 at the
moment, but I want it as master on IDE2). This is the second
motherboard I've tried...the first, also an AN35N Ultra, was returned
because I thought it was a faulty motherboard. But the new
motherboard seems to be acting exactly the same.

I've already posted on other places...but no one seems to have any
thoughts. Does anyone here have any ideas?

--Coplan
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2005 3:22:27 AM

No one has any theories?

coplan@verizon.net wrote:

> I am having some serious problems when it comes to the second IDE
> channel on my new Shuttle AN35N Ultra motherboard. I'm an experienced
> computer builder, though this is the first shuttle motherboard I've
> ever worked with. The problem is that anything I put on the second
> IDE channel POSTs properly, but I cannot access it from within the OS
> (currently, I have linux installed...but I tried Windows XP for
> troubleshooting). For that matter...regardless of which OS I'm in, I
> can't even partition a hard drive on the second IDE channel. I might
> also add that every device I've tried on IDE2 works fine on the first
> IDE channel. If I have a CD-Drive on the second IDE channel, I cannot
> boot from the CD.
>
> Here's my current setup:
>
> Motherboard: AN35N Motherboard
> CPU: AMD Duron 900mhz
> Video: Diamond Viper (Riva TNT 770)
> RAM: Kingston 256MB PC 2300 (one chip)
> Hard Drives: WD 40Gig (Cable Select, Master, IDE1)
> CD-ROM (Cable Select, Slave, IDE1)
> Seagate 20Gig (not currently installed...used for testing)
> Power Supply: Antec Truepower 450w ATX (has the second square power
> connector)
>
> Now as I said, either of those three drives POSTS properly at boot
> time -- even on IDE2. I have enabled both IDE channels in BIOS. IDE1
> seems to work perfectly (which is why I have the CD-ROM on IDE1 at the
> moment, but I want it as master on IDE2). This is the second
> motherboard I've tried...the first, also an AN35N Ultra, was returned
> because I thought it was a faulty motherboard. But the new
> motherboard seems to be acting exactly the same.
>
> I've already posted on other places...but no one seems to have any
> thoughts. Does anyone here have any ideas?
>
> --Coplan

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2005 4:40:15 AM

When I added my 2nd hard drive to my computer, I also installed it to the
second IDE.
I had to add this hard drive in the computer management program on
WinXPHome.
Control Panel, Performance and Maintainence, Administrative Tools, Computer
Management, Storage, Disk Management Local
and then ask for help there or here. ;-)
You might have to activate your 2nd hard drive.

Just a newbie here so I am still learning! ;-)
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

"Coplan" <coplan@verison[antispam].net> wrote in message
> No one has any theories?
>
> coplan@verizon.net wrote:
>
>> I am having some serious problems when it comes to the second IDE
>> channel on my new Shuttle AN35N Ultra motherboard. I'm an experienced
>> computer builder, though this is the first shuttle motherboard I've
>> ever worked with. The problem is that anything I put on the second
>> IDE channel POSTs properly, but I cannot access it from within the OS
>> (currently, I have linux installed...but I tried Windows XP for
>> troubleshooting). For that matter...regardless of which OS I'm in, I
>> can't even partition a hard drive on the second IDE channel. I might
>> also add that every device I've tried on IDE2 works fine on the first
>> IDE channel. If I have a CD-Drive on the second IDE channel, I cannot
>> boot from the CD.
>>
>> Here's my current setup:
>>
>> Motherboard: AN35N Motherboard
>> CPU: AMD Duron 900mhz
>> Video: Diamond Viper (Riva TNT 770)
>> RAM: Kingston 256MB PC 2300 (one chip)
>> Hard Drives: WD 40Gig (Cable Select, Master, IDE1)
>> CD-ROM (Cable Select, Slave, IDE1)
>> Seagate 20Gig (not currently installed...used for testing)
>> Power Supply: Antec Truepower 450w ATX (has the second square power
>> connector)
>>
>> Now as I said, either of those three drives POSTS properly at boot
>> time -- even on IDE2. I have enabled both IDE channels in BIOS. IDE1
>> seems to work perfectly (which is why I have the CD-ROM on IDE1 at the
>> moment, but I want it as master on IDE2). This is the second
>> motherboard I've tried...the first, also an AN35N Ultra, was returned
>> because I thought it was a faulty motherboard. But the new
>> motherboard seems to be acting exactly the same.
>>
>> I've already posted on other places...but no one seems to have any
>> thoughts. Does anyone here have any ideas?
>>
>> --Coplan

a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2005 5:45:49 AM

You mean partition it and all?

The second hard drive actually has Windows XP on it. So I know it works
fine. I can boot off of it if I set it as MAster on IDE1. But when I
put it on IDE2, Bios detects it...but I can't access it from the OS.
The same behavior happens when I put the CD-ROM as master on IDE2. I
can't boot off of it or anything...and I get read errors when I try to
access it.

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

> When I added my 2nd hard drive to my computer, I also installed it to the
> second IDE.
> I had to add this hard drive in the computer management program on
> WinXPHome.
> Control Panel, Performance and Maintainence, Administrative Tools, Computer
> Management, Storage, Disk Management Local
> and then ask for help there or here. ;-)
> You might have to activate your 2nd hard drive.
>
> Just a newbie here so I am still learning! ;-)
> later,
> dave
> (One out of many daves)
>

> "Coplan" <coplan@verison[antispam].net> wrote in message
> > No one has any theories?
> >
> > coplan@verizon.net wrote:
> >
> >> I am having some serious problems when it comes to the second IDE
> >> channel on my new Shuttle AN35N Ultra motherboard. I'm an experienced
> >> computer builder, though this is the first shuttle motherboard I've
> >> ever worked with. The problem is that anything I put on the second
> >> IDE channel POSTs properly, but I cannot access it from within the OS
> >> (currently, I have linux installed...but I tried Windows XP for
> >> troubleshooting). For that matter...regardless of which OS I'm in, I
> >> can't even partition a hard drive on the second IDE channel. I might
> >> also add that every device I've tried on IDE2 works fine on the first
> >> IDE channel. If I have a CD-Drive on the second IDE channel, I cannot
> >> boot from the CD.
> >>
> >> Here's my current setup:
> >>
> >> Motherboard: AN35N Motherboard
> >> CPU: AMD Duron 900mhz
> >> Video: Diamond Viper (Riva TNT 770)
> >> RAM: Kingston 256MB PC 2300 (one chip)
> >> Hard Drives: WD 40Gig (Cable Select, Master, IDE1)
> >> CD-ROM (Cable Select, Slave, IDE1)
> >> Seagate 20Gig (not currently installed...used for testing)
> >> Power Supply: Antec Truepower 450w ATX (has the second square power
> >> connector)
> >>
> >> Now as I said, either of those three drives POSTS properly at boot
> >> time -- even on IDE2. I have enabled both IDE channels in BIOS. IDE1
> >> seems to work perfectly (which is why I have the CD-ROM on IDE1 at the
> >> moment, but I want it as master on IDE2). This is the second
> >> motherboard I've tried...the first, also an AN35N Ultra, was returned
> >> because I thought it was a faulty motherboard. But the new
> >> motherboard seems to be acting exactly the same.
> >>
> >> I've already posted on other places...but no one seems to have any
> >> thoughts. Does anyone here have any ideas?
> >>
> >> --Coplan

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2005 5:21:24 PM

If you haven't ran "fdisk" & then formatted the drive, Windows will not
assign a drive letter. This is done with a WIN98 or ME startup disk. Don't
have a startup disk? You can get one here:
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

> You mean partition it and all?
>
> The second hard drive actually has Windows XP on it. So I know it works
> fine. I can boot off of it if I set it as MAster on IDE1. But when I
> put it on IDE2, Bios detects it...but I can't access it from the OS.
> The same behavior happens when I put the CD-ROM as master on IDE2. I
> can't boot off of it or anything...and I get read errors when I try to
> access it.
>
> dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
>
>> When I added my 2nd hard drive to my computer, I also installed it to the
>> second IDE.
>> I had to add this hard drive in the computer management program on
>> WinXPHome.
>> Control Panel, Performance and Maintainence, Administrative Tools,
>> Computer
>> Management, Storage, Disk Management Local
>> and then ask for help there or here. ;-)
>> You might have to activate your 2nd hard drive.
>>
>> Just a newbie here so I am still learning! ;-)
>> later,
>> dave
>> (One out of many daves)
>>

>> "Coplan" <coplan@verison[antispam].net> wrote in message
>> > No one has any theories?

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2005 3:52:51 AM

That's what I'm saying. I've used fdisk (both in linux and in windows)
but it can't create the table on the drive. I've had three hard drives
I've tried in that slot, and so long as any of these drives is on IDE2,
I cannot partition it, format it, write data to it, read data from
it....nothing. So I know it's the controller itself.

And yes...I have IDE2 enabled in Bios.

Paul J. Veres wrote:

> If you haven't ran "fdisk" & then formatted the drive, Windows will not
> assign a drive letter. This is done with a WIN98 or ME startup disk. Don't
> have a startup disk? You can get one here:
> http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
>

> "Coplan" <coplan@verison[antispam].net> wrote in message
> > You mean partition it and all?
> >
> > The second hard drive actually has Windows XP on it. So I know it works
> > fine. I can boot off of it if I set it as MAster on IDE1. But when I
> > put it on IDE2, Bios detects it...but I can't access it from the OS.
> > The same behavior happens when I put the CD-ROM as master on IDE2. I
> > can't boot off of it or anything...and I get read errors when I try to
> > access it.
> >
> > dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
> >
> >> When I added my 2nd hard drive to my computer, I also installed it to the
> >> second IDE.
> >> I had to add this hard drive in the computer management program on
> >> WinXPHome.
> >> Control Panel, Performance and Maintainence, Administrative Tools,
> >> Computer
> >> Management, Storage, Disk Management Local
> >> and then ask for help there or here. ;-)
> >> You might have to activate your 2nd hard drive.
> >>
> >> Just a newbie here so I am still learning! ;-)
> >> later,
> >> dave
> >> (One out of many daves)
> >>

> >> "Coplan" <coplan@verison[antispam].net> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2005 6:56:54 AM

YES you need to have WinXP activate it. Then you could have it as Drive F
or whatever and your Optical Drives as D and E.
I could not even see my second hard drive until I went to the disk
management program of WinXP.
But again I am a newbie so I might have been very lucky in solving my
problem. <g>
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

"Coplan" <coplan@verison[antispam].net> wrote in message
> You mean partition it and all?
>
> The second hard drive actually has Windows XP on it. So I know it works
> fine. I can boot off of it if I set it as MAster on IDE1. But when I
> put it on IDE2, Bios detects it...but I can't access it from the OS.
> The same behavior happens when I put the CD-ROM as master on IDE2. I
> can't boot off of it or anything...and I get read errors when I try to
> access it.
>
> dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
>
>> When I added my 2nd hard drive to my computer, I also installed it to the
>> second IDE.
>> I had to add this hard drive in the computer management program on
>> WinXPHome.
>> Control Panel, Performance and Maintainence, Administrative Tools,
>> Computer
>> Management, Storage, Disk Management Local
>> and then ask for help there or here. ;-)
>> You might have to activate your 2nd hard drive.
>>
>> Just a newbie here so I am still learning! ;-)
>> later,
>> dave
>> (One out of many daves)
>>

>> "Coplan" <coplan@verison[antispam].net> wrote in message
>> > No one has any theories?

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2005 12:08:51 PM

Okay...here's the thing. Regardless of what OS I have...I can get the
OS to "see" the drive, but I cannot get it to actually be able to
access the drive. I'm using Linux at the moment, and I get a whole
bunch of read/write errors and timeout errors.

Here's some more data. I had a spare PCI IDE controller lying around.
So I installed that into the machine, and the hard drives all work
perfectly. That, of course, only stumps me more.

--Coplan

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
> YES you need to have WinXP activate it. Then you could have it as
Drive F
> or whatever and your Optical Drives as D and E.
> I could not even see my second hard drive until I went to the disk
> management program of WinXP.
> But again I am a newbie so I might have been very lucky in solving my

> problem. <g>
> later,
> dave
> (One out of many daves)
>
> "Coplan" <coplan@verison[antispam].net> wrote in message
> > You mean partition it and all?
> >
> > The second hard drive actually has Windows XP on it. So I know it
works
> > fine. I can boot off of it if I set it as MAster on IDE1. But
when I
> > put it on IDE2, Bios detects it...but I can't access it from the
OS.
> > The same behavior happens when I put the CD-ROM as master on IDE2.
> > can't boot off of it or anything...and I get read errors when I try
> > access it.
> >
> > dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
> >
> >> When I added my 2nd hard drive to my computer, I also installed it
to the
> >> second IDE.
> >> I had to add this hard drive in the computer management program on
> >> WinXPHome.
> >> Control Panel, Performance and Maintainence, Administrative Tools,

> >> Computer
> >> Management, Storage, Disk Management Local
> >> and then ask for help there or here. ;-)
> >> You might have to activate your 2nd hard drive.
> >>
> >> Just a newbie here so I am still learning! ;-)
> >> later,
> >> dave
> >> (One out of many daves)
> >>

> >> "Coplan" <coplan@verison[antispam].net> wrote in message

IDE
I've

BIOS. IDE1

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2005 4:06:40 PM

Under device manager, you will find IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS. Highlight
secondary IDE channel, and under ACTION at the top, click on install if
available. If it says uninstall instead, try updating the driver.

!