Home network???

I'm looking for a little help on this-

I want to setup a small home network. I have one desktop and a notebook
computer, both with XP sp2. I have a linksys cable modem and linksys
wireless router. The desktop is connect via ethernet to the router and the
notebook is wireless. An all in one printer is connected to the desktop via
USB. I want to share the printer so that I may print from the notebook. On
occaision I may also want to add my daughter's notebook to the mix as she
returns home from college.

I have started the network wizard but am uncertain how to proceed. Any
advice is greatly appreciated.

Ed

Malke

Long Drive wrote:

> I'm looking for a little help on this-
>
> I want to setup a small home network. I have one desktop and a
> notebook computer, both with XP sp2. I have a linksys cable modem and
> linksys wireless router. The desktop is connect via ethernet to the
> router and the notebook is wireless. An all in one printer is
> connected to the desktop via USB. I want to share the printer so that
> I may print from the notebook. On occaision I may also want to add my
> daughter's notebook to the mix as she returns home from college.
>
> I have started the network wizard but am uncertain how to proceed. Any
> advice is greatly appreciated.
>
> Ed

You can do what you want with no problems. Because you didn't mention
what versions the computers are running (Home or Pro), here are links
to explanations of how to share for both:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
(Pro)

Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2
Wireless - Basic Configuration -

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

luap

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005

Malke wrote:
> Long Drive wrote:
>

>>I'm looking for a little help on this-
>>
>>I want to setup a small home network. I have one desktop and a
>>notebook computer, both with XP sp2. I have a linksys cable modem and
>>linksys wireless router. The desktop is connect via ethernet to the
>>router and the notebook is wireless. An all in one printer is
>>connected to the desktop via USB. I want to share the printer so that
>>I may print from the notebook. On occaision I may also want to add my
>>daughter's notebook to the mix as she returns home from college.
>>
>>I have started the network wizard but am uncertain how to proceed. Any
>>advice is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Ed
>

> You can do what you want with no problems. Because you didn't mention
> what versions the computers are running (Home or Pro), here are links
> to explanations of how to share for both:
>
> http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm
> (Pro)
>
> Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0604.mspx
> Wireless - Basic Configuration -
> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> Wireless - Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> MVP Barb Bowman on wireless security - http://tinyurl.com/56fc5
>
> Malke

I followed these links and couldn't see the wood for the trees! However,
I have just achieved exactly what you want, as follows:

Reset router. From the laptop, connect to the unsecured network. For my
router I opened the browser and typed 192.168.0.1 (D Link) but I believe
for Belkin it's 192.168.2.1. Follow the instructions (wizard). I used
WEP security (26 digit key). Write the key down. Save settings and allow
router to reboot. Now reconnect to the network and enter the key when
prompted. With the desktop, also connect to the network and enter the key.
To connect the two computers (do this on both PC's) - click the network
setup wizard and follow the instructions. Make sure you get the name of
the network correct - I think the default is MSHOME. When it gets to the
sharing options click "don't share" (I did this because I don't use the
Windows firewall, I use Zonealarm). You should now be able to "see" the
other computer.
Now in the Desktop PC click on the printer and look for the "allow
sharing" link. Enable it. In the laptop go to the control panel and "add
a printer", click on "network printer" and "browse" for it. I set it as
default.
Everything should now work, depending on your firewall. You'll have to
fiddle with it to allow sharing. Personally, I wouldn't trust the
Windows firewall so if you don't already have it, go to zonelab.com and
get their free firewall. You'll have to put the network in the trusted
zone, although I am currently looking at ways to be in the internet zone
(more secure) and share the printer through an exception.

Let me know how you get on.
Lua