Home network???

I'm looking for a little help on this-

I want to setup a small home network. I have one desktop and a notebook
computer, both with XP sp2. I have a linksys cable modem and linksys
wireless router. The desktop is connect via ethernet to the router and the
notebook is wireless. An all in one printer is connected to the desktop via
USB. I want to share the printer so that I may print from the notebook. On
occaision I may also want to add my daughter's notebook to the mix as she
returns home from college.

I have started the network wizard but am uncertain how to proceed. Any
advice is greatly appreciated.

Ed
3 answers Last reply
More about home network

    Long Drive wrote:

    > I'm looking for a little help on this-
    >
    > I want to setup a small home network. I have one desktop and a
    > notebook computer, both with XP sp2. I have a linksys cable modem and
    > linksys wireless router. The desktop is connect via ethernet to the
    > router and the notebook is wireless. An all in one printer is
    > connected to the desktop via USB. I want to share the printer so that
    > I may print from the notebook. On occaision I may also want to add my
    > daughter's notebook to the mix as she returns home from college.
    >
    > I have started the network wizard but am uncertain how to proceed. Any
    > advice is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Ed

    You can do what you want with no problems. Because you didn't mention
    what versions the computers are running (Home or Pro), here are links
    to explanations of how to share for both:

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    (Pro)

    Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2
    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke wrote:
    > Long Drive wrote:
    >

    >>I'm looking for a little help on this-
    >>
    >>I want to setup a small home network. I have one desktop and a
    >>notebook computer, both with XP sp2. I have a linksys cable modem and
    >>linksys wireless router. The desktop is connect via ethernet to the
    >>router and the notebook is wireless. An all in one printer is
    >>connected to the desktop via USB. I want to share the printer so that
    >>I may print from the notebook. On occaision I may also want to add my
    >>daughter's notebook to the mix as she returns home from college.
    >>
    >>I have started the network wizard but am uncertain how to proceed. Any
    >>advice is greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >>Ed
    >

    > You can do what you want with no problems. Because you didn't mention
    > what versions the computers are running (Home or Pro), here are links
    > to explanations of how to share for both:
    >
    > http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm
    > (Pro)
    >
    > Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0604.mspx
    > Wireless - Basic Configuration -
    > http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > Wireless - Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > MVP Barb Bowman on wireless security - http://tinyurl.com/56fc5
    >
    > Malke

    I followed these links and couldn't see the wood for the trees! However,
    I have just achieved exactly what you want, as follows:

    Reset router. From the laptop, connect to the unsecured network. For my
    router I opened the browser and typed 192.168.0.1 (D Link) but I believe
    for Belkin it's 192.168.2.1. Follow the instructions (wizard). I used
    WEP security (26 digit key). Write the key down. Save settings and allow
    router to reboot. Now reconnect to the network and enter the key when
    prompted. With the desktop, also connect to the network and enter the key.
    To connect the two computers (do this on both PC's) - click the network
    setup wizard and follow the instructions. Make sure you get the name of
    the network correct - I think the default is MSHOME. When it gets to the
    sharing options click "don't share" (I did this because I don't use the
    Windows firewall, I use Zonealarm). You should now be able to "see" the
    other computer.
    Now in the Desktop PC click on the printer and look for the "allow
    sharing" link. Enable it. In the laptop go to the control panel and "add
    a printer", click on "network printer" and "browse" for it. I set it as
    default.
    Everything should now work, depending on your firewall. You'll have to
    fiddle with it to allow sharing. Personally, I wouldn't trust the
    Windows firewall so if you don't already have it, go to zonelab.com and
    get their free firewall. You'll have to put the network in the trusted
    zone, although I am currently looking at ways to be in the internet zone
    (more secure) and share the printer through an exception.

    Let me know how you get on.
    Lua

    Should add I use XP Pro SP2.

Desktops Notebooks Wireless Networking