  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2005 6:18:51 PM

Hi all,

Has anyone ever got their SS51G to boot of a USB flash memory? If so,
how did you do it?

Thanks!

More about : ss51g bootable usb flash memory

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2005 8:10:23 AM

Yep, I do it all the time. I used a utility called the "HP Drive Key Boot
utility". It is a windows program that formats and installs a basic linux
system on the USB memory stick. Then, using the utility within windows you
make floppy images and the utility creates a menu so you can select which
boot image to boot to. 1 USB drive becomes the ultimate Ghost boot disk-WAY
faster than floppy and you can stuff as many drivers inside as your memory
is large! It is a great free utility, intended for HP servers, but works on
anything.

--Dan

<zweisel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone ever got their SS51G to boot of a USB flash memory? If so,
> how did you do it?
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2005 2:27:41 PM

Do you have a URL where we can obtain this utility? 8-)

Greetings,
Evert

dg wrote:
> Yep, I do it all the time. I used a utility called the "HP Drive Key Boot
> utility". It is a windows program that formats and installs a basic linux
> system on the USB memory stick. Then, using the utility within windows you
> make floppy images and the utility creates a menu so you can select which
> boot image to boot to. 1 USB drive becomes the ultimate Ghost boot disk-WAY
> faster than floppy and you can stuff as many drivers inside as your memory
> is large! It is a great free utility, intended for HP servers, but works on
> anything.
>
> --Dan
>
> <zweisel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Has anyone ever got their SS51G to boot of a USB flash memory? If so,
>>how did you do it?
>>
>>Thanks!

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2005 11:38:49 PM

I used a really cool site called "google" to find it. Its really cool, it
helps you find stuff. I typed in "HP Drive Key Boot
utility" and believe it or not, it found it! The very first result of the
search was this one:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/downl...

Wow! I am going to use this new site "google" every time I need to find
something! I'll bet it can find other stuff too!
--Dan

"Evert Meulie" <evert@witelcom.net> wrote in message
> Do you have a URL where we can obtain this utility? 8-)
>
> Greetings,
> Evert
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2005 11:00:08 PM

This does NOT work with an SS51G. I tried all boot sequences and I have
the latest BOIS. HOW did you make it work? Thanks.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2005 11:09:08 PM

OK... nice utility although it does NOT work on the SS51G. I have two
SS51Gs and no matter what I try to boot with (USB Floppy, USB HDD, USB
ZIP...) it does not boot the PC. What BIOS settings did you use to make
an SS51G XPC boot up? What BIOS version are you using? Thanks for any
help.

Cheers
January 31, 2005 2:31:41 AM

I have only used this utility on an ST62K, but it works fine for me.
Incidentally, I didn't get a Linux image installed on my pen drive.
When I ran the HP program and selected to make a bootable pen drive, it
asked me which location to get "system files". I pointed it to a folder
on my HDD which contained MSDOS.SYS, IO.SYS, COMMAND.COM, etc. which
makes it a DOS disk I think???

I copied suitable autoexec.bat, config.sys, mscdex etc onto it after
the HP program had finished.

Assuming your bios is similar to mine:-

You are making a bootable hard drive, but on a pen drive. (Not a floppy
or Zip disk image).

You have to use a pen drive which is capable of booting. (An old CF
card in my old USB card reader would not boot).

If the bios detects a bootable USB device, it will appear on a list in
the BIOS section Advanced Bios Features. To see the list, select Hard
Disk Boot Priority (Highlight & press ENTER). If the pen drive is
bootable it will be there in the list, but below the hard drive(s) if
any. You have to use the keypad + key to move it to the top of the
list. Then use F10 to exit setup.

The pen drive was C: after reboot. (all my hard drive partitions are
NTFS and therefore invisible to DOS, except one which showed up as D:)

Note that you don't need to change the First Boot Device, Second Boot
device, Third Boot Device, Boot Other Device. The place to go is Hard
Disk Boot priority.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2005 12:26:27 AM

I don't know how to respond to your messages. If it does not work with the
SS51G as you have declared twice, why even bother asking me why it works for
me? If you truly have tried all settings, have the latest BIOS, there is
nothing more I can tell you as you have already done it. Odd that it works
so well for me on 4 different SS51Gs.

!