archangeljinx

I have a Sony DDU1621 and windows does not seem to see it being there at all.
The bios says everything is fine but Windows does not? Suggestions Please?????

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:2E2D6A4E-C710-4479-AD2E-CD17B83EC280@microsoft.com,
Archangeljinx <Archangeljinx@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I have a Sony DDU1621 and windows does not seem to see it being there
> at all. The bios says everything is fine but Windows does not?
> Suggestions Please?????

In your device manager, is it listed? When you insert a DVD does it do
nothing? Does the light come on? How about when you insert a CD? With the
little information you've given it could be all sorts of things up to and
including your upperfilters and lowerfilters...

Galen

archangeljinx

it says nothing in the device manager. I can insert a cd/dvd and the light
comes on but nothing happens within Windows it spins then slows and stops.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:2E2D6A4E-C710-4479-AD2E-CD17B83EC280@microsoft.com,
> Archangeljinx <Archangeljinx@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > I have a Sony DDU1621 and windows does not seem to see it being there
> > at all. The bios says everything is fine but Windows does not?
> > Suggestions Please?????
>
> In your device manager, is it listed? When you insert a DVD does it do
> nothing? Does the light come on? How about when you insert a CD? With the
> little information you've given it could be all sorts of things up to and
> including your upperfilters and lowerfilters...
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:992C4F04-7D16-42F4-9809-91C7806855DB@microsoft.com,
Archangeljinx <Archangeljinx@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> it says nothing in the device manager. I can insert a cd/dvd and the
> light comes on but nothing happens within Windows it spins then slows
> and stops.

If it says nothing in the device manager then there's a bunch of
possibilities. You could have filter issues or the device could simply not
be installed. Try the Add Hardware wizard applet from the classic view of
the Control Panel. If that doesn't work and find your hardware then you can
either check to see if the drive works in another PC or you can try this.

Start > Run > type regedit
Click Edit > click find
Type in "lowerfilters" and search for it. Delete any reference found. (don't
use the quotes)
Do the same for "upperfilters" (again no quotes) and then reboot.

Does this solve your problem?

It could easily be malware of some type that's caused this as well. Have you
scanned for viruses, trojans, and spyware? Have you done so with the latest
definition files and in safe mode?

Galen

archangeljinx

Well that last part was very useful about the Filters, but it will not let me
delete any of those keys. It tells me there was an error while trying to
delete. I have no idea why that would be though? I am in as an admin but it
will not let me modify any of those keys. Would it help if i disconnected the
drives, made sure that everything is deleted out of the registry and then
tried putting them back on?

In news:CF1D93A0-CFF4-4181-97AA-20558503AEB5@microsoft.com,
Archangeljinx <Archangeljinx@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Well that last part was very useful about the Filters, but it will
> not let me delete any of those keys. It tells me there was an error
> while trying to delete. I have no idea why that would be though? I am
> in as an admin but it will not let me modify any of those keys. Would
> it help if i disconnected the drives, made sure that everything is
> deleted out of the registry and then tried putting them back on?

Skip all that. Reboot, press F8 during boot over and over again, enter safe
mode without networking, and try to delete them in there. (log on via the
Admin account)

Galen

archangeljinx

When you told me about the filters and couldn't delete them in a reguler
sign-on i went to safe mode and tried there, but it still would not let me. I
still got an error stating that it could not delete them. I did sign in as
admin to do it too. I thought i might be having problems with my registry but
i was bale to change other keys in other sections. but if i tried changeing
anything within the DVD or CD burner it would not let me and gave me the
error.

In news:17B8AFB8-C349-4C93-BF98-37C18F130832@microsoft.com,
Archangeljinx <Archangeljinx@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> When you told me about the filters and couldn't delete them in a
> reguler sign-on i went to safe mode and tried there, but it still
> would not let me. I still got an error stating that it could not
> delete them. I did sign in as admin to do it too. I thought i might
> be having problems with my registry but i was bale to change other
> keys in other sections. but if i tried changeing anything within the
> DVD or CD burner it would not let me and gave me the error.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Back into safe mode with you... Open regedit and find said filters one more
time please? Then, in the LEFT pane, find the thread that they are directly
under, right click it, select permissions, set the permissions for the admin
to have full control.

You can try restoring to a time before this happened. You can try a scan for
malware (including spyware scans.)

Have you installed anything just a bit before this happened? Perhaps
uninstalled it? Some sort of CD/DVD editing software, music player, file
sharing application, or anything else?

Galen

archangeljinx

Thanks for all your help. I found out what the problem was. It was that i
never installed the motoerboard drivers for the drives. It's a glicth on my
motherboard. Had i known that was the problem i would have done that earlier.
Your help was very good information for future troubleshooting though. Thanks
agian.

In news:96ED6B06-3613-4602-B262-F09B7C91CAEC@microsoft.com,
Archangeljinx <Archangeljinx@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Thanks for all your help. I found out what the problem was. It was
> that i never installed the motoerboard drivers for the drives. It's a
> glicth on my motherboard. Had i known that was the problem i would
> have done that earlier. Your help was very good information for
> future troubleshooting though. Thanks agian.

You mean I spent three days searching for information when you'd just not
installed the drivers? *chuckles* I should have known when you said there
was nothing in the device manager. In fact I did know but I'd ASSumed that
you'd at least installed the drivers. That will teach me. Anyhow, best of
luck and perhaps the next time this crops up I'll think of the simplest
first.

Galen