Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

USB dosaent recognize portable storage

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 16, 2005 3:25:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

All of a sudden, windows XP dosen't recognize my portable storage devices
(Maxtor usb hard drive, lexor jump drive or pentax digital camera). Devices
used to work and still work on my lap top. Have tried trouble shooting; have
uninstalled all usb drivers and rebooted several times. Have performed system
restore several times. Constantly get "usb device not recognized" message on
all devices. Can anyone help?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 17, 2005 5:39:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi, Peter.

Are any OTHER USB devices recognized? (Printer? Scanner?) Maybe you need
new drivers for your USB controller itself. Is it built into your computer
motherboard, or on a PCI card? Or perhaps an external USB hub that needs to
be powered?

In Device Manager, there are sometimes skeletons hiding in the closet. Be
sure to click View | Show Hidden Devices to be sure some old out-of-date USB
driver is not still hanging around.

Also check the other DM - Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc). This manages much
more than hard disks, including CD/DVD drives, "flash" or "jump" drives,
digital cameras and card readers - just about anything that might be
assigned a "drive" letter and accessed by Windows Explorer.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@corridor.net
Microsoft Windows MVP

"peter" <peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E740C99D-B503-42E1-B973-1DF92B77D052@microsoft.com...
> All of a sudden, windows XP dosen't recognize my portable storage devices
> (Maxtor usb hard drive, lexor jump drive or pentax digital camera).
> Devices
> used to work and still work on my lap top. Have tried trouble shooting;
> have
> uninstalled all usb drivers and rebooted several times. Have performed
> system
> restore several times. Constantly get "usb device not recognized" message
> on
> all devices. Can anyone help?
April 18, 2005 12:08:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

R.C- Thanks for the comments. The printer and mouse (thankfully) still work
through the USB connection and I am reluctant to un plug them. Also, an old
64m disk-on-key works. However, the Maxtor 80 g hard drive ( which has its
own power), the pentax optio camera, and the Lexar 1g jump drive consistantly
come up as "device not recognized" although they all worked fine for over six
months until the 8th of April. All are plugged directly into the computer ( A
Sony Vio with 8 USB ports) I have run Norton - no virus's. I have
uninstalled all the USB drivers and rebooted. I have checked for new drivers
and Device manager tells me they are the newest version. All the USB ports
say they are working fine until I plug something in and they won't recognize
it. I checked diskmgmt.msc and the USB drives (which used to be drive H and
I) are not listed. Am I missing something?

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Peter.
>
> Are any OTHER USB devices recognized? (Printer? Scanner?) Maybe you need
> new drivers for your USB controller itself. Is it built into your computer
> motherboard, or on a PCI card? Or perhaps an external USB hub that needs to
> be powered?
>
> In Device Manager, there are sometimes skeletons hiding in the closet. Be
> sure to click View | Show Hidden Devices to be sure some old out-of-date USB
> driver is not still hanging around.
>
> Also check the other DM - Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc). This manages much
> more than hard disks, including CD/DVD drives, "flash" or "jump" drives,
> digital cameras and card readers - just about anything that might be
> assigned a "drive" letter and accessed by Windows Explorer.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "peter" <peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E740C99D-B503-42E1-B973-1DF92B77D052@microsoft.com...
> > All of a sudden, windows XP dosen't recognize my portable storage devices
> > (Maxtor usb hard drive, lexor jump drive or pentax digital camera).
> > Devices
> > used to work and still work on my lap top. Have tried trouble shooting;
> > have
> > uninstalled all usb drivers and rebooted several times. Have performed
> > system
> > restore several times. Constantly get "usb device not recognized" message
> > on
> > all devices. Can anyone help?
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 18, 2005 6:25:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

peter[/QUOTE Wrote:
>
>
> The USB Mass Storage driver is USBSTOR.SYS. You will also need the inf
> files if you have to reinstall it. You can find these drivers at
> http://www.usb-drivers.com If you need the usb general drivers you can
> get them from http://tinyurl.com/9k5ge you will have to do a free
> registration, and it is painless. usbstor should be in the
> system32/drivers directory. From post at 'MSFN.ORG'
> (http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=42581)
> Treeman


--
Treeman
April 18, 2005 10:42:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Treeman,
Thanks. I downloaded and reinstalled all the drivers (maxtor and
usbstor.sys) like you suggested. Still dosen't recognize portable hard drive
or jumpdrive. What am I doing wrong?

"Treeman" wrote:

>
> peter[/QUOTE Wrote:
> >
> >
> > The USB Mass Storage driver is USBSTOR.SYS. You will also need the inf
> > files if you have to reinstall it. You can find these drivers at
> > http://www.usb-drivers.com If you need the usb general drivers you can
> > get them from http://tinyurl.com/9k5ge you will have to do a free
> > registration, and it is painless. usbstor should be in the
> > system32/drivers directory. From post at 'MSFN.ORG'
> > (http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=42581)
> > Treeman
>
>
> --
> Treeman
>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 19, 2005 6:21:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Peter[/QUOTE Wrote:
>
> Can you go into Drive management and see the external Maxtor?
> Right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management.
> If so, you will need to format as a basic drive / ntfs & give it a
> drive letter.
> Windows may be confused! :rolleyes:
> Treeman


--
Treeman
April 19, 2005 6:21:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Cannot see external drive in disk management.

"Treeman" wrote:

>
> Peter[/QUOTE Wrote:
> >
> > Can you go into Drive management and see the external Maxtor?
> > Right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management.
> > If so, you will need to format as a basic drive / ntfs & give it a
> > drive letter.
> > Windows may be confused! :rolleyes:
> > Treeman
>
>
> --
> Treeman
>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 8, 2005 9:55:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

i have exacly the same problem like you with my external hard drive
maxtor, did you find the solution?
many thanks



peter wrote:
> *All of a sudden, windows XP dosen't recognize my portable storage
> devices
> (Maxtor usb hard drive, lexor jump drive or pentax digital camera).
> Devices
> used to work and still work on my lap top. Have tried trouble
> shooting; have
> uninstalled all usb drivers and rebooted several times. Have
> performed system
> restore several times. Constantly get "usb device not recognized"
> message on
> all devices. Can anyone help? * :what



--
jarek
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
------------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1557291.html
May 9, 2005 3:31:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Not sure. I deleted all my cookies; ran spybot twice to remove all spyware.
Uninstallsed service pac 2. Unplugged every wire from my computer (mouse,
keyboard, screen, speakers, etc.), then replugged everything in one at a time
and let windows detect it. Now USB ports work fine. Not sure what fixed it.
May have been spyware or a virus, or SP2. Hope it dosen't happen again.
Hope this helps.


"jarek" wrote:

>
> i have exacly the same problem like you with my external hard drive
> maxtor, did you find the solution?
> many thanks
>
>
>
> peter wrote:
> > *All of a sudden, windows XP dosen't recognize my portable storage
> > devices
> > (Maxtor usb hard drive, lexor jump drive or pentax digital camera).
> > Devices
> > used to work and still work on my lap top. Have tried trouble
> > shooting; have
> > uninstalled all usb drivers and rebooted several times. Have
> > performed system
> > restore several times. Constantly get "usb device not recognized"
> > message on
> > all devices. Can anyone help? * :what
>
>
>
> --
> jarek
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1557291.html
>
>
!