Error Code 37 for CD & DVD drives

- Problem: My CD & DVD drives do not show in Windows Explorer anymore.
- Upon Startup XP detects the devices, but Device Manager shows error code
37 “Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware�.
- I am running XP SP2 and until last week both devices worked without
problems.
- Devices: LG CD RW CED-8083B and HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4160B
- Until now I have done the following to try and fix the problem (without
success):
- Uninstalled the devices in device manager and restarted PC
- Uninstalled all CD/DVD burning, authoring and viewing software and InCD
- Verified that cables are connected properly

Does anyone have ideas how to fix this problem?
3 answers Last reply
More about error code drives

    The problem is fixed.
    I found the solution in Article ID 314060. I followed those instructions and
    after that the problem was resolved.

    "Birdland" wrote:

    > - Problem: My CD & DVD drives do not show in Windows Explorer anymore.
    > - Upon Startup XP detects the devices, but Device Manager shows error code
    > 37 “Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware�.
    > - I am running XP SP2 and until last week both devices worked without
    > problems.
    > - Devices: LG CD RW CED-8083B and HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4160B
    > - Until now I have done the following to try and fix the problem (without
    > success):
    > - Uninstalled the devices in device manager and restarted PC
    > - Uninstalled all CD/DVD burning, authoring and viewing software and InCD
    > - Verified that cables are connected properly
    >
    > Does anyone have ideas how to fix this problem?

  2. Quote:

    "Birdland" wrote:

    > - Problem: My CD & DVD drives do not show in Windows Explorer anymore.
    > - Upon Startup XP detects the devices, but Device Manager shows error code
    > 37 “Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware�.
    > - I am running XP SP2 and until last week both devices worked without
    > problems.
    > - Devices: LG CD RW CED-8083B and HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4160B
    > - Until now I have done the following to try and fix the problem (without
    > success):
    > - Uninstalled the devices in device manager and restarted PC
    > - Uninstalled all CD/DVD burning, authoring and viewing software and InCD
    > - Verified that cables are connected properly
    >
    > Does anyone have ideas how to fix this problem?

  3. Quote:

    - Problem: My CD & DVD drives do not show in Windows Explorer anymore.
    - Upon Startup XP detects the devices, but Device Manager shows error code
    37 “Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware�.
    - I am running XP SP2 and until last week both devices worked without
    problems.
    - Devices: LG CD RW CED-8083B and HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4160B
    - Until now I have done the following to try and fix the problem (without
    success):
    - Uninstalled the devices in device manager and restarted PC
    - Uninstalled all CD/DVD burning, authoring and viewing software and InCD
    - Verified that cables are connected properly

    Does anyone have ideas how to fix this problem?

CD-Rom Devices DVD Drives Windows XP