You will not find anyone on these groups to help you with your request.
Anyone who would answer your question is potentially an accessory in a
federal crime. For your information, it is a violation of Federal
Regulations to make duplicates of copyrighted movies.

Posting in an open forum will only bring unwanted attention to yourself...

Bobby

"Charles" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Will most retail movies work on 4.7 gig blank or 8.5 gig?
>
> Thanks

Charles

Before you get off assuming the worst, you should know that I only intend on
making backup copies of the movies I buy.

In message <ORq7bIwQFHA.3832@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl> "NoNoBadDog!"
<mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:

>You will not find anyone on these groups to help you with your request.
>Anyone who would answer your question is potentially an accessory in a
>federal crime. For your information, it is a violation of Federal
>Regulations to make duplicates of copyrighted movies.
>
>Posting in an open forum will only bring unwanted attention to yourself...

Really? Fair use explicitly allows me to create copies of media I own
(With a few restrictions)

--
This signature does not exist.

The basic movies by themselves will fit on the 4.7 but if you want all the
extras you should go with dual-layer blanks :)

"Charles" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Will most retail movies work on 4.7 gig blank or 8.5 gig?
>
> Thanks

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Aiding and abetting a felony.

"John E. Carty" <jecarty@NOSPAMsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> The basic movies by themselves will fit on the 4.7 but if you want all the
> extras you should go with dual-layer blanks :)
>

> "Charles" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Will most retail movies work on 4.7 gig blank or 8.5 gig?
>>
>> Thanks

It's called making backup copies for yourself.

Let me guess, you assume that anyone buying blank cd's is engaged in piracy
as well?

Matt Gibson - GSEC

bar

Interpretation of law, and to assume that a writer is co resident in your
country, state or town, and thus subject to the same law and also the same
interpretation of a law [if that law is written in the same language, by
usage, grammer or dialect] is to be applied assuemes the same status.

To ASSUME - make an ASS of U and ME.

So all you ASSes, forget about your high horses and realise that one is
generally permitted to make a copy of any media [Music Casette, or CD,
Software CD or other form, Video Tape, VCD or DVD] for which one holds a
specific licence of use. This is usually an acceptable practice covered
under the term 'backup copy'.

For example even Microsoft states in some EULA "If you are downloading the
Software from a Microsoft web site, you may make one (1) additional copy of
the Software on physical media such as a CD-ROM solely to exercise the rights
granted above."

"Matt Gibson" wrote:

> It's called making backup copies for yourself.
>
> Let me guess, you assume that anyone buying blank cd's is engaged in piracy
> as well?
>
> Matt Gibson - GSEC

Charles

Thanks for clarifying much better BAR. I could have not said it better than
you.

> Interpretation of law, and to assume that a writer is co resident in your
> country, state or town, and thus subject to the same law and also the same
> interpretation of a law [if that law is written in the same language, by
> usage, grammer or dialect] is to be applied assuemes the same status.
>
> To ASSUME - make an ASS of U and ME.
>
> So all you ASSes, forget about your high horses and realise that one is
> generally permitted to make a copy of any media [Music Casette, or CD,
> Software CD or other form, Video Tape, VCD or DVD] for which one holds a
> specific licence of use. This is usually an acceptable practice covered
> under the term 'backup copy'.
>
> For example even Microsoft states in some EULA "If you are downloading the
> Software from a Microsoft web site, you may make one (1) additional copy
> of
> the Software on physical media such as a CD-ROM solely to exercise the
> rights
> granted above."
>
> "Matt Gibson" wrote:
>
>> It's called making backup copies for yourself.
>>
>> Let me guess, you assume that anyone buying blank cd's is engaged in
>> piracy
>> as well?
>>
>> Matt Gibson - GSEC

You obviously haven't gotten past the first year of law school :)

> Aiding and abetting a felony.
>
> "John E. Carty" <jecarty@NOSPAMsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> The basic movies by themselves will fit on the 4.7 but if you want all
>> the extras you should go with dual-layer blanks :)
>>

>> "Charles" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Will most retail movies work on 4.7 gig blank or 8.5 gig?
>>>
>>> Thanks

The only way anybody would ever know or care about your
making a dozen back-up copies of your MS software or a
Hollywood movie was if you started giving them away to
friends and selling them on eBay.

If you want to store the original DVD/CD in a vault and use
only the copy you burned and it is only for your use, nobody
will care. Does it violate the US MCA as presently enforced
in the court, yes as to Hollywood and the judges are making
DVD ripping software harder to find, but if you can get the
software and defeat the encryption on the DVD (that is the
"crime") and you don't post, sell or barter the copy(ies) no
police will find you because they aren't looking. They are
looking for kiddy porn and so if you're into THAT, when they
find you they will tack-on the piracy charges on MCA.

"Charles" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:%23Pazc1yQFHA.164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| Thanks for clarifying much better BAR. I could have not
said it better than
| you.
|
| "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > Interpretation of law, and to assume that a writer is co
resident in your
| > country, state or town, and thus subject to the same law
and also the same
| > interpretation of a law [if that law is written in the
same language, by
| > usage, grammer or dialect] is to be applied assuemes the
same status.

| > To ASSUME - make an ASS of U and ME.
| >
| > So all you ASSes, forget about your high horses and
realise that one is
| > generally permitted to make a copy of any media [Music
Casette, or CD,
| > Software CD or other form, Video Tape, VCD or DVD] for
which one holds a
| > specific licence of use. This is usually an acceptable
practice covered
| > under the term 'backup copy'.
| >
| > For example even Microsoft states in some EULA "If you
are downloading the
| > Software from a Microsoft web site, you may make one (1)
additional copy
| > of
| > the Software on physical media such as a CD-ROM solely
to exercise the
| > rights
| > granted above."
| >
| > "Matt Gibson" wrote:
| >
| >> It's called making backup copies for yourself.
| >>
| >> Let me guess, you assume that anyone buying blank cd's
is engaged in
| >> piracy
| >> as well?
| >>
| >> Matt Gibson - GSEC

It is always better to be precise in what you want to do, and why. Then you
don't get the wise comments (I am known for them).

Many people will read your header (or maybe your main post) and answer if
they feel like it. They may not read the 6-8 responses that are already
there, including the one where you give "further" information.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

Charles wrote:
> Will most retail movies work on 4.7 gig blank or 8.5 gig?
>
> Thanks

Most retail movies today with all the extras, fit on an DVD-9 disc ( 8gb+)..
so you would need a dual layer burner along with dual layer media to burn a
DVD9 movie in it's original format. Dual Layer burners are becoming more
popular and are pretty reasonable these days, however the dual layer media
is stills somewhat on the expensive side.

There are programs out there you can use, to re-author ( remove and/or
compress the extras), and to shrink ( compress) the main movie to fit onto a
DVD5 disc ( 4.3gb).
There are also programs that you can use to split a DVD9 movie onto 2 DVD5
discs.

You can do some searching with google to read up on this along with finding
the appropriate programs.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:uuQ7P6wQFHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Charles <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Before you get off assuming the worst, you should know that I only
> intend on making backup copies of the movies I buy.

You're able to back up certain movies on certain disks. If the DVD is in
format DVD-9 you'll need the 8.5 GB disc. If the format is DVD-5 then you'll
need the 4.7 GB disc... It's not illegal to backup your own movies. However,
due to the DMCA you might not be able to legally backup your own movies if
they've been protected with CSS. It seems that software made for decryption
of CSS is illegal regardless of your intentions with it. As the 8.5 GB DVDs
are much more expensive I suggest keeping a stack of both around so that you
can backup your content that way you will only use the amount of storage
space you need.

By the way. If, in your travels, you come across decent priced double sided
8.5 GB (17 GB really) DVDs then ping me or hit the reply to button and send
me the URL. I can't seem to find any at a decent price. (In particular a
spool of 100 should do.)

Galen

In message <#RAJxn4QFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl> "Galen"
<galennews@gmail.com> wrote:

>In news:uuQ7P6wQFHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>Charles <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>> Before you get off assuming the worst, you should know that I only
>> intend on making backup copies of the movies I buy.
>
>You're able to back up certain movies on certain disks. If the DVD is in
>format DVD-9 you'll need the 8.5 GB disc. If the format is DVD-5 then you'll
>need the 4.7 GB disc... It's not illegal to backup your own movies. However,
>due to the DMCA you might not be able to legally backup your own movies if
>they've been protected with CSS. It seems that software made for decryption
>of CSS is illegal regardless of your intentions with it. As the 8.5 GB DVDs
>are much more expensive I suggest keeping a stack of both around so that you
>can backup your content that way you will only use the amount of storage
>space you need.

It's also worth noting that many posters to this group don't care about
the DMCA. I sure don't -- It doesn't apply to me unless I drive several
hours south.

Copyright (both Canadian and International) still applies, but that
includes Fair Use rights which specifically allow me to copy media which
I own.

--
Some people are like Slinkies... You can't help but
smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Charles wrote:

> Before you get off assuming the worst, you should know that I only intend on
> making backup copies of the movies I buy.

Still illegal in the US. Retail prerecorded DVDs ussualy contain files
that are encripted with the intention of copy prevention. The Digital
Millenium Copyright Act eliminated the "Fair Use" privilage for material
protected by hardware or software technology intended to protect the
material from copying. The Macrovision technology most tape and DVD
publisers use makes the same law apply to copying to a video tape.
That's why a federal court ordered the recall of software with those
capabilities.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:30a661dom90plmrk667tr84l9m1hobtfg6@news.readfreenews.net,
DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> had this to say:

> It's also worth noting that many posters to this group don't care
> about the DMCA. I sure don't -- It doesn't apply to me unless I
> drive several hours south.
>
> Copyright (both Canadian and International) still applies, but that
> includes Fair Use rights which specifically allow me to copy media
> which I own.

Nah, loads of the users won't care about the DMCA even if they live here in
America. I include the information just to make sure that when I answer the
OP's original question that I make sure that I give them all the information
at hand that might be important to me. I try VERY hard to avoid opening
myself up to a debate on politics in a public forum. There are simply too
many sides and too few people who can do discuss or even debate without
allowing emotions to over-ride their ability to listen. <g> I will say this
on the subject, I feel that certain portions of the DMCA violate what was
earlier known as the Fair-Use Act in my opinion and I feel that this is
limiting my freedoms. (It took me a good five minutes to make sure that I
worded that properly.) On the other hand... I feel that piracy of anything
is theft and it is wrong. Is making what was once considered a legal backup
of something you paid for piracy? I don't think so but I'm certainly
incapable of being a judge on the subject and that's the choice made by our
elected officials in this country. I don't have to like it. I have to live
with it or, alternatively, move. (There went another five minutes.)

Anyhow, I'm going to stop on this subject and leave the above posted as it
is no matter how tempting it is to delete it and avoid anything that could
be considered political in nature. It's a goal of mine to stir the waters as
little as possible.

Galen