CPU Fan Noise Resonates

I have a PC where the CPU fan resonates through the case. The cause of the
problem appears to be that the case has indentations pressed in for the
motherboard to mount on in place of plastic stand offs. If I gently touch
the motherboard the noise stops however wedging a piece or cork or rubber
eraser between the motherboard and case des not have the same effect. The
CPU fan does not appear to be running out of balance. I think that a
possible solution might be to place an acoustic gasket between the CPU fan
and heat sink like those sold for case fans at
http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/antivibration.asp but these are too large
for a CPU fans. Does anyone know where I can buy one of these for a CPU
fan?

It may be that some of the 9 (or so) little screws that hold the M/B
physically to the case are slightly loose.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"M" <spamtrap@spambouncer.org> wrote in message
>I have a PC where the CPU fan resonates through the case. The cause of the
>problem appears to be that the case has indentations pressed in for the
>motherboard to mount on in place of plastic stand offs. If I gently touch
>the motherboard the noise stops however wedging a piece or cork or rubber
>eraser between the motherboard and case des not have the same effect. The
>CPU fan does not appear to be running out of balance. I think that a
>possible solution might be to place an acoustic gasket between the CPU fan
>and heat sink like those sold for case fans at
>http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/antivibration.asp but these are too large
>for a CPU fans. Does anyone know where I can buy one of these for a CPU
>fan?

You could make one using a sharp knife or just try a few
rubber O-rings. You might try some O-rings under the mobo
on those pressed-in mounting locations and under the screws
to isolate the mobo.

"M" <spamtrap@spambouncer.org> wrote in message
|I have a PC where the CPU fan resonates through the case.
The cause of the
| problem appears to be that the case has indentations
pressed in for the
| motherboard to mount on in place of plastic stand offs.
If I gently touch
| the motherboard the noise stops however wedging a piece or
cork or rubber
| eraser between the motherboard and case des not have the
same effect. The
| CPU fan does not appear to be running out of balance. I
think that a
| possible solution might be to place an acoustic gasket
between the CPU fan
| and heat sink like those sold for case fans at
| http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/antivibration.asp but
these are too large
| for a CPU fans. Does anyone know where I can buy one of
these for a CPU
| fan?

Grim

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004

It just could be dry bearings. Remove fan and dismantle, clean out the old
crud and lubricate with a smear of silicone grease.
This I found cures all fan noise problems.

> You could make one using a sharp knife or just try a few
> rubber O-rings. You might try some O-rings under the mobo
> on those pressed-in mounting locations and under the screws
> to isolate the mobo.

> "M" <spamtrap@spambouncer.org> wrote in message
> |I have a PC where the CPU fan resonates through the case.
> The cause of the
> | problem appears to be that the case has indentations
> pressed in for the
> | motherboard to mount on in place of plastic stand offs.
> If I gently touch
> | the motherboard the noise stops however wedging a piece or
> cork or rubber
> | eraser between the motherboard and case des not have the
> same effect. The
> | CPU fan does not appear to be running out of balance. I
> think that a
> | possible solution might be to place an acoustic gasket
> between the CPU fan
> | and heat sink like those sold for case fans at
> | http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/antivibration.asp but
> these are too large
> | for a CPU fans. Does anyone know where I can buy one of
> these for a CPU
> | fan?

"M" <spamtrap@spambouncer.org> wrote in message
> I have a PC where the CPU fan resonates through the case. The cause of
the
> problem appears to be that the case has indentations pressed in for the
> motherboard to mount on in place of plastic stand offs. If I gently touch
> the motherboard the noise stops however wedging a piece or cork or rubber
> eraser between the motherboard and case des not have the same effect. The
> CPU fan does not appear to be running out of balance. I think that a
> possible solution might be to place an acoustic gasket between the CPU fan
> and heat sink like those sold for case fans at
> http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/antivibration.asp but these are too
large
> for a CPU fans. Does anyone know where I can buy one of these for a CPU
> fan?

If the motherboard resonates then the fan is out of balance,
even if you cannot feel it. The easiest way would be to
replace the fan. They cost very little.

bar

The CPU cooler fan should be securely fixed to the Heat Sink.

The addition of a gasket may not assist at all as any vibration would now be
exaggerated rather than eliminated.

My suggestion would be to buy a better quality fan.