cable

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2005

I've got a SN95G5 (v1 i think as a brought it as soon as it appeared)
and i've got shuttles 7in1 card reader.

But it keeps disappearing:( ie the drives and the devices in device
manager:(
Not very useful.

Anybody any ideas? Deleting the hidden devices doesn't help.

Cable wrote:
> I've got a SN95G5 (v1 i think as a brought it as soon as it appeared)
> and i've got shuttles 7in1 card reader.
>
> But it keeps disappearing:( ie the drives and the devices in device
> manager:(
> Not very useful.
>
> Anybody any ideas? Deleting the hidden devices doesn't help.

That kept happening to my sister who had an add-in USB-2 card
with an NEC chip and an Atech reader. I told her to unplug it,
wait 20 seconds and plug it back in with the computer running.
It was re-detected and worked until the next time. The next time,
her old eyes were off a couple pins. There was smoke. It doesn't
work anymore. She bought an external unit. She said I could have
here internal reader. Gee thanks.

The only thing I could find out was that some USB implementations
were slightly out of spec and plugging them into a powered hub
sometimes helps. I guess that would take some doing for an internal
unit, though...

cable

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2005

anybody else having this problem?

its very annoying...and I can't see what's wrong...I don't think it's
windows

Mine never even appeared. It's physically present, connected, but the OS
doesn't see it and never has... :-/

In article <1109163238.644410.266860@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Cable <cbeach@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got a SN95G5 (v1 i think [...]) and i've got shuttles 7in1
> card reader. But it keeps disappearing:(

Hello. I don't know what kind of a unit the reader is, but on SSF Tech
Shuttle forums[0] i remember there was talk about the SN95G5's USB bus
not providing sufficient power to the devices. Try without other USB
devices, like mice or keyboards. At least the older SN95G5s had this
problem and i don't think i ever saw a solution for it. It's not that
the PSU couldn't provide the power, the USB bus just isn't channeling it
properly. Mine is V 2.0, but i've never used any USB devices so don't
have any first-hand experience on this.

Too bad that information like that never made it to these parts of the
Internet. I dislike webforums myself, and i think it's a huge pity that
they're as popular as they are. I'd like to see all that plentiful
discussion being held on the Usenet instead. I don't have anything
against Sudhian's (one of which the SFF Tech is) webforums as such, just
in general.

Anyway, i hope it's not the power issue you're experiencing, since there
appears to be no cure.

[0] http://forums.sudhian.com/categories.aspx?catid=43&entercat=y

..mace --- 1+ +DA§+