Windows XP Professional 32-bit on a 64-bit machine?

I am not sure if this has been answered before; if it has, sorry!

Since Microsoft has not given a final date for the release of Win XP Prof
64-bit, I have been trying to set up my new machine with Win XP Prof (32-bit)
SP2. This machine is a dual processor Intel Xeon 3.60 with EM64 running on a
Supermicro X6DAE-G2 motherboard.
The first part of the installation (text-based) works fine, but at the
beginning of the second (before the device installation), I always get a
fatal error message:

SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file...
A component's file does not match the verification information.

Each time (I have tried several!) is a different file that fails the check.
In desperation I tried my old Win 2000 Prof, and it actually managed to
install! But, when I started to install software, I noticed that all
installers that tried to check (CRC32 check, probably) the consistency of the
files all failed, and after a while the system started to crash. In one
instance, I got a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSoD, and after checking the Knowledge
Base I realized it had something to do with the memory. Then I tried to
install Win XP Prof (32-bit) again, but disabling all memory caching: the
installation passed the checks and started to install devices, but it was so
slow (without memory caching, you bet) I quit after 3 hours.

Now, I have a doubt: do I have a broken motherboard and/or dodgy memory, or
is Win XP Prof (32-bit) known not to work on Intel Xeon 64-bit systems? I
cannot wait to find out until Win XP Prof (64-bit) comes out because of the
returns policy of my suppliers.

Thank you for your time,

F. David del Campo Hill
6 answers Last reply
More about windows professional machine

    Hmmmm.

    XP32bit should be fine.

    Before proceeding, I suggest getting a copy of memtest86 from memtest.org
    and running that as per site instructions - 1 error and no OS will operate
    correctly.

    In the bios, try reloading setup / bios defaults and ensure that the memory
    is configured to run to specification. Verify the bios settings.

    Check for BIOS revisions as well.

    Check the CD / DVD rom cable is seated correctly.
    Check you have a PSU that meets / exceeds requirements. With a dual Xeon,
    the PSU is critical.

    Random CRC errors along with other random errors tend to indicate either ram
    , disc (not so likely), PSU failings, possible CPU over temp (doubt it -
    Xeons should be safe).

    Check your XP CD - the pfn corruption may be a secondary error (bios, ram
    timings) and the sysx error may be a disc scratch. Try copying the CD to the
    HDD and installing from there.

    "F. David del Campo Hill" <FDaviddelCampoHill@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:169A09A0-4369-4B00-9DBC-85A19E2E3345@microsoft.com...
    >I am not sure if this has been answered before; if it has, sorry!
    >
    > Since Microsoft has not given a final date for the release of Win XP Prof
    > 64-bit, I have been trying to set up my new machine with Win XP Prof
    > (32-bit)
    > SP2. This machine is a dual processor Intel Xeon 3.60 with EM64 running on
    > Supermicro X6DAE-G2 motherboard.
    > The first part of the installation (text-based) works fine, but at the
    > beginning of the second (before the device installation), I always get a
    > fatal error message:
    >
    > SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file...
    > A component's file does not match the verification information.
    >
    > Each time (I have tried several!) is a different file that fails the
    > check.
    > In desperation I tried my old Win 2000 Prof, and it actually managed to
    > install! But, when I started to install software, I noticed that all
    > installers that tried to check (CRC32 check, probably) the consistency of
    > the
    > files all failed, and after a while the system started to crash. In one
    > instance, I got a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSoD, and after checking the Knowledge
    > Base I realized it had something to do with the memory. Then I tried to
    > install Win XP Prof (32-bit) again, but disabling all memory caching: the
    > installation passed the checks and started to install devices, but it was
    > so
    > slow (without memory caching, you bet) I quit after 3 hours.
    >
    > Now, I have a doubt: do I have a broken motherboard and/or dodgy memory,
    > or
    > is Win XP Prof (32-bit) known not to work on Intel Xeon 64-bit systems? I
    > cannot wait to find out until Win XP Prof (64-bit) comes out because of
    > the
    > returns policy of my suppliers.
    >
    > Thank you for your time,
    >
    > F. David del Campo Hill

    If you have 2 memory modules installed, try pulling one out and installing.

    If you get same errors, then stop and swap over the modules.

    If problem persists, then 1: Not a memory Issue
    2. Dig deeper..maybe media problem - as in CD Drive errors or Installation
    CD is faulty.

    At this juncture, don't get hung up in space, call Microspoft tech support
    and they'll talk you in for a landing.

    "Tim" wrote:

> [...]
    > > installers that tried to check (CRC32 check, probably) the consistency of
    > > the
    > > files all failed, and after a while the system started to crash. In one
    > > instance, I got a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSoD, and after checking the Knowledge
    > > Base I realized it had something to do with the memory. Then I tried to
    > > install Win XP Prof (32-bit) again, but disabling all memory caching: the
    > > installation passed the checks and started to install devices, but it was
    > > so
    > > slow (without memory caching, you bet) I quit after 3 hours.
    > >
    > > Now, I have a doubt: do I have a broken motherboard and/or dodgy memory,
    > > or
    > > is Win XP Prof (32-bit) known not to work on Intel Xeon 64-bit systems? I
    > > cannot wait to find out until Win XP Prof (64-bit) comes out because of

    BAR,

    > If you have 2 memory modules installed, try pulling one out and installing.
    > If you get same errors, then stop and swap over the modules.

    I have already tried that and the errors persist.

    > If problem persists, then 1: Not a memory Issue
    > 2. Dig deeper..maybe media problem - as in CD Drive errors or Installation
    > CD is faulty.

    I also tried to install with a CD from work which has never failed me
    before, and the errors were similar.

    > At this juncture, don't get hung up in space, call Microspoft tech support
    > and they'll talk you in for a landing.

    I will be trying that this evening.

    Tim,

    > XP32bit should be fine.
    > Before proceeding, I suggest getting a copy of memtest86 from memtest.org
    > and running that as per site instructions - 1 error and no OS will operate
    > correctly.

    I will try that.

    > In the bios, try reloading setup / bios defaults and ensure that the memory
    > is configured to run to specification. Verify the bios settings.

    But what is that specification? I have reloaded the BIOS defaults and the
    problem persists.

    > Check for BIOS revisions as well.

    Will try.

    > Check the CD / DVD rom cable is seated correctly.

    Done; I even got a new cable for it.

    > Check you have a PSU that meets / exceeds requirements. With a dual Xeon,
    > the PSU is critical.

    Supermicro asks for 450w for that motherboard and I bought one of their own
    chassis with a 645w PSU.
    I will try to run with only one disk just in case the 5 disks are drawing
    the power down, but if a server chassis supposed to work with 8 disks cannot
    run with only 5 Supermicro are going to hear from me!

    > Random CRC errors along with other random errors tend to indicate either ram
    > , disc (not so likely), PSU failings, possible CPU over temp (doubt it -
    > Xeons should be safe).

    Now that worries me: the Xeons have their own heatsinks with fans, and there
    are other 4 fans in the chassis, but the temperature of the processors never
    go below 40C. Now that should be fine for anything else, but these are Xeons
    3.6...

    > Check your XP CD - the pfn corruption may be a secondary error (bios, ram
    > timings) and the sysx error may be a disc scratch. Try copying the CD to the
    > HDD and installing from there.

    A bit difficult if I do not have a OS that runs on the machine.

    David

    If it's a retail version ov XP you can boot from the cd and copy it to the
    hard drive.

    "F. David del Campo Hill" wrote:

    > BAR,
    >
    > > If you have 2 memory modules installed, try pulling one out and installing.
    > > If you get same errors, then stop and swap over the modules.
    >
    > I have already tried that and the errors persist.
    >
    > > If problem persists, then 1: Not a memory Issue
    > > 2. Dig deeper..maybe media problem - as in CD Drive errors or Installation
    > > CD is faulty.
    >
    > I also tried to install with a CD from work which has never failed me
    > before, and the errors were similar.
    >
    > > At this juncture, don't get hung up in space, call Microspoft tech support
    > > and they'll talk you in for a landing.
    >
    > I will be trying that this evening.
    >

    > Tim,
    >
    > > XP32bit should be fine.
    > > Before proceeding, I suggest getting a copy of memtest86 from memtest.org
    > > and running that as per site instructions - 1 error and no OS will operate
    > > correctly.
    >
    > I will try that.
    >
    > > In the bios, try reloading setup / bios defaults and ensure that the memory
    > > is configured to run to specification. Verify the bios settings.
    >
    > But what is that specification? I have reloaded the BIOS defaults and the
    > problem persists.
    >
    > > Check for BIOS revisions as well.
    >
    > Will try.
    >
    > > Check the CD / DVD rom cable is seated correctly.
    >
    > Done; I even got a new cable for it.
    >
    > > Check you have a PSU that meets / exceeds requirements. With a dual Xeon,
    > > the PSU is critical.
    >
    > Supermicro asks for 450w for that motherboard and I bought one of their own
    > chassis with a 645w PSU.
    > I will try to run with only one disk just in case the 5 disks are drawing
    > the power down, but if a server chassis supposed to work with 8 disks cannot
    > run with only 5 Supermicro are going to hear from me!
    >
    > > Random CRC errors along with other random errors tend to indicate either ram
    > > , disc (not so likely), PSU failings, possible CPU over temp (doubt it -
    > > Xeons should be safe).
    >
    > Now that worries me: the Xeons have their own heatsinks with fans, and there
    > are other 4 fans in the chassis, but the temperature of the processors never
    > go below 40C. Now that should be fine for anything else, but these are Xeons
    > 3.6...
    >
    > > Check your XP CD - the pfn corruption may be a secondary error (bios, ram
    > > timings) and the sysx error may be a disc scratch. Try copying the CD to the
    > > HDD and installing from there.
    >
    > A bit difficult if I do not have a OS that runs on the machine.
    >
    > David

    OK, I ran memtest986 on the machine yesterday and it passed all tests
    successfully without a single error. I think we can discount the memory as
    being wrong.

    I have also tried installing Win XP Prof with all but one of the disks
    disconnected from the power, and there was no improvement, so I doubt the
    machine is short on power too.

    I even booted using a Knoppix Linux-on-CD and it worked without much
    trouble, so I just cannot see what could be wrong with the hardware now.

    Does anyone have any further ideas?

    Thank you for your time,

    David

    "F. David del Campo Hill" wrote:

    > I am not sure if this has been answered before; if it has, sorry!
    >
    > Since Microsoft has not given a final date for the release of Win XP Prof
    > 64-bit, I have been trying to set up my new machine with Win XP Prof (32-bit)
    > SP2. This machine is a dual processor Intel Xeon 3.60 with EM64 running on a
    > Supermicro X6DAE-G2 motherboard.
    > The first part of the installation (text-based) works fine, but at the
    > beginning of the second (before the device installation), I always get a
    > fatal error message:
    >
    > SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file...
    > A component's file does not match the verification information.
    >
    > Each time (I have tried several!) is a different file that fails the check.
    > In desperation I tried my old Win 2000 Prof, and it actually managed to
    > install! But, when I started to install software, I noticed that all
    > installers that tried to check (CRC32 check, probably) the consistency of the
    > files all failed, and after a while the system started to crash. In one
    > instance, I got a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSoD, and after checking the Knowledge
    > Base I realized it had something to do with the memory. Then I tried to
    > install Win XP Prof (32-bit) again, but disabling all memory caching: the
    > installation passed the checks and started to install devices, but it was so
    > slow (without memory caching, you bet) I quit after 3 hours.
    >
    > Now, I have a doubt: do I have a broken motherboard and/or dodgy memory, or
    > is Win XP Prof (32-bit) known not to work on Intel Xeon 64-bit systems? I
    > cannot wait to find out until Win XP Prof (64-bit) comes out because of the
    > returns policy of my suppliers.
    >
    > Thank you for your time,
    >
    > F. David del Campo Hill

    Success!

    I would like to report that after upgrading the BIOS of my motherboard to
    version 1.2a, Windows XP Professional 32-bit installed without problems.

    Thank you all for your help,

    David

    "F. David del Campo Hill" wrote:

    > I am not sure if this has been answered before; if it has, sorry!
    >
    > Since Microsoft has not given a final date for the release of Win XP Prof
    > 64-bit, I have been trying to set up my new machine with Win XP Prof (32-bit)
    > SP2. This machine is a dual processor Intel Xeon 3.60 with EM64 running on a
    > Supermicro X6DAE-G2 motherboard.
    > The first part of the installation (text-based) works fine, but at the
    > beginning of the second (before the device installation), I always get a
    > fatal error message:
    >
    > SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file...
    > A component's file does not match the verification information.
    >
    > Each time (I have tried several!) is a different file that fails the check.
    > In desperation I tried my old Win 2000 Prof, and it actually managed to
    > install! But, when I started to install software, I noticed that all
    > installers that tried to check (CRC32 check, probably) the consistency of the
    > files all failed, and after a while the system started to crash. In one
    > instance, I got a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSoD, and after checking the Knowledge
    > Base I realized it had something to do with the memory. Then I tried to
    > install Win XP Prof (32-bit) again, but disabling all memory caching: the
    > installation passed the checks and started to install devices, but it was so
    > slow (without memory caching, you bet) I quit after 3 hours.
    >
    > Now, I have a doubt: do I have a broken motherboard and/or dodgy memory, or
    > is Win XP Prof (32-bit) known not to work on Intel Xeon 64-bit systems? I
    > cannot wait to find out until Win XP Prof (64-bit) comes out because of the
    > returns policy of my suppliers.
    >
    > Thank you for your time,
    >
    > F. David del Campo Hill

Microsoft Windows XP