Windows XP Professional 32-bit on a 64-bit machine?

April 18, 2005 1:22:03 PM

I am not sure if this has been answered before; if it has, sorry!

Since Microsoft has not given a final date for the release of Win XP Prof
64-bit, I have been trying to set up my new machine with Win XP Prof (32-bit)
SP2. This machine is a dual processor Intel Xeon 3.60 with EM64 running on a
Supermicro X6DAE-G2 motherboard.
The first part of the installation (text-based) works fine, but at the
beginning of the second (before the device installation), I always get a
fatal error message:

SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file...
A component's file does not match the verification information.

Each time (I have tried several!) is a different file that fails the check.
In desperation I tried my old Win 2000 Prof, and it actually managed to
install! But, when I started to install software, I noticed that all
installers that tried to check (CRC32 check, probably) the consistency of the
files all failed, and after a while the system started to crash. In one
instance, I got a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSoD, and after checking the Knowledge
Base I realized it had something to do with the memory. Then I tried to
install Win XP Prof (32-bit) again, but disabling all memory caching: the
installation passed the checks and started to install devices, but it was so
slow (without memory caching, you bet) I quit after 3 hours.

Now, I have a doubt: do I have a broken motherboard and/or dodgy memory, or
is Win XP Prof (32-bit) known not to work on Intel Xeon 64-bit systems? I
cannot wait to find out until Win XP Prof (64-bit) comes out because of the
returns policy of my suppliers.

Thank you for your time,

F. David del Campo Hill
April 19, 2005 9:42:12 PM

Hmmmm.

XP32bit should be fine.

Before proceeding, I suggest getting a copy of memtest86 from memtest.org
and running that as per site instructions - 1 error and no OS will operate
correctly.

In the bios, try reloading setup / bios defaults and ensure that the memory
is configured to run to specification. Verify the bios settings.

Check for BIOS revisions as well.

Check the CD / DVD rom cable is seated correctly.
Check you have a PSU that meets / exceeds requirements. With a dual Xeon,
the PSU is critical.

Random CRC errors along with other random errors tend to indicate either ram
, disc (not so likely), PSU failings, possible CPU over temp (doubt it -
Xeons should be safe).

Check your XP CD - the pfn corruption may be a secondary error (bios, ram
timings) and the sysx error may be a disc scratch. Try copying the CD to the
HDD and installing from there.

"F. David del Campo Hill" <FDaviddelCampoHill@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:169A09A0-4369-4B00-9DBC-85A19E2E3345@microsoft.com...
>I am not sure if this has been answered before; if it has, sorry!
>
> Since Microsoft has not given a final date for the release of Win XP Prof
> 64-bit, I have been trying to set up my new machine with Win XP Prof
> (32-bit)
> SP2. This machine is a dual processor Intel Xeon 3.60 with EM64 running on
> Supermicro X6DAE-G2 motherboard.
> The first part of the installation (text-based) works fine, but at the
> beginning of the second (before the device installation), I always get a
> fatal error message:
>
> SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file...
> A component's file does not match the verification information.
>
> Each time (I have tried several!) is a different file that fails the
> check.
> In desperation I tried my old Win 2000 Prof, and it actually managed to
> install! But, when I started to install software, I noticed that all
> installers that tried to check (CRC32 check, probably) the consistency of
> the
> files all failed, and after a while the system started to crash. In one
> instance, I got a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSoD, and after checking the Knowledge
> Base I realized it had something to do with the memory. Then I tried to
> install Win XP Prof (32-bit) again, but disabling all memory caching: the
> installation passed the checks and started to install devices, but it was
> so
> slow (without memory caching, you bet) I quit after 3 hours.
>
> Now, I have a doubt: do I have a broken motherboard and/or dodgy memory,
> or
> is Win XP Prof (32-bit) known not to work on Intel Xeon 64-bit systems? I
> cannot wait to find out until Win XP Prof (64-bit) comes out because of
> the
> returns policy of my suppliers.
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> F. David del Campo Hill
April 19, 2005 9:42:13 PM

If you have 2 memory modules installed, try pulling one out and installing.

If you get same errors, then stop and swap over the modules.

If problem persists, then 1: Not a memory Issue
2. Dig deeper..maybe media problem - as in CD Drive errors or Installation
CD is faulty.

At this juncture, don't get hung up in space, call Microspoft tech support
and they'll talk you in for a landing.

"Tim" wrote:

> [...]
> > installers that tried to check (CRC32 check, probably) the consistency of
> > the
> > files all failed, and after a while the system started to crash. In one
> > instance, I got a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSoD, and after checking the Knowledge
> > Base I realized it had something to do with the memory. Then I tried to
> > install Win XP Prof (32-bit) again, but disabling all memory caching: the
> > installation passed the checks and started to install devices, but it was
> > so
> > slow (without memory caching, you bet) I quit after 3 hours.
> >
> > Now, I have a doubt: do I have a broken motherboard and/or dodgy memory,
> > or
> > is Win XP Prof (32-bit) known not to work on Intel Xeon 64-bit systems? I
> > cannot wait to find out until Win XP Prof (64-bit) comes out because of

April 19, 2005 9:42:14 PM

BAR,

> If you have 2 memory modules installed, try pulling one out and installing.
> If you get same errors, then stop and swap over the modules.

I have already tried that and the errors persist.

> If problem persists, then 1: Not a memory Issue
> 2. Dig deeper..maybe media problem - as in CD Drive errors or Installation
> CD is faulty.

I also tried to install with a CD from work which has never failed me
before, and the errors were similar.

> At this juncture, don't get hung up in space, call Microspoft tech support
> and they'll talk you in for a landing.

I will be trying that this evening.

Tim,

> XP32bit should be fine.
> Before proceeding, I suggest getting a copy of memtest86 from memtest.org
> and running that as per site instructions - 1 error and no OS will operate
> correctly.

I will try that.

> In the bios, try reloading setup / bios defaults and ensure that the memory
> is configured to run to specification. Verify the bios settings.

But what is that specification? I have reloaded the BIOS defaults and the
problem persists.

> Check for BIOS revisions as well.

Will try.

> Check the CD / DVD rom cable is seated correctly.

Done; I even got a new cable for it.

> Check you have a PSU that meets / exceeds requirements. With a dual Xeon,
> the PSU is critical.

Supermicro asks for 450w for that motherboard and I bought one of their own
chassis with a 645w PSU.
I will try to run with only one disk just in case the 5 disks are drawing
the power down, but if a server chassis supposed to work with 8 disks cannot
run with only 5 Supermicro are going to hear from me!

> Random CRC errors along with other random errors tend to indicate either ram
> , disc (not so likely), PSU failings, possible CPU over temp (doubt it -
> Xeons should be safe).

Now that worries me: the Xeons have their own heatsinks with fans, and there
are other 4 fans in the chassis, but the temperature of the processors never
go below 40C. Now that should be fine for anything else, but these are Xeons
3.6...

> Check your XP CD - the pfn corruption may be a secondary error (bios, ram
> timings) and the sysx error may be a disc scratch. Try copying the CD to the
> HDD and installing from there.

A bit difficult if I do not have a OS that runs on the machine.

David
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 9:42:15 PM

If it's a retail version ov XP you can boot from the cd and copy it to the
hard drive.

"F. David del Campo Hill" wrote:

> BAR,
>
> > If you have 2 memory modules installed, try pulling one out and installing.
> > If you get same errors, then stop and swap over the modules.
>
> I have already tried that and the errors persist.
>
> > If problem persists, then 1: Not a memory Issue
> > 2. Dig deeper..maybe media problem - as in CD Drive errors or Installation
> > CD is faulty.
>
> I also tried to install with a CD from work which has never failed me
> before, and the errors were similar.
>
> > At this juncture, don't get hung up in space, call Microspoft tech support
> > and they'll talk you in for a landing.
>
> I will be trying that this evening.
>

> Tim,
>
> > XP32bit should be fine.
> > Before proceeding, I suggest getting a copy of memtest86 from memtest.org
> > and running that as per site instructions - 1 error and no OS will operate
> > correctly.
>
> I will try that.
>
> > In the bios, try reloading setup / bios defaults and ensure that the memory
> > is configured to run to specification. Verify the bios settings.
>
> But what is that specification? I have reloaded the BIOS defaults and the
> problem persists.
>
> > Check for BIOS revisions as well.
>
> Will try.
>
> > Check the CD / DVD rom cable is seated correctly.
>
> Done; I even got a new cable for it.
>
> > Check you have a PSU that meets / exceeds requirements. With a dual Xeon,
> > the PSU is critical.
>
> Supermicro asks for 450w for that motherboard and I bought one of their own
> chassis with a 645w PSU.
> I will try to run with only one disk just in case the 5 disks are drawing
> the power down, but if a server chassis supposed to work with 8 disks cannot
> run with only 5 Supermicro are going to hear from me!
>
> > Random CRC errors along with other random errors tend to indicate either ram
> > , disc (not so likely), PSU failings, possible CPU over temp (doubt it -
> > Xeons should be safe).
>
> Now that worries me: the Xeons have their own heatsinks with fans, and there
> are other 4 fans in the chassis, but the temperature of the processors never
> go below 40C. Now that should be fine for anything else, but these are Xeons
> 3.6...
>
> > Check your XP CD - the pfn corruption may be a secondary error (bios, ram
> > timings) and the sysx error may be a disc scratch. Try copying the CD to the
> > HDD and installing from there.
>
> A bit difficult if I do not have a OS that runs on the machine.
>
> David
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 8:04:06 AM

OK, I ran memtest986 on the machine yesterday and it passed all tests
successfully without a single error. I think we can discount the memory as
being wrong.

I have also tried installing Win XP Prof with all but one of the disks
disconnected from the power, and there was no improvement, so I doubt the
machine is short on power too.

I even booted using a Knoppix Linux-on-CD and it worked without much
trouble, so I just cannot see what could be wrong with the hardware now.

Does anyone have any further ideas?

Thank you for your time,

David

"F. David del Campo Hill" wrote:

> I am not sure if this has been answered before; if it has, sorry!
>
> Since Microsoft has not given a final date for the release of Win XP Prof
> 64-bit, I have been trying to set up my new machine with Win XP Prof (32-bit)
> SP2. This machine is a dual processor Intel Xeon 3.60 with EM64 running on a
> Supermicro X6DAE-G2 motherboard.
> The first part of the installation (text-based) works fine, but at the
> beginning of the second (before the device installation), I always get a
> fatal error message:
>
> SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file...
> A component's file does not match the verification information.
>
> Each time (I have tried several!) is a different file that fails the check.
> In desperation I tried my old Win 2000 Prof, and it actually managed to
> install! But, when I started to install software, I noticed that all
> installers that tried to check (CRC32 check, probably) the consistency of the
> files all failed, and after a while the system started to crash. In one
> instance, I got a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSoD, and after checking the Knowledge
> Base I realized it had something to do with the memory. Then I tried to
> install Win XP Prof (32-bit) again, but disabling all memory caching: the
> installation passed the checks and started to install devices, but it was so
> slow (without memory caching, you bet) I quit after 3 hours.
>
> Now, I have a doubt: do I have a broken motherboard and/or dodgy memory, or
> is Win XP Prof (32-bit) known not to work on Intel Xeon 64-bit systems? I
> cannot wait to find out until Win XP Prof (64-bit) comes out because of the
> returns policy of my suppliers.
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> F. David del Campo Hill
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:31:04 AM

Success!

I would like to report that after upgrading the BIOS of my motherboard to
version 1.2a, Windows XP Professional 32-bit installed without problems.

Thank you all for your help,

David

!