IDE/ATA & SATA hard drives in same computer?

I have a one month old 120 gig IDE/ATA Western Digital 7200 hard drive
slaved as a second drive in my current WIN XP, SP2 computer. Can I pull it
and install it as a second drive in my new Dell Dimension 8400 computer
which came with a 160 gig SATA hard drive (also WIN XP, SP2)?

Cleburne

Patrick Cleburne wrote:
> I have a one month old 120 gig IDE/ATA Western Digital 7200 hard drive
> slaved as a second drive in my current WIN XP, SP2 computer. Can I pull it
> and install it as a second drive in my new Dell Dimension 8400 computer
> which came with a 160 gig SATA hard drive (also WIN XP, SP2)?
>
> Cleburne

Sure.
--
Cheers, Bob

"Patrick Cleburne" wrote:
> I have a one month old 120 gig IDE/ATA Western Digital 7200 hard drive
> slaved as a second drive in my current WIN XP, SP2 computer. Can I pull it
> and install it as a second drive in my new Dell Dimension 8400 computer
> which came with a 160 gig SATA hard drive (also WIN XP, SP2)?

If your motherboard has a free P-ATA port, you can use that. Some
motherboards have both P-ATA and S-ATA ports. Otherwise,
you can use a PCI expansion card that has an P-ATA IDE controller
on it, or you can use a small adapter card that translates between
P-ATA and S-ATA. As far as the OS is concerned, the difference
between P-ATA and S-ATA is handled in firmware by the channel
controller.

Rick Lowen

woody

Sure. Set the jumpers on your 160 gig drive to CS (cable select). Connect
the drive to the primary IDE connector. Enter the setup utility (F2 at
boot). Enter "Drive Configuration" and set "Primary Master" to AUTO.
Reboot. BIOS and XP should detect the drive. You may have to enter XP
Computer Management/Disk Management to format the drive and assign a letter.

Good luck,

Woody

"Patrick Cleburne" <reb@_rebyell.xcom> wrote in message
>I have a one month old 120 gig IDE/ATA Western Digital 7200 hard drive
>slaved as a second drive in my current WIN XP, SP2 computer. Can I pull it
>and install it as a second drive in my new Dell Dimension 8400 computer
>which came with a 160 gig SATA hard drive (also WIN XP, SP2)?
>
> Cleburne

"Patrick Cleburne" <reb@_rebyell.xcom> wrote in message
>I have a one month old 120 gig IDE/ATA Western Digital 7200 hard drive
>slaved as a second drive in my current WIN XP, SP2 computer. Can I pull it
>and install it as a second drive in my new Dell Dimension 8400 computer
>which came with a 160 gig SATA hard drive (also WIN XP, SP2)?
>
> Cleburne

The 8400 has a single P-ATA header supporting two devices. If you have a
single optical drive you have room for one more. If you have dual optical
drives you're out of room.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

bar

Just make sure you have all the right devices atached in the correct sequence.

The P-ATA should be on IDE-0 as [primary] master.
Your first Optical Drive can be on IDE-1 as [secondary] master.
Your second Optical Drive on either IDE as slave.

....... And they all lived happily ever after.

"HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:

> "Patrick Cleburne" <reb@_rebyell.xcom> wrote in message
> >I have a one month old 120 gig IDE/ATA Western Digital 7200 hard drive
> >slaved as a second drive in my current WIN XP, SP2 computer. Can I pull it
> >and install it as a second drive in my new Dell Dimension 8400 computer
> >which came with a 160 gig SATA hard drive (also WIN XP, SP2)?
> >
> > Cleburne
>
> The 8400 has a single P-ATA header supporting two devices. If you have a
> single optical drive you have room for one more. If you have dual optical
> drives you're out of room.

> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :)
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.

I have a 120 GB Western Digital IDE drive. It came with the jumpers set for
CS. I was told to pull the jumpers so it would be set to single drive. I
did originally install it with the jumpers set to CS and then switched it.

If I switch it back to CS now will it cause problems? Is CS the preferred
setting for newer WD drives?

Would really appreciate your help. I am having some trouble getting my
PC--Abit NF7-S v2 MB with AMD Barton 2500+ processor to properly recognize
my dual DVD RW/CD RW drive. I have it on IDE 2 now, but it does not seem to
be properly recognizing the DVD drive. It did when I originally installed
it, but then I changed the jumpers on WD HD and wrote 0's to my drive and
now have problems.
"Woody" <woody@woohoo.ca> wrote in message
> Sure. Set the jumpers on your 160 gig drive to CS (cable select). Connect
> the drive to the primary IDE connector. Enter the setup utility (F2 at
> boot). Enter "Drive Configuration" and set "Primary Master" to AUTO.
> Reboot. BIOS and XP should detect the drive. You may have to enter XP
> Computer Management/Disk Management to format the drive and assign a
> letter.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Woody
>
> "Patrick Cleburne" <reb@_rebyell.xcom> wrote in message
>>I have a one month old 120 gig IDE/ATA Western Digital 7200 hard drive
>>slaved as a second drive in my current WIN XP, SP2 computer. Can I pull it
>>and install it as a second drive in my new Dell Dimension 8400 computer
>>which came with a 160 gig SATA hard drive (also WIN XP, SP2)?
>>
>> Cleburne

"Patrick Cleburne" <reb@_rebyell.xcom> wrote in message
>I have a one month old 120 gig IDE/ATA Western Digital 7200 hard drive
>slaved as a second drive in my current WIN XP, SP2 computer. Can I pull it
>and install it as a second drive in my new Dell Dimension 8400 computer
>which came with a 160 gig SATA hard drive (also WIN XP, SP2)?
>
> Cleburne

Thanks for all the help!

Cleburne

anna

"Lori A. Kuiper" <lorikuiper92@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a 120 GB Western Digital IDE drive. It came with the jumpers set
>for CS. I was told to pull the jumpers so it would be set to single drive.
>I did originally install it with the jumpers set to CS and then switched
>it.
>
> If I switch it back to CS now will it cause problems? Is CS the preferred
> setting for newer WD drives?
>
> Would really appreciate your help. I am having some trouble getting my
> PC--Abit NF7-S v2 MB with AMD Barton 2500+ processor to properly recognize
> my dual DVD RW/CD RW drive. I have it on IDE 2 now, but it does not seem
> to be properly recognizing the DVD drive. It did when I originally
> installed it, but then I changed the jumpers on WD HD and wrote 0's to my
> drive and now have problems.

Lori:
You're posing a query that has really nothing to do with the subject-named
thread. It really confuses things when one does this. Next time, please use
a different subject-name if your query is not *directly* related to the
issue being discussed.

Anyway, I've snipped the postings that are not relevant to your problem, so
let's start fresh...

With respect to your 120 GB Western Digital drive. You can use the Cable
Select setting with this drive as long as you connect it to the end
connector of its IDE data cable. Naturally if another device is on that same
cable, it will be also jumpered as CS and connected to the middle connector
of the IDE cable. You could alternately connect (jumper) that WD drive as
Single if it was the *only* device on the IDE cable. The Master jumper
setting on that drive could be used only if there's *another* device
(jumpered as Slave, of course) on that IDE cable.

You say you "wrote 0's to my drive and now have problems". It's hard to
understand what's happening here. Why did you "zap" the drive? Have you
installed XP on that drive? What problems are you experiencing with the HD?

As to the problems you're experiencing with your optical drive -- please
provide some more details.Are you sure it's connected/jumpered correctly?
You say "I have it on IDE 2 now". Does that mean you changed its original
connection? Again, are you sure it's connected/jumpered correctly?
Anna