Why are Shuttles promoted as "quiet" computers?

My old HP Tower was a lot quieter than this 8300 G5 I had built by
Shuttle. I've had it for a few months now and thought I would just get
used to it because my first computer was louder than this but it feels
like going backward.

I think its a really nice computer, but there ought to be truth in
advertising. They should just focus on its other qualities and not snow
people with the "quiet" jazz. Had I known how it really sounded, I
probably would've opted for a different SFF solution. I guess that's
why they fudge that stuff, they want your business.

There's no rattle or ball bearing weirdness, just the constant fan
sound. It's too small for sound dampening inside the case.

Any ideas?

Flaig

I have my fan set for "low" and have tried "ultra-low" but things got a
little warm with that setting. I'm not speaking of the loud gush of fan
noise at boot up. Mine does get quieter after that but is still loud
enough for me to hear in the next room.

Do you have onboard graphics or separate graphics cards? I'll probably
take the cover off one of these days and turn it on without the cover
and try to detect the noisiest fan.

I have my fan set for "low" and have tried "ultra-low" but things got a
little warm with that setting. I'm not speaking of the loud gush of fan
noise at boot up. Mine does get quieter after that but is still loud
enough for me to hear in the next room.

Do you have onboard graphics or separate graphics cards? I'll probably
take the cover off one of these days and turn it on without the cover
and try to detect the noisiest fan.

My shuttles are pretty damn quiet. When you turn them on, the fans roar up
to full speed but after a second or two they quiet down to a low level.
Perhaps you have a CMOS setting that sets fan speed to auto instead of full
boar all the time?

--Dan

> Do you have onboard graphics or separate graphics cards? I'll probably
> take the cover off one of these days and turn it on without the cover
> and try to detect the noisiest fan.

I use an extra video card, it has no fan on it however. Actually, I think
my particular shuttles have only 2 fans in them. 1 for the processor and 1
in the power supply, but the power supply may have more than 1 fan.

--Dan

Flaig wrote:
> My old HP Tower was a lot quieter than this 8300 G5 I had built by
> Shuttle. I've had it for a few months now and thought I would just
get
> used to it because my first computer was louder than this but it
feels
> like going backward.
>
> I think its a really nice computer, but there ought to be truth in
> advertising. They should just focus on its other qualities and not
snow
> people with the "quiet" jazz. Had I known how it really sounded, I
> probably would've opted for a different SFF solution. I guess that's
> why they fudge that stuff, they want your business.
>
> There's no rattle or ball bearing weirdness, just the constant fan
> sound. It's too small for sound dampening inside the case.
>
> Any ideas?

My new MSI graphics card said something about it being silent, but if
you look at the small print it means that it's <29db, which is a lot.

I am starting to suspect the graphics card as the noisiest. From the
diagrams I've seen of the insides, the pci express slot is on the side
of the comp facing towards me. I saw some pics on one guy's site where
he had taken the fan off his graphics card and screwed a big heat sink
into it.

I'm not much of a modder. I've only ever upgraded the ram and one time
put in a scsi card in an early computer. That has been the sum of my
tinkering around with the inner guts of computers.

My Dell at work is quiet as can be but I don't want a box that big at
home.

That's pretty quiet compared to most Shuttles.

At least the cover is easy to take off. I'm busy this weekend but plan
to take a look inside soon and have it run with the lid off to see
where most of the noise comes from.

In article <1109688864.849593.125390@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Flaig <BFlaig@gmail.com> wrote:
> [noisy shuttle]

Mine is rather noisy too. The noise is maybe a bit softer with the lid
off. Most of the noise is generated from my two 6B200M0 (DiamondMax10
or whatever) harddisks, and from the fan of the graphics adapter,
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Atlantis (who invents these product names!).
I once plucked each noise-device out one by one to map who's who in the
soundscape, and with the plug pulled from the disks and that graphics
adapter's fan, there was barely any sound audible. On the other hand,
which computer ever made a lot of sound with without a harddisk?

This is an GN95G5V2, for the record. Housemates have a couple of
Shuttle's too, and we share these views. I think mine is the noisiest,
for i have to disks.

> I think its a really nice computer, but there ought to be truth in
> advertising. [...] I guess that's why they fudge that stuff, they
> want your business.

LOL! This hardly is news to anyone, in the venture-capitalistic era of
our times.

> Any ideas?

There are n+1 tricks one can try. Other's have, since the dawn of time,
tackled with this.

> Flaig

..mace --- 0102+ ++

I also now wish I had made a different choice of model. I do like my
shuttle, don't get me wrong. In the summer when my window air
conditioner is on I won't notice the Shuttle fan noise at all. I often
put the tv on or music on so that I hear something more pleasant than
fan noise. At least it is not a high pitched whine like one of my
earlier computers and I know the difference between smooth fan noise
and the kind where the bearings are awry.

On 1 Mar 2005 06:54:24 -0800, "Flaig" <BFlaig@gmail.com> wrote:

>My old HP Tower was a lot quieter than this 8300 G5 I had built by
>Shuttle. I've had it for a few months now and thought I would just get
>used to it because my first computer was louder than this but it feels
>like going backward.
>
>I think its a really nice computer, but there ought to be truth in
>advertising. They should just focus on its other qualities and not snow
>people with the "quiet" jazz. Had I known how it really sounded, I
>probably would've opted for a different SFF solution. I guess that's
>why they fudge that stuff, they want your business.
>
>There's no rattle or ball bearing weirdness, just the constant fan
>sound. It's too small for sound dampening inside the case.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Flaig

It would seem that it depends on the model you get. I bought a SB52G2
(which I run with a Celeron 2.4) which is really very quiet indeed.
From this experience I thought that perhaps all the Shuttles would be
about as quiet as each other. So when, a few weeks, later I came
across a Celeron D320 cheap, I bought another Shuttle to go with it. I
plumped for a SB61G2V3 as it would take the Celeron D320.
Unfortunately, to my surprise, it was a hell of a lot more noisy than
the SB52G2. I've since changed the cooling fan and that has improved
things a bit but it is still nowhere near as quiet as my first
machine.

Looking back, I would have been better off just buying another older
Celeron and getting another SB52G2 but it was too late once I'd bought
it.

I suppose its a case of pot luck.

NO SPAM.

marie

On my SB75G2, the fan making the most noise is my ATI AIW card. Where did
you have your Dell, on the floor? Or do did you have it besides your
monitor like most people have thier Shuttles?

ms

"No Spam" <nospam@nospam.nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message
> On 1 Mar 2005 06:54:24 -0800, "Flaig" <BFlaig@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >My old HP Tower was a lot quieter than this 8300 G5 I had built by
> >Shuttle. I've had it for a few months now and thought I would just get
> >used to it because my first computer was louder than this but it feels
> >like going backward.
> >
> >I think its a really nice computer, but there ought to be truth in
> >advertising. They should just focus on its other qualities and not snow
> >people with the "quiet" jazz. Had I known how it really sounded, I
> >probably would've opted for a different SFF solution. I guess that's
> >why they fudge that stuff, they want your business.
> >
> >There's no rattle or ball bearing weirdness, just the constant fan
> >sound. It's too small for sound dampening inside the case.
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >
> >Flaig
>
> It would seem that it depends on the model you get. I bought a SB52G2
> (which I run with a Celeron 2.4) which is really very quiet indeed.
> From this experience I thought that perhaps all the Shuttles would be
> about as quiet as each other. So when, a few weeks, later I came
> across a Celeron D320 cheap, I bought another Shuttle to go with it. I
> plumped for a SB61G2V3 as it would take the Celeron D320.
> Unfortunately, to my surprise, it was a hell of a lot more noisy than
> the SB52G2. I've since changed the cooling fan and that has improved
> things a bit but it is still nowhere near as quiet as my first
> machine.
>
> Looking back, I would have been better off just buying another older
> Celeron and getting another SB52G2 but it was too late once I'd bought
> it.
>
> I suppose its a case of pot luck.
>
> NO SPAM.

I had downloaded the XPC Tools software but can't really figure out how
to use is. The help file is too cryptic. I don't think it was written
by someone who's first language is English. It does at least show me
what temperatures the comp and cpu are at and gives the rpm of 2 fans.
I know which is the power supply fan but don't know what an n.b. fan
is.

I will check out this speed fan. thanks for the tip.

I have gone into the bios and set the power supply fan there to low. I
had it on ultra-low but that did not seem to keep the pc cool enough.

I tend to err on the side of caution so I don't think I'll be trading
the vid card fan for a heatsink. At least the sound isn't high pitched.

In article <1109793893.439067.73160@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Flaig <BFlaig@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am starting to suspect the graphics card as the noisiest.

Try pulling out power cord of the graphics adapter's fan, and turn the
computer back on for a little while. Then you'll know. Graphics cards
can indeed be the cause of quite a lot of hum these days.

> I saw some pics on one guy's site where he had taken the fan off his
> graphics card and screwed a big heat sink into it.

Yep, passive cooling. Make sure you've got some program to monitor the
temperature within the computer when you change cooling systems, so if
things start getting too warm, you can switch back. SpeedFan[0] is
quite good, and popular too. Run it some time before making any changes
in the computer, so you'll get the hang of what the temperatures you're
working from. My sensors report somewhere between 37C and 45C. I don't
know exactly which sensor represents which sensor, as i've explained in
message id <4213b898$0$10519$39db0f71@news.song.fi>.

> I'm not much of a modder

There's nothing to it. Just be gentle (no need to remind you of that,
i'm sure), take some grounding precautions and don't touch the computer
insides while it's turned on.

[0] available, free of charge, at http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

..mace --- bötro

ytrewq

If performance would be OK, consider a fanless graphic card like ATI 9600 by
Saphire.
==================
"Flaig" <BFlaig@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My old HP Tower was a lot quieter than this 8300 G5 I had built by
> Shuttle. I've had it for a few months now and thought I would just get
> used to it because my first computer was louder than this but it feels
> like going backward.
>
> I think its a really nice computer, but there ought to be truth in
> advertising. They should just focus on its other qualities and not snow
> people with the "quiet" jazz. Had I known how it really sounded, I
> probably would've opted for a different SFF solution. I guess that's
> why they fudge that stuff, they want your business.
>
> There's no rattle or ball bearing weirdness, just the constant fan
> sound. It's too small for sound dampening inside the case.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Flaig

My Dell is at work, and my home computer was not on the floor.

If I put the shuttle on the floor I will need to develop ape length
arms. I want to reach the dvd drive as needed.

I will need to find someone to mod the graphics fan for me. I paid too
much for the card to just yank it out.

Flaig wrote:

> If I put the shuttle on the floor I will need to develop ape length
> arms. I want to reach the dvd drive as needed.

Do like I did: put your Shuttle on its box... ;-)

Under my desk: box of Shuttle SB81P, Shuttle SB81P, Shuttle SB62G2. A
nice stack of 3 'units' that fits great! ;-)

Greetz,
Evert

I think it may be better for me to just get a passively cooled graphics
card and hope that i can find someone who'd like to buy the one I have
now.

The main reason I don't want to put it under the desk is that then I'd
have to decide on which of the tons of stuff under the desk to put on
top of it. I have reams of paper, external drives and so forth. I have
managed to fill most every inch of my work space with something.

I thought my Shuttle was noisy, so I unplugged each component (and each
fan on each component) separately today and I narrowed it down to 2
things (neither can be blamed on Shuttle):

1. fan on video card (so I bought a cheap replacement "PowerColor" card
that uses a heatsink)

2. my old Maxtor HD makes a continuous "whining" noise. So I'll replace
that with a newer HD.

With those problems resolved it's a very quite PC (even though it has a
fan on the Northbridge - I may replace that with a Zalman heatsink
eventually).