I have just replaced my mother board and processor in my computer, now Win XP
comes up with a blue screen and will not load. Any help?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:2749A488-D045-4D86-A2AA-EF88E020111A@microsoft.com,
KANLINK <KANLINK@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I have just replaced my mother board and processor in my computer,
> now Win XP comes up with a blue screen and will not load. Any help?

Chances are that you have to do a repair installation.

How to perform an inplace upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

Galen

A repair of XP, also called a repair installation, is usually required when
changing the motherboard. In theory, a repair should not erase any user
files or user-installed programs. However, a prudent user will have a
backup of all his persoanl data before doing a repair. If necessary, use
something like KNOPPIX, a free LINUX-on-CD, to copy pesonal files off of the
PC, for example, to a USB hard drive. of use a disk imaging program like
GHOST or True Image to save a snapshot of the partition (not the whole
disk), from which you can later extract selected files, if it becomes
necessary.

Here are some links about doing a repair:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3998,a=23979,00.asp

Note that you need a retail version of the XP CD (full or upgrade) to
perform a repair. An OEM version will not do it, because the OEM version is
supposed to be used only on the original hardware, and is not transferable
to other hardware.