Hard Disk Reliability

For IDE Hard Disk, what brand do you think is the most reliable?
9 answers Last reply
More about hard disk reliability

    Most realiable?

    Maxtor Maxline.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    "Music Lover" <music@my-heart.org> wrote in message

    > For IDE Hard Disk, what brand do you think is the most reliable?

    "Music Lover" <music@my-heart.org> wrote in message

    > For IDE Hard Disk, what brand do you think is the most reliable?

    I have had similar fail rates from all brands. Maxtor seems to have the
    easiest warranty to deal with.

    Kerry

    In article <ewoFAmORFHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
    Kerry Brown <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote:
    >"Music Lover" <music@my-heart.org> wrote in message
    >>

    >> For IDE Hard Disk, what brand do you think is the most reliable?
    >>

    >I have had similar fail rates from all brands. Maxtor seems to have the
    >easiest warranty to deal with.
    >
    >Kerry

    IMO, since you have to understand that the disk _you_ buy, no matter
    what brand, may die RIGHT NOW and treat your important data
    accordingly, I buy based on price and performance.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Take your pick
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Hard+drive+%225+year+warranty%22+IDE&btnG=Search

    "Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
    > Most realiable?
    >
    > Maxtor Maxline.
    >
    > Matt Gibson - GSEC
    >
    > "Music Lover" <music@my-heart.org> wrote in message
    >>

    >> For IDE Hard Disk, what brand do you think is the most reliable?

    Maxtor, Seagate, Western Digital are 3 common brands. I don't think one is
    more reliable than the other.
    Although other people would argue that statement.

    EviL.

    Yes, me being one of them.

    The Maxtor Maxline series is designed to be more reliable (higher MTBF) than
    the other brands.

    Note: There may be other models from the other manufacturers that offer a
    similar MTBF, but I'm not aware of it.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    "izzy" <123@23.co.nz> wrote in message

    > "Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
    >> Most realiable?
    >>
    >> Maxtor Maxline.
    >>
    >> Matt Gibson - GSEC
    >>
    >> "Music Lover" <music@my-heart.org> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> For IDE Hard Disk, what brand do you think is the most reliable?
    >
    > Maxtor, Seagate, Western Digital are 3 common brands. I don't think one
    > is more reliable than the other.
    > Although other people would argue that statement.
    >
    > EviL.

    I've had never had a maxtor drive last longer than 2yrs. So I will get
    nothing but WD drives.

    > Yes, me being one of them.
    >
    > The Maxtor Maxline series is designed to be more reliable (higher MTBF)
    than
    > the other brands.
    >
    > Note: There may be other models from the other manufacturers that offer a
    > similar MTBF, but I'm not aware of it.
    >
    > Matt Gibson - GSEC
    >
    > "izzy" <123@23.co.nz> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
    > >> Most realiable?
    > >>
    > >> Maxtor Maxline.
    > >>
    > >> Matt Gibson - GSEC
    > >>
    > >> "Music Lover" <music@my-heart.org> wrote in message

    > > Maxtor, Seagate, Western Digital are 3 common brands. I don't think
    one
    > > is more reliable than the other.
    > > Although other people would argue that statement.
    > >
    > > EviL.

    HD manufacturers' reliability data are mostly unreliable, result from
    accelerated test projections, and are not based on real-world test
    conditions. The fact is that if hard drives were tested to failure in real
    time, using real-world test conditions, by the time results were available
    the drives in question would be hopelessly obsolete. MTBF is a very slippery
    slope, and is commonly misused as a *predictor* of the life of a given
    product. It has a brother--MTTF--(Mean Time To Failure) which would probably
    be a better indicator, but I guess MTBF is more sexy for some reason.

    Music Lover wrote:
    > For IDE Hard Disk, what brand do you think is the most reliable?

    Understand, you can get a lemon with any of them, however I have had my best
    success with Western Digital.

    --
    Don Burnette

    "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
    way of the man that's doing it."

Hardware Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP Product