Hard Disk Reliability

For IDE Hard Disk, what brand do you think is the most reliable?

Most realiable?

Maxtor Maxline.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"Music Lover" <music@my-heart.org> wrote in message

> For IDE Hard Disk, what brand do you think is the most reliable?

"Music Lover" <music@my-heart.org> wrote in message

> For IDE Hard Disk, what brand do you think is the most reliable?

I have had similar fail rates from all brands. Maxtor seems to have the
easiest warranty to deal with.

Kerry

In article <ewoFAmORFHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
Kerry Brown <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote:
>"Music Lover" <music@my-heart.org> wrote in message
>>

>> For IDE Hard Disk, what brand do you think is the most reliable?
>>

>I have had similar fail rates from all brands. Maxtor seems to have the
>easiest warranty to deal with.
>
>Kerry

IMO, since you have to understand that the disk _you_ buy, no matter
what brand, may die RIGHT NOW and treat your important data
accordingly, I buy based on price and performance.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

izzy

"Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
> Most realiable?
>
> Maxtor Maxline.
>
> Matt Gibson - GSEC
>
> "Music Lover" <music@my-heart.org> wrote in message
>>

>> For IDE Hard Disk, what brand do you think is the most reliable?

Maxtor, Seagate, Western Digital are 3 common brands. I don't think one is
more reliable than the other.
Although other people would argue that statement.

EviL.

Yes, me being one of them.

The Maxtor Maxline series is designed to be more reliable (higher MTBF) than
the other brands.

Note: There may be other models from the other manufacturers that offer a
similar MTBF, but I'm not aware of it.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"izzy" <123@23.co.nz> wrote in message

> "Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
>> Most realiable?
>>
>> Maxtor Maxline.
>>
>> Matt Gibson - GSEC
>>
>> "Music Lover" <music@my-heart.org> wrote in message
>>>

>>> For IDE Hard Disk, what brand do you think is the most reliable?
>
> Maxtor, Seagate, Western Digital are 3 common brands. I don't think one
> is more reliable than the other.
> Although other people would argue that statement.
>
> EviL.

I've had never had a maxtor drive last longer than 2yrs. So I will get
nothing but WD drives.

> Yes, me being one of them.
>
> The Maxtor Maxline series is designed to be more reliable (higher MTBF)
than
> the other brands.
>
> Note: There may be other models from the other manufacturers that offer a
> similar MTBF, but I'm not aware of it.
>
> Matt Gibson - GSEC
>
> "izzy" <123@23.co.nz> wrote in message
> >
> > "Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
> >> Most realiable?
> >>
> >> Maxtor Maxline.
> >>
> >> Matt Gibson - GSEC
> >>
> >> "Music Lover" <music@my-heart.org> wrote in message

> > Maxtor, Seagate, Western Digital are 3 common brands. I don't think
one
> > is more reliable than the other.
> > Although other people would argue that statement.
> >
> > EviL.

HD manufacturers' reliability data are mostly unreliable, result from
accelerated test projections, and are not based on real-world test
conditions. The fact is that if hard drives were tested to failure in real
time, using real-world test conditions, by the time results were available
the drives in question would be hopelessly obsolete. MTBF is a very slippery
slope, and is commonly misused as a *predictor* of the life of a given
product. It has a brother--MTTF--(Mean Time To Failure) which would probably
be a better indicator, but I guess MTBF is more sexy for some reason.

Music Lover wrote:
> For IDE Hard Disk, what brand do you think is the most reliable?

Understand, you can get a lemon with any of them, however I have had my best
success with Western Digital.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."