Can read CDs and DVDs, but can't burn anything

diggy

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2004

If there is no cd in the drive, then Windows prepares to write the file to
the CD as expected. But when I put a blank cd in the drive, Windows doesn't
give me any option to burn the files. And also, if I start the process with
a cd in the drive, then Windows won't even copy a file to the special folder
called "CD Burning" (or something like that).

The drive can read CDs and DVDs ok, however . . .

peter

When you go to "My Computer" right click on your CD drive. Is there a
"Recording" tab there, if so make sure that burning is enabled on that tab.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"Diggy" <jamesOU812@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If there is no cd in the drive, then Windows prepares to write the file to
> the CD as expected. But when I put a blank cd in the drive, Windows
> doesn't
> give me any option to burn the files. And also, if I start the process
> with
> a cd in the drive, then Windows won't even copy a file to the special
> folder
> called "CD Burning" (or something like that).
>
> The drive can read CDs and DVDs ok, however . . .

diggy

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2004

Hi!
Yes, the "recording" tab is there, and the box is checked to allow burning.
I did notice something odd, though. When there is no CD in the drive, then
Explorer labels it as DVD/CD-RW. But as soon as I put in a recordable CD,
Explorer changes the drive's label to "CD Drive". I haven't changed brand
of CDs either. Do you think I have a hardware problem?
--
ICQ#
"Peter" <Peter at news.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| When you go to "My Computer" right click on your CD drive. Is there a
| "Recording" tab there, if so make sure that burning is enabled on that
tab.

| --
| Peter
| Toronto, Canada
| XP Home SP2
| P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
| "Diggy" <jamesOU812@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > If there is no cd in the drive, then Windows prepares to write the file
| > the CD as expected. But when I put a blank cd in the drive, Windows
| > doesn't
| > give me any option to burn the files. And also, if I start the process
| > with
| > a cd in the drive, then Windows won't even copy a file to the special
| > folder
| > called "CD Burning" (or something like that).
| >
| > The drive can read CDs and DVDs ok, however . . .

peter

I'm no expert here. That's very strange. Maybe you need UDF packet writing
software such as Nero INCD?