mame arcade controllers

i'm tired of using my keyboard as a controller so I want to buy an
arcade stick set. if anyone knows of one thats less than the hotrod and
supports 2 players i would greatly appreciate it.
11 answers Last reply
More about mame arcade controllers

    "TheBigB" <cybrian@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > i'm tired of using my keyboard as a controller so I want to buy an
    > arcade stick set. if anyone knows of one thats less than the hotrod and
    > supports 2 players i would greatly appreciate it

    X-Arcade is very highly recommended by me!

    I've had one 12 months now is it works seamlessly with mame and front ends.

    See the RetroBlast Reviews - http://www.retroblast.com/hardware.html

    "TheBigB" <cybrian@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > i'm tired of using my keyboard as a controller so I want to buy an
    > arcade stick set. if anyone knows of one thats less than the hotrod and
    > supports 2 players i would greatly appreciate it.

    well

    are you a good do it yourselfer?

    on ebay there always seems to be an auction for xarcade joys and
    buttons

    such as this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13718&item=6167491454&rd=1

    then you need to round up an i-pac

    or go the cheap way and use resistors and interface them to the
    gameport

    it gives me 1 joy and 6 buttons or 2 joys with 2 buttons each
    then select "2 2 button pads" as the driver or "6 button pad" driver
    says buttons 5 and 6 are up and left on joy 2

    or hack up a gamepad

    you are going to need a hunk of wood and a 1 1/8 drill bit i just
    drilled my cheapo phonywoodgrain particleboard desk

    James wrote:
    > See the RetroBlast Reviews - http://www.retroblast.com/hardware.html
    >

    > "TheBigB" <cybrian@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>i'm tired of using my keyboard as a controller so I want to buy an
    >>arcade stick set. if anyone knows of one thats less than the hotrod and
    >>supports 2 players i would greatly appreciate it.

    well there are only the 3 controllers that i already know about there. i
    see that the x-arcade is customizable but i could easily change the
    mappings in mame. does anyone know of one that's cheaper than the hotrod
    and supports 2 players?

    You could get two Playstation arcade controllers and 2 playstation to
    USB adaptors. I think that you can get everything on Ebay for less then
    $50.00.

    If you are using an operating system that doesn't support USB you can
    build your own 2 player controller.
    This site has everything you will need:
    http://www.ultimarc.com/
    Depending on controls you want, it should cost between $100.00 and
    $150.00 plus shipping.

    Ernest

    "Hitesh" <NoFookingReplyAddress@NoFookingReplyAddress.Com> wrote in

    > "TheBigB" <cybrian@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> i'm tired of using my keyboard as a controller so I want to buy an
    >> arcade stick set. if anyone knows of one thats less than the hotrod and
    >> supports 2 players i would greatly appreciate it
    >
    > X-Arcade is very highly recommended by me!
    >
    > I've had one 12 months now is it works seamlessly with mame and front ends.

    Yeah, I'm inclined to consider that as well, but if you remember the original
    post, the X-Arcade 2-player unit is MORE expensive than the HotRod, not less.
    :-)

    Hi there,

    If you are in Australia then look us up. Unlike some others, we offer different button layouts and colours as well as a few
    other options.

    Cheers,
    ChrisW
    www.ozstick.com.au

    2000man@wongfaye.com wrote:
    > well
    >
    > are you a good do it yourselfer?
    >
    > on ebay there always seems to be an auction for xarcade joys and
    > buttons
    >
    > such as this
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13718&item=6167491454&rd=1
    >
    > then you need to round up an i-pac
    >
    > or go the cheap way and use resistors and interface them to the
    > gameport
    >
    > it gives me 1 joy and 6 buttons or 2 joys with 2 buttons each
    > then select "2 2 button pads" as the driver or "6 button pad" driver
    > says buttons 5 and 6 are up and left on joy 2
    >
    > or hack up a gamepad
    >
    > you are going to need a hunk of wood and a 1 1/8 drill bit i just
    > drilled my cheapo phonywoodgrain particleboard desk

    well i read a big into it and i would rather build my own arcade cabinet
    with a control panel i build myself. i have an old 400mhz amd k6-2. if
    that's good enough for mame i'll try that out. there's a thrift store
    near my house that always has monitors in stock for around $15-$50 usd.
    thanks for all your help.

    TheBigB <cybrian@gmail.com> wrote in news:xrK3e.21135$KZ1.8072@fe09.lga:

    > i'm tired of using my keyboard as a controller so I want to buy an
    > arcade stick set. if anyone knows of one thats less than the hotrod and
    > supports 2 players i would greatly appreciate it.

    I bought one from here: http://www.projektprodukt.com/
    Completely custom for my needs. It was a bit more than the hot rod, but it
    is EXACTLY what I was looking for, and the finish is even customized to my
    needs.
    These pics don't do it justice, but you can have a look here:
    http://justcalllance.com/RightTop.jpg
    Good luck.

    Oh, almost forgot... I've had it for just about 2 weeks now, and
    absolutely LOVE it!!! It works just as advertised.

    ICP <ICT@ICT.com> wrote in news:Xns9631AB892ACICPICPcom@199.45.49.11:

    > I bought one from here: http://www.projektprodukt.com/
    > Completely custom for my needs. It was a bit more than the hot rod, but
    > it is EXACTLY what I was looking for, and the finish is even customized
    > to my needs.
    > These pics don't do it justice, but you can have a look here:
    > http://justcalllance.com/RightTop.jpg
    > Good luck.

    Thanks for posting. That 2-player unit with the trackball looks like a
    contender at $200. I found that the various finishes as portrayed on the site
    don't really suit me (too oddball), but the function looks good and makes for
    a decent value.

    When I saw the large Atari 2600 controller, at first I thought: "Sheesh! All
    that real estate for just one stick and one button! For $50!" And then, after
    about ten seconds, I realized that someone who was really passionate about
    Atari 2600 games (and for that matter, Atari 5200/7800, Atari 400/800,
    Commodore ViC-20/64/128/Amiga) would probably enjoy that stick immensely.

    Hung N <find@my.crack> wrote in

    > Thanks for posting. That 2-player unit with the trackball looks like a
    > contender at $200. I found that the various finishes as portrayed on
    > the site don't really suit me (too oddball), but the function looks
    > good and makes for a decent value.
    >
    > When I saw the large Atari 2600 controller, at first I thought:
    > "Sheesh! All that real estate for just one stick and one button! For
    > $50!" And then, after about ten seconds, I realized that someone who
    > was really passionate about Atari 2600 games (and for that matter,
    > Atari 5200/7800, Atari 400/800, Commodore ViC-20/64/128/Amiga) would
    > probably enjoy that stick immensely.

    That's the thing, they are completely custom. You want a different
    finish? Just ask, he'll do it. Want more/less buttons... no problem.
    Need USB, PlayStation, Com, Serial, ps/2 connectivity? He's got that as
    well.
    I know, I sound like a commercial, but I'm just EXTREMELY happy with
    mine... in fact, I'm gonna go play a few rounds of Rampage, or Donkey
    Kong with the kids now!!

Controller Games Keyboards Video Games Product