Sharing folders on a network

I am using Windows XP. I have a wireless network but want to share some
folders with another computer in my house. When I run the wizard to add a
new network place, it starts asking me to transfer settings from one
computer to another with a flash drive etc. I am not very sure about the
whole process and would like to read about it further. Are there any good
guides to the process available on the net? Alteratively, could somebody
describe the basic process? Thanks in advance.

This link here has information on file sharing for Windows XP home edition.
For file sharing to work you essentially need to have a small network setup
that includes the two computers. This article outlines this process
and is divided into eight parts ( part 7 deals with file sharing). Here is
the link.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814004 ( part 7)

You can find links to the other parts in the reference section at the end of
the article.

"C Tate" <colin@nobodyhere.mrcrtate.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am using Windows XP. I have a wireless network but want to share some
> folders with another computer in my house. When I run the wizard to add a
> new network place, it starts asking me to transfer settings from one
> computer to another with a flash drive etc. I am not very sure about the
> whole process and would like to read about it further. Are there any good
> guides to the process available on the net? Alteratively, could somebody
> describe the basic process? Thanks in advance.

Josiah

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

i would suggest that you map network drives instead of sharing the files over
the network. it is much better i think. cause then those drives just show up
under my computer. after you have set up your home network you can just
simply right click on my computer and go to map network drive. when the
window opens up to select your drive letter and then use the browse button
next to the folder drop down menu and navigate to the other computer and find
the drive on that computer you want to accses... ... i think that is the
easiest way to do it but... thats just me:) oh yeah and to create a home
network you dont have to do the whole taking a flash usb drive to each
computer just run the same wizard you did on the first computer on the second
computer and use the same Network name and there ya go you have a home
network... dont let it confuse you too much its simple:)