Not recognizing hardware

Good day. Thank you for taking your time to review & possibly answer this
post. Here are my symptoms:

The computer recognizes that a CD drive is installed (control
panel/system/hardware/device manager) but claims that the drivers are not
installed. When I try to update the drivers it claims that the best drivers
already exist. I uninstalled the device (both physically and through
Uninstall Device) and restarted machine. XP recognizes 'new' hardware but
does not ever give me the bubble that says 'new hardware ready for use'. I
am positive that the hardware is 'good'.
I have run NAV 2005 scan (with today's updates) and both Adaaware and
Spybot, each updated through today.
WinXP is OEM version on a Dell 4600.
Where do you suggest I look next?

Again, thank you very much for your time.

Don in Tucson
AizA
dwinfield@gainusa.com

What is the exact text of the error message? Meanwhile, take a read
through:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324129
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"AizA" <AizA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good day. Thank you for taking your time to review & possibly answer this
> post. Here are my symptoms:
>
> The computer recognizes that a CD drive is installed (control
> panel/system/hardware/device manager) but claims that the drivers are not
> installed. When I try to update the drivers it claims that the best
> drivers
> already exist. I uninstalled the device (both physically and through
> Uninstall Device) and restarted machine. XP recognizes 'new' hardware but
> does not ever give me the bubble that says 'new hardware ready for use'.
> am positive that the hardware is 'good'.
> I have run NAV 2005 scan (with today's updates) and both Adaaware and
> Spybot, each updated through today.
> WinXP is OEM version on a Dell 4600.
> Where do you suggest I look next?
>
> Again, thank you very much for your time.
>
> Don in Tucson
> AizA
> dwinfield@gainusa.com

Thanx for the quick reply .... but there is no error message. It simply acts
as though the CD drive is not there .. My Computer does not show a "D" drive.
So I am not getting an error message, per se.
I peeked at the site you sent me ... I will spend some more time in there
this afternoon, but the questions posed there do not seem to be relative to
my situation.
This machine was a perfectly operating machine with this particular drive in
the recent past. Now, however, it does not see the drive that it has always
had in it.
So I uninstalled it and the bubble comes up that shows "Found new hardware
CD-RW XXXXXX" but it never shows the ready to use bubble. Device manager
shows the CD drive being there .. name and all, but with a yellow exclamation
point. Properties won't let me update the driver coz it says the best one is
already installed.
So it appears as though the driver is there, but not driving the gear, you
know?

Thanx again. I'll keep an eye out for your next suggestion; they are each
appreciated.

Don

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> What is the exact text of the error message? Meanwhile, take a read
> through:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324129
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "AizA" <AizA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Good day. Thank you for taking your time to review & possibly answer this
> > post. Here are my symptoms:
> >
> > The computer recognizes that a CD drive is installed (control
> > panel/system/hardware/device manager) but claims that the drivers are not
> > installed. When I try to update the drivers it claims that the best
> > drivers
> > already exist. I uninstalled the device (both physically and through
> > Uninstall Device) and restarted machine. XP recognizes 'new' hardware but
> > does not ever give me the bubble that says 'new hardware ready for use'.
> > am positive that the hardware is 'good'.
> > I have run NAV 2005 scan (with today's updates) and both Adaaware and
> > Spybot, each updated through today.
> > WinXP is OEM version on a Dell 4600.
> > Where do you suggest I look next?
> >
> > Again, thank you very much for your time.
> >
> > Don in Tucson
> > AizA
> > dwinfield@gainusa.com

TRENDING THREADS