video cards

Hi
I am confused. I am getting information from PC shops that these below cards
dont play games well. They are only entry level cards I am told and if you
want to play games a lot you shouldnt use these. (buy much more expensive
ones)

I only want to play games sometimes (not every day and not hours on end)
I want to be able to run latest directX at least.

The games I want to run from shops dont require 128mb cards only 8-64cards
at most.

I am looking at getting
Gigabyte Radeon 9250 128Mb / 9200SE 128Mb
GIGABYTE ATI Radeon 9550 128Mb
GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128Mb
PowerColor 9250 128Mb

q)Are these cards good enough for that
q) what dont they do compared to more expensive cards.
q) whats does 64bit and 128 bit mean with cards
8 answers Last reply
More about video cards

    Hi,

    I recommend nvidia GF6600GT 128MB, around $150 to $200.
    This card support the latest Direct Xc and open GL1.5 124bit

    Peter

    "gp" wrote:

    > Hi
    > I am confused. I am getting information from PC shops that these below cards
    > dont play games well. They are only entry level cards I am told and if you
    > want to play games a lot you shouldnt use these. (buy much more expensive
    > ones)
    >
    > I only want to play games sometimes (not every day and not hours on end)
    > I want to be able to run latest directX at least.
    >
    > The games I want to run from shops dont require 128mb cards only 8-64cards
    > at most.
    >
    > I am looking at getting
    > Gigabyte Radeon 9250 128Mb / 9200SE 128Mb
    > GIGABYTE ATI Radeon 9550 128Mb
    > GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128Mb
    > PowerColor 9250 128Mb
    >
    > q)Are these cards good enough for that
    > q) what dont they do compared to more expensive cards.
    > q) whats does 64bit and 128 bit mean with cards

    Hi,

    Futher to my previous reply:

    All the cards mentioned by you do NOT support the latest Direct X 9.0C. They
    are only good for Direct X 8.0

    Other than GF6600GT 128MB, the GF6600 256MB is the other choice, around $120

    Peter

    "gp" wrote:

    > Hi
    > I am confused. I am getting information from PC shops that these below cards
    > dont play games well. They are only entry level cards I am told and if you
    > want to play games a lot you shouldnt use these. (buy much more expensive
    > ones)
    >
    > I only want to play games sometimes (not every day and not hours on end)
    > I want to be able to run latest directX at least.
    >
    > The games I want to run from shops dont require 128mb cards only 8-64cards
    > at most.
    >
    > I am looking at getting
    > Gigabyte Radeon 9250 128Mb / 9200SE 128Mb
    > GIGABYTE ATI Radeon 9550 128Mb
    > GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128Mb
    > PowerColor 9250 128Mb
    >
    > q)Are these cards good enough for that
    > q) what dont they do compared to more expensive cards.
    > q) whats does 64bit and 128 bit mean with cards

    incorrect.

    Both the 9550 and 5200 are DX9 cards. The other two are DX8.1 cards.

    Unfortunately, even these cards stink at 3D. Looks like your budget is
    around $50 - $60. You might find a better used card on eBay or at a computer
    show. Ati 9700's & nVidia 5900's are easy to find as people upgrade to the
    latest & greatest.

    > Hi,
    >
    > Futher to my previous reply:
    >
    > All the cards mentioned by you do NOT support the latest Direct X 9.0C.
    They
    > are only good for Direct X 8.0
    >
    > Other than GF6600GT 128MB, the GF6600 256MB is the other choice, around
    $120

    > Peter
    >

    > "gp" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > > I am confused. I am getting information from PC shops that these below
    cards
    > > dont play games well. They are only entry level cards I am told and if
    you
    > > want to play games a lot you shouldnt use these. (buy much more
    expensive
    > > ones)
    > >
    > > I only want to play games sometimes (not every day and not hours on end)
    > > I want to be able to run latest directX at least.
    > >
    > > The games I want to run from shops dont require 128mb cards only
    8-64cards
    > > at most.
    > >
    > > I am looking at getting
    > > Gigabyte Radeon 9250 128Mb / 9200SE 128Mb
    > > GIGABYTE ATI Radeon 9550 128Mb
    > > GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128Mb
    > > PowerColor 9250 128Mb
    > >
    > > q)Are these cards good enough for that
    > > q) what dont they do compared to more expensive cards.
    > > q) whats does 64bit and 128 bit mean with cards

    They only support Direct X 9.0 but NOT the latest Direct X9.0C

    Peter

    "Rube" wrote:

    > incorrect.
    >
    > Both the 9550 and 5200 are DX9 cards. The other two are DX8.1 cards.
    >
    > Unfortunately, even these cards stink at 3D. Looks like your budget is
    > around $50 - $60. You might find a better used card on eBay or at a computer
    > show. Ati 9700's & nVidia 5900's are easy to find as people upgrade to the
    > latest & greatest.
    >

    > "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Futher to my previous reply:
    > >
    > > All the cards mentioned by you do NOT support the latest Direct X 9.0C.
    > They
    > > are only good for Direct X 8.0
    > >
    > > Other than GF6600GT 128MB, the GF6600 256MB is the other choice, around
    > $120
    > >
    > > Peter
    > >

    > > "gp" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi
    > > > I am confused. I am getting information from PC shops that these below
    > cards
    > > > dont play games well. They are only entry level cards I am told and if
    > you
    > > > want to play games a lot you shouldnt use these. (buy much more
    > expensive
    > > > ones)
    > > >
    > > > I only want to play games sometimes (not every day and not hours on end)
    > > > I want to be able to run latest directX at least.
    > > >
    > > > The games I want to run from shops dont require 128mb cards only
    > 8-64cards
    > > > at most.
    > > >
    > > > I am looking at getting
    > > > Gigabyte Radeon 9250 128Mb / 9200SE 128Mb
    > > > GIGABYTE ATI Radeon 9550 128Mb
    > > > GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128Mb
    > > > PowerColor 9250 128Mb
    > > >
    > > > q)Are these cards good enough for that
    > > > q) what dont they do compared to more expensive cards.
    > > > q) whats does 64bit and 128 bit mean with cards

    Can you provide a link?

    As far as I know, DX90c is 100% compatible with the 9550 assuming you have
    the latest Catalyst drivers installed. However, the card does not support
    100% of DX90c's features/capabilities. For that matter, only a few cards do.
    Is that what you were implying?

    GP wrote:
    > end)

    I want to point out that GP want the card to support the latest DX and
    DX9.0C is the latest version at present. DX9.0C is backward compatible with
    the previous versions of DX. But if you want to get use with the full
    features of DX9.0C within a limited budget, nvidia GF 6600 or GF6600GT are
    the choice.
    Go to nvidia.com or do a google search and you'll get thousands of comments
    on these products.
    Below is one of the links:
    http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/3d_graphic/overview.asp?lineid=1&pronameid=160

    Peter

    "Rube" wrote:

    > Can you provide a link?
    >
    > As far as I know, DX90c is 100% compatible with the 9550 assuming you have
    > the latest Catalyst drivers installed. However, the card does not support
    > 100% of DX90c's features/capabilities. For that matter, only a few cards do.
    > Is that what you were implying?
    >

    > "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > They only support Direct X 9.0 but NOT the latest Direct X9.0C
    > >
    > > Peter
    > >

    > > "Rube" wrote:
    > >
    > > > incorrect.
    > > >
    > > > Both the 9550 and 5200 are DX9 cards. The other two are DX8.1 cards.
    > > >
    > > > Unfortunately, even these cards stink at 3D. Looks like your budget is
    > > > around $50 - $60. You might find a better used card on eBay or at a
    > computer
    > > > show. Ati 9700's & nVidia 5900's are easy to find as people upgrade to
    > the
    > > > latest & greatest.
    > > >

    > > > "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > 9.0C.
    > > > They

    > around
    > > > $120

    > below
    > > > cards
    > if
    > > > you
    > > > expensive

    > end)

    > > > 8-64cards

    GP and Rube,

    More links tfor review:

    http://www.gdhardware.com/hardware/video_cards/nvidia/6600gt/002.htm
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Previews/6600bench1/index.html
    http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=590&pid=2238
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/nv6600gtagp/index.html
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/nv6600gtagp/11.html
    http://www.gdhardware.com/hardware/video_cards/bfgtech/6600gt/001.htm
    http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzMzLDE0

    Peter

    "Peter" wrote:

    > Hi,

    > > end)
    >

    > I want to point out that GP want the card to support the latest DX and
    > DX9.0C is the latest version at present. DX9.0C is backward compatible with
    > the previous versions of DX. But if you want to get use with the full
    > features of DX9.0C within a limited budget, nvidia GF 6600 or GF6600GT are
    > the choice.
    > Go to nvidia.com or do a google search and you'll get thousands of comments
    > on these products.
    > Below is one of the links:
    > http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/3d_graphic/overview.asp?lineid=1&pronameid=160
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > "Rube" wrote:
    >
    > > Can you provide a link?
    > >
    > > As far as I know, DX90c is 100% compatible with the 9550 assuming you have
    > > the latest Catalyst drivers installed. However, the card does not support
    > > 100% of DX90c's features/capabilities. For that matter, only a few cards do.
    > > Is that what you were implying?
    > >

    > > "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > They only support Direct X 9.0 but NOT the latest Direct X9.0C
    > > >
    > > > Peter

    > > computer
    > > the

    > > 9.0C.

    > > around

    > > below
    > > if

    > > end)

    All well & good Peter. However, I think you are missing the OP's intent.
    Sure, he'd like a 6600, but his budget can't afford it. I mean, c'mon, he's
    looking at $50 cards. What makes you think he's going to quadruple his
    budget to get support for a feature that most games don't even use now?

    > Hi,

    > > end)
    >

    > I want to point out that GP want the card to support the latest DX and
    > DX9.0C is the latest version at present. DX9.0C is backward compatible
    with
    > the previous versions of DX. But if you want to get use with the full
    > features of DX9.0C within a limited budget, nvidia GF 6600 or GF6600GT are
    > the choice.
    > Go to nvidia.com or do a google search and you'll get thousands of
    comments
    > on these products.
    > Below is one of the links:

    http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/3d_graphic/overview.asp?lineid=1&pronameid=160

    > Peter
    >

    > "Rube" wrote:
    >
    > > Can you provide a link?
    > >
    > > As far as I know, DX90c is 100% compatible with the 9550 assuming you
    have
    > > the latest Catalyst drivers installed. However, the card does not
    support
    > > 100% of DX90c's features/capabilities. For that matter, only a few cards
    do.
    > > Is that what you were implying?
    > >

    > > "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > They only support Direct X 9.0 but NOT the latest Direct X9.0C
    > > >
    > > > Peter

    > > computer
    > > the

    > > 9.0C.