Removable drive C: ... is it what?

Hello.

After fresh WinXP installation on new computer (VIA Epia, all chipset
drivers installed) I've found
USB Drive C: (removable) of size =0bytes and a "safely remove device"
icon in the tray.

What is that drive if nothing at all is attached to USB connectors on
the MotherBoard?
I want to remove it and to have good old drive C: there because many
software packages use
it directly (letter C: for drive name).

The USB drive is reported in the registry as a Mass Storage class and a
driver for it I see
Microsoft Generic. Could I somewhere find VID/FID for this fanthom?
Please suggest.

How anything could pass USB enumeration if none is there?

------------
3 questions total ;-)
Thank you very much in adv.

Sergei, rt click on MyComputer>select Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>USB
Controllers>rt click on each one
and choose Uninstall. Restart.
"Sergei Vlasov" <sv_nospam@sp.ia.e.nsk.su> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> After fresh WinXP installation on new computer (VIA Epia, all chipset
> drivers installed) I've found
> USB Drive C: (removable) of size =0bytes and a "safely remove device" icon
> in the tray.
>
> What is that drive if nothing at all is attached to USB connectors on the
> MotherBoard?
> I want to remove it and to have good old drive C: there because many
> software packages use
> it directly (letter C: for drive name).
>
> The USB drive is reported in the registry as a Mass Storage class and a
> driver for it I see
> Microsoft Generic. Could I somewhere find VID/FID for this fanthom? Please
> suggest.
>
> How anything could pass USB enumeration if none is there?
>
> ------------
> 3 questions total ;-)
> Thank you very much in adv.

Nope, this didn't help. For a good reason. When I removed registry entry
USBSTOR and
restarted computer, I've found USBSTOR back in there with VIA6502
entries in.
This is compact flash. Seems that It enumerates even if no CF is in
there.
Later I'll try to insert one.

And now I know a straight forward way to find what is actually attached
to Usb:
USBview utility.