IBM R32 Processor Upgrade

Hello again,
I have an IBM R32 Laptop, and i have upgraded quite a bit since i got
the machine, i am looking to now upgrade my processor, at the moment i
have a P4 1 Ghz and would like to get between 1.6 - 2.0ghz if these are
the correct terms.

Are processor upgrades universal i.e. could i buy one off eBay,
obvoiusly i would find out speeds and specs I will not be installing
myself, a qualified technician would do this for me.

If anyone can offer any assistance no matter how big or small please
reply.

Thanks,

Pete

--
BigFatGoalie

bar

Laptops are not user friendly for this upgrade.

Memory is a quick, flip open the little cover and snap in a module: Hard
Drive pretty similar.

CPU is usually a case of pull the whole contraption apart, unplug a few
dozen wires, then if you're lucky the CPU is on a sub assembly that needs to
be unsoldered etc.

Save you money and buy a cheap 2.8GHz Laptop...starting at aound US $ 700
these days and good features.

"BigFatGoalie" wrote:

> Hello again,
> I have an IBM R32 Laptop, and i have upgraded quite a bit since i got
> the machine, i am looking to now upgrade my processor, at the moment i
> have a P4 1 Ghz and would like to get between 1.6 - 2.0ghz if these are
> the correct terms.
>
> Are processor upgrades universal i.e. could i buy one off eBay,
> obvoiusly i would find out speeds and specs I will not be installing
> myself, a qualified technician would do this for me.
>
> If anyone can offer any assistance no matter how big or small please
> reply.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pete
>

> --
> BigFatGoalie

IBM is your best source of information.. I have never come across a ThinkPad
that has the option of upgrading the processor, but you can check with them
to confirm..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"BigFatGoalie" <BigFatGoalie.1nsbpn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Hello again,
> I have an IBM R32 Laptop, and i have upgraded quite a bit since i got
> the machine, i am looking to now upgrade my processor, at the moment i
> have a P4 1 Ghz and would like to get between 1.6 - 2.0ghz if these are
> the correct terms.
>
> Are processor upgrades universal i.e. could i buy one off eBay,
> obvoiusly i would find out speeds and specs I will not be installing
> myself, a qualified technician would do this for me.
>
> If anyone can offer any assistance no matter how big or small please
> reply.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pete
>

> --
> BigFatGoalie

Even if you successfully upgraded the processor, you might have problems
with overheating after upgrading to a more powerful processor. Laptops have
a hard enough time maintaining optimal operating temperatures with their
original factory configuration.