IBM R32 Processor Upgrade

Hello again,
I have an IBM R32 Laptop, and i have upgraded quite a bit since i got
the machine, i am looking to now upgrade my processor, at the moment i
have a P4 1 Ghz and would like to get between 1.6 - 2.0ghz if these are
the correct terms.

Are processor upgrades universal i.e. could i buy one off eBay,
obvoiusly i would find out speeds and specs I will not be installing
myself, a qualified technician would do this for me.

If anyone can offer any assistance no matter how big or small please
reply.

Thanks,

Pete

--
BigFatGoalie
3 answers Last reply

    Laptops are not user friendly for this upgrade.

    Memory is a quick, flip open the little cover and snap in a module: Hard
    Drive pretty similar.

    CPU is usually a case of pull the whole contraption apart, unplug a few
    dozen wires, then if you're lucky the CPU is on a sub assembly that needs to
    be unsoldered etc.

    Save you money and buy a cheap 2.8GHz Laptop...starting at aound US $ 700
    these days and good features.

    "BigFatGoalie" wrote:

    > Hello again,
    > I have an IBM R32 Laptop, and i have upgraded quite a bit since i got
    > the machine, i am looking to now upgrade my processor, at the moment i
    > have a P4 1 Ghz and would like to get between 1.6 - 2.0ghz if these are
    > the correct terms.
    >
    > Are processor upgrades universal i.e. could i buy one off eBay,
    > obvoiusly i would find out speeds and specs I will not be installing
    > myself, a qualified technician would do this for me.
    >
    > If anyone can offer any assistance no matter how big or small please
    > reply.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Pete
    >

    > --
    > BigFatGoalie

    IBM is your best source of information.. I have never come across a ThinkPad
    that has the option of upgrading the processor, but you can check with them
    to confirm..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "BigFatGoalie" <BigFatGoalie.1nsbpn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Hello again,
    > I have an IBM R32 Laptop, and i have upgraded quite a bit since i got
    > the machine, i am looking to now upgrade my processor, at the moment i
    > have a P4 1 Ghz and would like to get between 1.6 - 2.0ghz if these are
    > the correct terms.
    >
    > Are processor upgrades universal i.e. could i buy one off eBay,
    > obvoiusly i would find out speeds and specs I will not be installing
    > myself, a qualified technician would do this for me.
    >
    > If anyone can offer any assistance no matter how big or small please
    > reply.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Pete
    >

    > --
    > BigFatGoalie

    Even if you successfully upgraded the processor, you might have problems
    with overheating after upgrading to a more powerful processor. Laptops have
    a hard enough time maintaining optimal operating temperatures with their
    original factory configuration.

    "BigFatGoalie" <BigFatGoalie.1nsbpn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Hello again,
    > I have an IBM R32 Laptop, and i have upgraded quite a bit since i got
    > the machine, i am looking to now upgrade my processor, at the moment i
    > have a P4 1 Ghz and would like to get between 1.6 - 2.0ghz if these are
    > the correct terms.
    >
    > Are processor upgrades universal i.e. could i buy one off eBay,
    > obvoiusly i would find out speeds and specs I will not be installing
    > myself, a qualified technician would do this for me.
    >
    > If anyone can offer any assistance no matter how big or small please
    > reply.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Pete
    >

    > --