Black hole like Hard Drive device (weird hey!?)

Sly

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Good day ladies, gentlemen,

I'm having a problem sharing the NUL. device. Well actually it's shared and
mapped, but I cannot write to it. And that's what I would like to do.

We need to be able to write to a virtual device that won't keep the infos
and won't complain that there is not enough disk space and won't complain at
all that is! ;)
I hope the Black Hole idea is clearer now !!

What I tried is :

Sharing the Recycle Bin
Sharing c:\nul.
Sharing /dev/null on linux thru Samba

Anyhow the mapped drive cannot be used (The OS complain that the device is
not usable).

Anyone got something working?

Any product that will do the trick?

Thanks

Sly

Why share it? Just let everyone use his/her own.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:14:17 -0400, "SLY"
<Sylvain.Vaillancourt.remove-spam@nospam.sit.ulaval.ca> wrote:

>Good day ladies, gentlemen,
>
>I'm having a problem sharing the NUL. device. Well actually it's shared and
>mapped, but I cannot write to it. And that's what I would like to do.
>
>We need to be able to write to a virtual device that won't keep the infos
>and won't complain that there is not enough disk space and won't complain at
>all that is! ;)
>I hope the Black Hole idea is clearer now !!
>
>What I tried is :
>
>Sharing the Recycle Bin
>Sharing c:\nul.
>Sharing /dev/null on linux thru Samba
>
>Anyhow the mapped drive cannot be used (The OS complain that the device is
>not usable).
>
>Anyone got something working?
>
>Any product that will do the trick?
>
>Thanks
>
>Sly

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

Sly

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Well Peter ... excellent question that should've been answered with my
problem description!

We use roaming profile on our domain and on a specific situation we don't
want the profile to be stored on the server (really).
So being able to have a «virtual black hole hard drive» would serve our
needs better than writing a script that will erase specific directories say
every 5 minutes! We just need to fool Windows that it's been able to upload
the profile at the right place.

Got it? My french is better than my english. Even for me, I sometime write
weird sentences !!! =)

Cheers,
Sly

"Peter R. Fletcher" <pfletch(at)fletchers(hyphen)uk.com> wrote in message
> Why share it? Just let everyone use his/her own.
>
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:14:17 -0400, "SLY"
> <Sylvain.Vaillancourt.remove-spam@nospam.sit.ulaval.ca> wrote:
>
>>Good day ladies, gentlemen,
>>
>>I'm having a problem sharing the NUL. device. Well actually it's shared
>>and
>>mapped, but I cannot write to it. And that's what I would like to do.
>>
>>We need to be able to write to a virtual device that won't keep the infos
>>and won't complain that there is not enough disk space and won't complain
>>at
>>all that is! ;)
>>I hope the Black Hole idea is clearer now !!
>>
>>What I tried is :
>>
>>Sharing the Recycle Bin
>>Sharing c:\nul.
>>Sharing /dev/null on linux thru Samba
>>
>>Anyhow the mapped drive cannot be used (The OS complain that the device is
>>not usable).
>>
>>Anyone got something working?
>>
>>Any product that will do the trick?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Sly
>>

> Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the
> exchange.
> Peter R. Fletcher

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

I understand the problem, but why is it not possible to map directly
to the local "nul" device, which should be a black hole for every
individual, albeit a "different" one for each.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:01:19 -0400, "SLY"
<Sylvain.Vaillancourt.remove-spam@nospam.sit.ulaval.ca> wrote:

>Well Peter ... excellent question that should've been answered with my
>problem description!
>
>We use roaming profile on our domain and on a specific situation we don't
>want the profile to be stored on the server (really).
>So being able to have a «virtual black hole hard drive» would serve our
>needs better than writing a script that will erase specific directories say
>every 5 minutes! We just need to fool Windows that it's been able to upload
>the profile at the right place.
>
>Got it? My french is better than my english. Even for me, I sometime write
>weird sentences !!! =)
>
>Cheers,
>Sly
>
>"Peter R. Fletcher" <pfletch(at)fletchers(hyphen)uk.com> wrote in message
>> Why share it? Just let everyone use his/her own.
>>
>> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:14:17 -0400, "SLY"
>> <Sylvain.Vaillancourt.remove-spam@nospam.sit.ulaval.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>Good day ladies, gentlemen,
>>>
>>>I'm having a problem sharing the NUL. device. Well actually it's shared
>>>and
>>>mapped, but I cannot write to it. And that's what I would like to do.
>>>
>>>We need to be able to write to a virtual device that won't keep the infos
>>>and won't complain that there is not enough disk space and won't complain
>>>at
>>>all that is! ;)
>>>I hope the Black Hole idea is clearer now !!
>>>
>>>What I tried is :
>>>
>>>Sharing the Recycle Bin
>>>Sharing c:\nul.
>>>Sharing /dev/null on linux thru Samba
>>>
>>>Anyhow the mapped drive cannot be used (The OS complain that the device is
>>>not usable).
>>>
>>>Anyone got something working?
>>>
>>>Any product that will do the trick?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Sly
>>>

>> Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the
>> exchange.
>> Peter R. Fletcher

>> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>> Newsgroups
>> =----

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

Sly

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Hey Peter!

This feature would be use for multiple child domains!
So having a «Fake» Profils Domain would serve the entire community!
I always keep in main to Keep It Simple and Stupid !
As computers ARE pretty stupid! ;)