CD/DVD Drives have dissapeared

April 20, 2005 3:16:02 PM

Hey Guyz, My Drives have dissapeared, They dont show in My Computer, Device
manager, BIOS or BIOS Start-up (Safe-Mode & Normal)

My specs are -

Win XP Pro
P4 2.66
512 MB Ram
1 x 20Gb Western Digital HDD
1 x 120gb Maxtor HDD
A-Open DVD +- R/RW
Artec CD-RW
Floppy Drive

I have/Had Nero 6 on the PC but 2 days ago, I tried to write a disk and
nothing happened, I thought something may have conflicted with it somewhere
so I restarted and the drives dissapeared, So I uninstalled Nero thinking it
was that and re-installed it, No luck, I uninstalled it again and restarted
and the drives were still gone.

Last night I tried swapping IDE 1 & 2 controllers with my HDD's and no luck,
The HDD's did read from the 2nd controller but the drives were not detected
in the 1st one, Thinging the ribbon cable was gone I replaced that with a new
one I recieved with my Mobo, and still no luck.

I then rolled the system back to a previous restoration point and that didnt
work either.

After all this I took the 'net and tried the few things I could find, I have
tried one of the things from another post in this forum, About deleting some
registry entries, But this hasn't seemed to work either, Although when I did
go though my registry i could only find LOWERFILTERS and could not locate the
UPPERFILTERS entry anywhere inside, unless this is under a different registry
entry, I don't know, But I'm at wits end and I'm hoping one of you guyz can
help me out here

More about : dvd drives dissapeared

April 20, 2005 6:32:59 PM

In news:191E44A5-4C2F-4576-91C9-66B2986E1F57@microsoft.com,
-Az- <-Az-@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hey Guyz, My Drives have dissapeared, They dont show in My Computer,
> Device manager, BIOS or BIOS Start-up (Safe-Mode & Normal)

Have you tried to check for new hardware using the add hardware wizard?

The filters, if they exist (and they should) can be found via a search of
the registry. You can try that instead of looking for a specific key?

What happens when you put a CD in there? Does the light come on at all?

Galen
April 20, 2005 6:33:00 PM

Nothing in BIOS would tend to indicate the Cable got pulled from the MB
socket or other hardware problem.

Galen wrote:

> In news:191E44A5-4C2F-4576-91C9-66B2986E1F57@microsoft.com,
> -Az- <-Az-@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>>Hey Guyz, My Drives have dissapeared, They dont show in My Computer,
>>Device manager, BIOS or BIOS Start-up (Safe-Mode & Normal)
>

> Have you tried to check for new hardware using the add hardware wizard?
>
> The filters, if they exist (and they should) can be found via a search of
> the registry. You can try that instead of looking for a specific key?
>
> What happens when you put a CD in there? Does the light come on at all?
>
> Galen
April 21, 2005 4:01:01 AM

@ Galen - Yes I have tried the Add Hardware and The actual Drives do read the
disk, But are not accessable to start from My Computer and they dont
Autoexec,

@ Bob - The cable is in an enclosed box and was attached properly when I
tried swapping controllers...

Thanks for the replies btw guyz but am stilll stuck on it :-S

"Bob I" wrote:

> Nothing in BIOS would tend to indicate the Cable got pulled from the MB
> socket or other hardware problem.
>
> Galen wrote:
>
> > In news:191E44A5-4C2F-4576-91C9-66B2986E1F57@microsoft.com,
> > -Az- <-Az-@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
> >
> > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
> >

> >>Hey Guyz, My Drives have dissapeared, They dont show in My Computer,
> >>Device manager, BIOS or BIOS Start-up (Safe-Mode & Normal)
> >

> > Have you tried to check for new hardware using the add hardware wizard?
> >
> > The filters, if they exist (and they should) can be found via a search of
> > the registry. You can try that instead of looking for a specific key?
> >
> > What happens when you put a CD in there? Does the light come on at all?
> >
> > Galen

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 12:13:31 PM

Given the additional information see this article.

-Az- wrote:

> @ Galen - Yes I have tried the Add Hardware and The actual Drives do read the
> disk, But are not accessable to start from My Computer and they dont
> Autoexec,
>
> @ Bob - The cable is in an enclosed box and was attached properly when I
> tried swapping controllers...
>
> Thanks for the replies btw guyz but am stilll stuck on it :-S

> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>Nothing in BIOS would tend to indicate the Cable got pulled from the MB
>>socket or other hardware problem.
>>
>>Galen wrote:
>>

>>>In news:191E44A5-4C2F-4576-91C9-66B2986E1F57@microsoft.com,
>>>-Az- <-Az-@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
>>>
>>> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

>>>Have you tried to check for new hardware using the add hardware wizard?
>>>
>>>The filters, if they exist (and they should) can be found via a search of
>>>the registry. You can try that instead of looking for a specific key?
>>>
>>>What happens when you put a CD in there? Does the light come on at all?
>>>
>>>Galen

April 21, 2005 5:25:52 PM

In news:o Emp%23PnRFHA.2252@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> had this to say:

> Given the additional information see this article.

Just to add more/alternate:

C Page - Windows XP from A to Z:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm

Scroll until you find the problem with CD and DVD not being listed in
Explorer...

Galen