Hi Arlene,

Being the techie geek that I am, allow me to make an adjustment to your
question, okay? :0)
Windows XP is the Operating System that is loaded/installed on your
harddrive, where all your programs you use are afterward installed that
XP runs, like Word, Exel, internet access, etc.

The motherboard is the physical, plastic square board that is screwed
onto the bottom of your metal computer case, and into which all your
physical components are plugged in to, such as your memory sticks
(RAM), CPU (main processor), Video card, sound card if you have one,
your harddrive data cable plugs into it, your CDrom or DVD player data
cable plugs into it, etc. etc. That's why it is called the MOTHERboard,
or more properly, the Mainboard, or slang term "Mobo".
So ... in answer to your question, you install the software Windows XP
on your harddrive, not on your motherboard.

If you are having problems and need individual attention, I might
suggest a general computer help forum might be more helpful that this
one which is rather specialized toward Shuttle mainboards. One of the
best around is www.suggestafix.com, which is geared to "newbies" that
need individual attention.

"ranchhand" wrote:
> Hi Arlene,
>
> Being the techie geek that I am, allow me to make an
> adjustment to your
> question, okay? :0)
> Windows XP is the Operating System that is loaded/installed
> on your
> harddrive, where all your programs you use are afterward
> installed that
> XP runs, like Word, Exel, internet access, etc.
>
> The motherboard is the physical, plastic square board that is
> screwed
> onto the bottom of your metal computer case, and into which
> all your
> physical components are plugged in to, such as your memory
> sticks
> (RAM), CPU (main processor), Video card, sound card if you
> have one,
> your harddrive data cable plugs into it, your CDrom or DVD
> player data
> cable plugs into it, etc. etc. That's why it is called the
> MOTHERboard,
> or more properly, the Mainboard, or slang term "Mobo".
> So ... in answer to your question, you install the software
> Windows XP
> on your harddrive, not on your motherboard.
>
> If you are having problems and need individual attention, I
> might
> suggest a general computer help forum might be more helpful
> that this
> one which is rather specialized toward Shuttle mainboards.
> One of the
> best around is www.suggestafix.com, which is geared to
> "newbies" that
> need individual attention.

Thank you very much, as you can tell i know nothing about computers..

I just put window 2000 on mine, and having just a little bit of
trouble, but might just be my internet provider trouble, so we will
see..

Everyone is saying why Window 2000, and not XP. I didnt know if my
MOBO could handle Xp... now i know its not the MOBO, its my
software...lol

Thanks for explaining all that to me..

Arlene

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Shuttle-MV42N-ftopict52410.html