Help: XP Freezes; Is it HW or SW ?

FWIW: I've fixed many many PCs in a corporate evnironment where we had
lots of identical systems and I could swap a disk to another machine
to try to isolate a problem. Now I'm working with pmall businesses
and have to troubleshoot systems in place. Generally the problem and
fix are obvious but I'd like the collective wisdom for what to look at
for this symptom.

I have not layed hand on this machine yet. I got a call and my client
says the reezed. The screen looks normal but the system does not
respond to keyboard or mouse.

When I get to the machine I'll do the following:

- Hit CRTL-ALT-DEL and see it it responds

- Plug my laptop into the LAN hub and see it I can ping the machine.

- Reboot and look in event viewer

- chkdsk and virus and spyware check.

Any other suggestions ?

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

bar

Could be faulty memory
Could be faulty Mobo
Could be......

"Al Dykes" wrote:

> FWIW: I've fixed many many PCs in a corporate evnironment where we had
> lots of identical systems and I could swap a disk to another machine
> to try to isolate a problem. Now I'm working with pmall businesses
> and have to troubleshoot systems in place. Generally the problem and
> fix are obvious but I'd like the collective wisdom for what to look at
> for this symptom.
>
> I have not layed hand on this machine yet. I got a call and my client
> says the reezed. The screen looks normal but the system does not
> respond to keyboard or mouse.
>
> When I get to the machine I'll do the following:
>
> - Hit CRTL-ALT-DEL and see it it responds
>
> - Plug my laptop into the LAN hub and see it I can ping the machine.
>
> - Reboot and look in event viewer
>
> - chkdsk and virus and spyware check.
>
> Any other suggestions ?
>
> --