Windows recognizing drives as SCSI??!?!!!

I have a Samsung SATA hard drive, a Sony CRX225 CD-RW and a Plextor PX-708A
DVD-RW. I hadn't used the burners for a while, now they aren't working (can
read from them but most of the time won't write). In the device
manager\drive\properties, Win XP sees them all as SCSI devices. How is this
possible? The BIOS has them as IDE primary and secondary drives, so where
does the SCSI come in? Could this be part of the burning problem I am having?
3 answers Last reply
More about windows recognizing drives scsi

    In message <0FCB3B7B-7776-420F-B3F9-EEA8F6636BD9@microsoft.com> "Randy"
    <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a Samsung SATA hard drive, a Sony CRX225 CD-RW and a Plextor PX-708A
    >DVD-RW. I hadn't used the burners for a while, now they aren't working (can
    >read from them but most of the time won't write). In the device
    >manager\drive\properties, Win XP sees them all as SCSI devices. How is this
    >possible? The BIOS has them as IDE primary and secondary drives, so where
    >does the SCSI come in? Could this be part of the burning problem I am having?

    Windows shows virtually all drives as SCSI if they're not IDE or USB.
    This includes SATA, RAID, SATA+RAID, and other adapters (plus actual
    SCSI adapters)

    --
    Sign in a Laundromat AUTOMATIC WASHING MACHINES:
    "PLEASE REMOVE ALL YOUR CLOTHES WHEN THE LIGHT GOES OUT"

    I would like to add: Windows XP will treat all add-on drive controllers as
    SCSI controllers. If you were to add a standard IDE PCI controller to any
    XP, all drives will be shown as SCSI.

    "DevilsPGD" <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
    > In message <0FCB3B7B-7776-420F-B3F9-EEA8F6636BD9@microsoft.com> "Randy"
    > <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a Samsung SATA hard drive, a Sony CRX225 CD-RW and a Plextor
    >>PX-708A
    >>DVD-RW. I hadn't used the burners for a while, now they aren't working
    >>(can
    >>read from them but most of the time won't write). In the device
    >>manager\drive\properties, Win XP sees them all as SCSI devices. How is
    >>this
    >>possible? The BIOS has them as IDE primary and secondary drives, so where
    >>does the SCSI come in? Could this be part of the burning problem I am
    >>having?
    >
    > Windows shows virtually all drives as SCSI if they're not IDE or USB.
    > This includes SATA, RAID, SATA+RAID, and other adapters (plus actual
    > SCSI adapters)
    >

    > --
    > Sign in a Laundromat AUTOMATIC WASHING MACHINES:
    > "PLEASE REMOVE ALL YOUR CLOTHES WHEN THE LIGHT GOES OUT"

    I understand. How would you go about fixing this? The reason I'm askng is
    b/c I'm getting a writing error when I try to write a DVD b/c of the SCSI.
    Thanks

    "Yves Leclerc" wrote:

    > I would like to add: Windows XP will treat all add-on drive controllers as
    > SCSI controllers. If you were to add a standard IDE PCI controller to any
    > XP, all drives will be shown as SCSI.
    >

    > "DevilsPGD" <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
    > > In message <0FCB3B7B-7776-420F-B3F9-EEA8F6636BD9@microsoft.com> "Randy"
    > > <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I have a Samsung SATA hard drive, a Sony CRX225 CD-RW and a Plextor
    > >>PX-708A
    > >>DVD-RW. I hadn't used the burners for a while, now they aren't working
    > >>(can
    > >>read from them but most of the time won't write). In the device
    > >>manager\drive\properties, Win XP sees them all as SCSI devices. How is
    > >>this
    > >>possible? The BIOS has them as IDE primary and secondary drives, so where
    > >>does the SCSI come in? Could this be part of the burning problem I am
    > >>having?
    > >
    > > Windows shows virtually all drives as SCSI if they're not IDE or USB.
    > > This includes SATA, RAID, SATA+RAID, and other adapters (plus actual
    > > SCSI adapters)
    > >

    > > --
    > > Sign in a Laundromat AUTOMATIC WASHING MACHINES:
    > > "PLEASE REMOVE ALL YOUR CLOTHES WHEN THE LIGHT GOES OUT"

SCSI Windows XP