Printing on CDs

Hi

What is the cheapest printer able to print straight on CDs and what is the
quality of such prints? And more importantly is it worth the money?

Thanks.

Epson R200, most places around a US $100.00. Very pleased with the results
and it's pretty good photo printer with the plus of having separate ink
tanks for each color.

Mike Skuczas

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:31:29 +0200, "mahe" <tara222@wp.pl> wrote:

>Hi
>
>What is the cheapest printer able to print straight on CDs and what is the
>quality of such prints? And more importantly is it worth the money?
>
>Thanks.

Cheapest to initially buy, or cheapest to continue to use?

Answer to #1 - Epson
Answer to #2 - Canon

Epson "fors": Water resistant ink. Cheap to initially buy.

Epson "againsts": Head clogs, constant ink charging, refill ink a bad
gamble on likely clogging the head.

Canon "fors": Several easy & cheap refill options, far less prone to
head clogs, no constant ink charging, very easily replaceable print
head.

Canon "againsts": More expensive first up, ink not water resistant.

Allan.

> >Hi
> >
> >What is the cheapest printer able to print straight on CDs and what is
the
> >quality of such prints? And more importantly is it worth the money?
> >
> >Thanks.
>
> Cheapest to initially buy, or cheapest to continue to use?
>
> Answer to #1 - Epson
> Answer to #2 - Canon

Great, thanks. But could you tell me which model of Cannon.

MaHe

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:17:00 +0200, "mahe" <tara222@wp.pl> wrote:

>> >What is the cheapest printer able to print straight on CDs and what is
>the
>> >quality of such prints? And more importantly is it worth the money?
>>
>> Cheapest to initially buy, or cheapest to continue to use?
>>
>> Answer to #1 - Epson
>> Answer to #2 - Canon
>
>Great, thanks. But could you tell me which model of Cannon.
>
>MaHe

I thought I did!? Oh well... i860/i865 if you want the cheaper of
the two Canons. The i960/i965 if you want to pay more but get the two
additional high quality photo ink cartridges. (The "0" & "5" versions
are the same printer, but the "0" doesn't come with the CD tray - that
is - the USA version.)

Allan.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:37:24 +1000, Just Allan
<justallan@COLDhotmail.com> wrote:

| I thought I did!? Oh well... i860/i865 if you want the cheaper of
| the two Canons. The i960/i965 if you want to pay more but get the two
| additional high quality photo ink cartridges. (The "0" & "5" versions
| are the same printer, but the "0" doesn't come with the CD tray - that
| is - the USA version.)

Somebody mentioned a while back that Canon is prohibited from offering
i865, i965 and any other CD/DVD printers in the US. Is that really
the case? It's strange that Canon would be prohibited from selling
those models while Epson can sell R200, R300, etc., that do print
directly on CDs and DVDs, apparently without restriction.

Larc

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:23:37 GMT, Larc <larc-news@jupiterlink.net>
wrote:

>Somebody mentioned a while back that Canon is prohibited from offering
>i865, i965 and any other CD/DVD printers in the US. Is that really
>the case? It's strange that Canon would be prohibited from selling
>those models while Epson can sell R200, R300, etc., that do print
>directly on CDs and DVDs, apparently without restriction.

Yep, it's true - can't imagine why tho'.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Just Allan wrote:

> I thought I did!? Oh well... i860/i865 if you want the cheaper of
> the two Canons. The i960/i965 if you want to pay more but get the two
> additional high quality photo ink cartridges. (The "0" & "5" versions
> are the same printer, but the "0" doesn't come with the CD tray - that
> is - the USA version.)
>
> Allan.
I just bought a Canon i860 on recommendation from a friend concerning
photo quality and cheap ink availability. The pictures I printed are
gorgeous. I had no idea this printer could print on a CD. Could you
elaborate? The Canon manuals don't mention this feature.

I read in your message that there is a CD tray involved. I don't see a
CD tray mentioned on the Canon site. Do you know if it is available
separately, and if so, where?

Thanks,

John

john wrote:
> Just Allan wrote:
>

>> I thought I did!? Oh well... i860/i865 if you want the cheaper of
>> the two Canons. The i960/i965 if you want to pay more but get the two
>> additional high quality photo ink cartridges. (The "0" & "5" versions
>> are the same printer, but the "0" doesn't come with the CD tray - that
>> is - the USA version.)
>>
>> Allan.
>
> I just bought a Canon i860 on recommendation from a friend concerning
> photo quality and cheap ink availability. The pictures I printed are
> gorgeous. I had no idea this printer could print on a CD. Could you
> elaborate? The Canon manuals don't mention this feature.
>
> I read in your message that there is a CD tray involved. I don't see a
> CD tray mentioned on the Canon site. Do you know if it is available
> separately, and if so, where?

The i860 doesn't do CDs, the i865 does. The i860 is sold in North
America, the i865 is not. That's why you have no tray to speak of :-(

I believe this has something to do with Canon respecting patents or
licensing. And because of these agreements, I think the printers are
significantly different so that you cannot simply buy a tray and add
it to an existing i860 to make it an i865. I haven't checked this out
but that's my best guess.

-Taliesyn

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:22:00 -0600, john <swjwcm@charter.net> wrote:

>> I thought I did!? Oh well... i860/i865 if you want the cheaper of
>> the two Canons. The i960/i965 if you want to pay more but get the two
>> additional high quality photo ink cartridges. (The "0" & "5" versions
>> are the same printer, but the "0" doesn't come with the CD tray - that
>> is - the USA version.)
>>
>> Allan.

>I just bought a Canon i860 on recommendation from a friend concerning
>photo quality and cheap ink availability. The pictures I printed are
>gorgeous. I had no idea this printer could print on a CD. Could you
>elaborate? The Canon manuals don't mention this feature.

Apparently it's not available in the USA. If you go to the Australian
site, http://www.canon.com.au and look up the i865, you'll probably
see the extra unit. It just slots onto the... front? I think. (I
haven't tried mine yet.) It comes in the box standard, with the
printer. I wonder if I could order it separately, because I wouldn't
mind shipping it to folks over there for a few dollars for my effort
if it's possible.

Anyone know already?

Allan.

>I believe this has something to do with Canon respecting patents or
>licensing.

Welcome to these lovely United States!

I imported a i905d, like the US i900 but with the CD-printing
function. You need the tray and the feeder. It has better quality
and is faster then the Epson I was using. Only problem is I have a
ton of Cd artwork that won't convert form the Epson print format
to the Canon format and I do not have time to redo them all.
So if anyone in the US is interested in a barely used Canon Cd-printer
let me know at riller101@hotmail.com and will send pics and info.

Thanks