Need help identifying a memory problem

I've been experiencing intermitent computer freezes that completely lock up
my system so that Alt-Tab doesn't even work and I have to reset boot. They
occur at any given time but most frequently when playing WoW. There is no
common activity that triggers the freeze, it just happens at a random point.

This just started happening about 4 weeks ago and I've added no new hardware.

What did happen around that time were two things.

1) WoW (MMORPGame) patched a new update to the client
2) Spyware was installed on my computer

I've taken every concievable action with regards to driver updates and
spyware removers.

I've now formatted and reinstalled windows xp. While doing so this error
occured:
BAD_POOL_CALLER

***STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x00487F22, 0xE17C94B8)

I understand that this indicates my system is trying to do something with
memory that it can't do. Like free memory that is already free. I'm hoping
that this is related to the intermitent freezes and that I can fix it.

I don't know how to identify the hardware or process that is triggering the
above though.

Any help?
2 answers Last reply
More about need identifying memory problem

    Take a look here in rt column # C2
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    "WoWfan" <WoWfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've been experiencing intermitent computer freezes that completely lock
    > up
    > my system so that Alt-Tab doesn't even work and I have to reset boot.
    > They
    > occur at any given time but most frequently when playing WoW. There is no
    > common activity that triggers the freeze, it just happens at a random
    > point.
    >
    > This just started happening about 4 weeks ago and I've added no new
    > hardware.
    >
    > What did happen around that time were two things.
    >
    > 1) WoW (MMORPGame) patched a new update to the client
    > 2) Spyware was installed on my computer
    >
    > I've taken every concievable action with regards to driver updates and
    > spyware removers.
    >
    > I've now formatted and reinstalled windows xp. While doing so this error
    > occured:
    > BAD_POOL_CALLER
    >
    > ***STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x00487F22, 0xE17C94B8)
    >
    > I understand that this indicates my system is trying to do something with
    > memory that it can't do. Like free memory that is already free. I'm
    > hoping
    > that this is related to the intermitent freezes and that I can fix it.
    >
    > I don't know how to identify the hardware or process that is triggering
    > the
    > above though.
    >
    > Any help?

    IF it is memeory, then this can be confirmed by 'testing'.

    A simple way, if you don't want to download and install a memory tester,
    would be to open up some applications and large files. Task Manager [and keep
    checking the 'physical memory' section. A BIG word document, A large Excel
    Spread Sheet, A .wmv Windows Movie file [ or song ] in Media Player. Keep
    going until you have ZERO available and then open up one more. Indicating
    that every BIT in Memory is used and that the system is SWAPPING data in and
    out of memory.

    AT this time Choose to open up and play another song or even better a DVD
    movie if yuou have a DVD drive.

    Now, should you memory really be faulty, then you will CRASH! I'm betting
    that it doesn't crash.

    I think that it is more likely that the WoW Game is your culprit and doesn't
    want to exist in your hardware.

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > Take a look here in rt column # C2
    > http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
    >
    > "WoWfan" <WoWfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've been experiencing intermitent computer freezes that completely lock
    > > up
    > > my system so that Alt-Tab doesn't even work and I have to reset boot.
    > > They
    > > occur at any given time but most frequently when playing WoW. There is no
    > > common activity that triggers the freeze, it just happens at a random
    > > point.
    > >
    > > This just started happening about 4 weeks ago and I've added no new
    > > hardware.
    > >
    > > What did happen around that time were two things.
    > >
    > > 1) WoW (MMORPGame) patched a new update to the client
    > > 2) Spyware was installed on my computer
    > >
    > > I've taken every concievable action with regards to driver updates and
    > > spyware removers.
    > >
    > > I've now formatted and reinstalled windows xp. While doing so this error
    > > occured:
    > > BAD_POOL_CALLER
    > >
    > > ***STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x00487F22, 0xE17C94B8)
    > >
    > > I understand that this indicates my system is trying to do something with
    > > memory that it can't do. Like free memory that is already free. I'm
    > > hoping
    > > that this is related to the intermitent freezes and that I can fix it.
    > >
    > > I don't know how to identify the hardware or process that is triggering
    > > the
    > > above though.
    > >
    > > Any help?

Hardware World Of Warcraft Windows XP