  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2005 6:09:18 PM

MWave has this motherboard for $25 plus shipping. I'm considering the
AB60R with a 2.0G Celeron, 512mb RAM, a 120GB WD Caviar IDE drive and an
FX5200 video card for a $250 Mandrivia Linux box.

Any comments?

More about : ab60r

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2005 10:09:12 PM

Travis Jordan wrote:
> Any comments?

FWIW, I ordered the board and built up the system. Mandrivia 10.2
correctly identified all the hardware, and the total install including
all the applications took about 23 minutes. More than three times as
fast and easier by far than any Windoze installation I've done (and I've
done plenty).
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2005 1:43:49 PM

I got the same board. It was easy to install but I do not have any
sound at all.
Ive updated everything iuncluding the Bios. Im running winxp 2
Did you have to set jumpers or something to get the sound to work.
Its weird.
Mandrivia 10.2 what exactly is that?
any help would be greatly appreciated
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2005 3:57:15 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Nothing weird in the device manager at all.(no yellow exclamation
pionts) When I play an audio file it would play in my winmedia player,
but no sound at all. I check properties made sure the default settings
where check showing the proper audio device is showing. Even switch
speakers. I also put in a SBlive card and no sound at all and that uses
a different codec altogether right? I thought it was a codec problem as
well and dled the latest audio codec from shuttle. (which was dated
back in 03 btw)

I will try the OEM when I get home.

Thanks again. I thought I had to adjust a jumper or something. (see
page 38 of the manual) Im sure the 05 codec should do the trick. I hope
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2005 5:45:14 PM

Nope nothing at all when i try the cdrom and the Windows sound.

I thought the speaker might be bad but i unplugged the speakers and
plugged it into my mp3 player and the speakers worked fine.

Very weird becuase a seperate audio card sound should have worked.

Everything shows that the sound is playing its just nothing coming out.
I dont even hear anything when the windows logo start up. Ill trouble
shoot alittle longer.

Im also getting a weird boot up error.
I get an onboard error or keyboard not present error during post boot
screen
I have to unplugge my keyboard than restart it up because everything
froze up
other than that everything is fine.
I think my keyboard maybe uncompatible or something even though it is a
P/S2 keyboard
Ive updated the bios using the update from shuttle but now i wonder if
there is even a more updated version that the 03 year one

Thank again for your help and insight Im sure Ill get everything up and
working soon
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2005 8:54:22 PM

Nothing at all with the new audio codecs

I am going to switch back to sblive now
btw i have the ATI 9200se graphics card
could that be a problem?
i cant even get to www.ati.com for some reason to check for updates
im beginning to think its a compatiblity issue with the card
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2005 9:23:21 PM

Just switch to my sblive and nothing again
i disable the onboard audio also
and winxp detected it with no problems
but nothing
there must be a jumper setting or something or am i missing a cord or
something???
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2005 10:23:53 PM

Headstomp wrote:
> I got the same board. It was easy to install but I do not have any
> sound at all.
> Ive updated everything iuncluding the Bios. Im running winxp 2
> Did you have to set jumpers or something to get the sound to work.
> Its weird.
> Mandrivia 10.2 what exactly is that?

FWIW, my sound is OK. The ALC650 is a long-lived and well respected
sound chip. Most likely it is a driver problem. Do you see anything
weird in Device Manager? You can always get the OEM drivers off the
Realtek site at
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?linei...

Mandrivia 10.2 is a Linux release.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2005 10:47:26 PM

i ran that everest program and copied this section from the audio
portion.

[ Creative SB Live! Value (CT4670) Sound Card ]

Device Properties:
Device Description Creative SB
Live! Value (CT4670) Sound Card
Bus Type PCI
Bus / Device / Function 3 / 6 / 0
Device ID 1102-0002
Subsystem ID 1102-0020
Device Class 0401 (Audio
Device)
Revision 04
Fast Back-to-Back Transactions Supported,
Disabled

Is the Fast Back-to-Back Transactions is showing disabled and what
could I do.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2005 11:44:16 PM

Wait a minute
did u have a Center Base piece in your box????
I dont
Did you connect that? Could that perhaps be it??????
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 12:15:55 AM

Headstomp wrote:
> Nothing weird in the device manager at all.(no yellow exclamation
> pionts) When I play an audio file it would play in my winmedia player,
> but no sound at all. I check properties made sure the default settings
> where check showing the proper audio device is showing. Even switch
> speakers. I also put in a SBlive card and no sound at all and that
> uses a different codec altogether right? I thought it was a codec
> problem as well and dled the latest audio codec from shuttle. (which
> was dated back in 03 btw)

The only setting I'm aware of is in the BIOS (enable onboard audio or
some such). The fact that a separate sound card doesn't work either
makes me think it is either a bad amplified speaker or a Windows codec
problem as you describe. The OEM driver is for the Realtek chip only.
It is not a codec.

Do you have a CD-ROM drive in your system, and is it connected with an
analog cable to the motherboard? If so, does that work?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 12:21:44 AM

Travis Jordan wrote:
> Do you have a CD-ROM drive in your system, and is it connected with an
> analog cable to the motherboard? If so, does that work?

Also, in the XP Sounds control panel do you get any sound when you
select a Windows sound scheme and then play one of the Windows sounds?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 2:20:22 AM

Headstomp wrote:
> Thank again for your help and insight Im sure Ill get everything up
> and working soon

You might want to be sure to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS and
try the separate sound card again.

Anyway, when you figure it out let us know what the problem turns out to
be.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 8:23:57 AM

i dont think thats it either
i dont get it at all
since the board is only $25 i might just get another one
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 10:21:59 AM

Yes i installed the sblive drivers

Its as if everything is muted. Ive used several different speakers and
nothing at all

For some reason i thought it could be the board my a jumper not set
right or something
everything indicated it should be playing

I wonder if theres some sort of conflict with the graphics card I have
the ATI 9200SE
Looking through the read me text of the realtek updates it appears that
there were some problems with ATI cards. I will put in my old viper
card and see if that fixes it.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 11:47:48 AM

Could the onboard audio chip be damage????
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 3:23:13 PM

Headstomp wrote:
> did u have a Center Base piece in your box????
> Did you connect that? Could that perhaps be it??????

Nope. Just using the regular audio out connection (the blue jack).
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 3:31:30 PM

Headstomp wrote:
> Is the Fast Back-to-Back Transactions is showing disabled and what
> could I do.

When the FBB enable bit is set, the PCI bus interface is allowed to
generate fast back-to-back transactions to different agents as described
in PCI Specification 2.2. This isn't the source of your problem.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 3:32:48 PM

Headstomp wrote:
> since the board is only $25 i might just get another one

I don't think it is the board's problem.

Did you try the driver that came with your SBLive card?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 3:38:00 PM

Headstomp wrote:
> I thought the speaker might be bad but i unplugged the speakers and
> plugged it into my mp3 player and the speakers worked fine.

These are amplifed speakers, right?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 7:11:34 PM

Headstomp wrote:
> Could the onboard audio chip be damage????

That wouldn't explain why the SBLive card doesn't work.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2005 2:17:39 PM

Stephen wrote:
> On 13 May 2005 06:21:59 -0700, "Headstomp" <headstomp2k@yahoo.com>
had
> a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:
>
> >Yes i installed the sblive drivers
> >
> >Its as if everything is muted. Ive used several different speakers
and
> >nothing at all
> >
> >For some reason i thought it could be the board my a jumper not set
> >right or something
> >everything indicated it should be playing
> >
> >I wonder if theres some sort of conflict with the graphics card I
have
> >the ATI 9200SE
> >Looking through the read me text of the realtek updates it appears
that
> >there were some problems with ATI cards. I will put in my old viper
> >card and see if that fixes it.
>
> Neither the onboard or sblive have a built in amp. Make sure the
> speaker's amp is on and the volume is turned up.
>
> Stephen
>

> --

Thanks for the reply

Still no sound after reinstalling windows xp updating to sp2 and
updating my graphics card.
Called shuttle support and they said i had to install this new audio
software the ALC880 D software
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?s...
after installing i have to reboot than it tries to finish the insatll
but stops through the installation and is looking for Microsoft Bus
than errors out.

Any help is greatly appreciated
May 14, 2005 9:04:26 PM

On 13 May 2005 06:21:59 -0700, "Headstomp" <headstomp2k@yahoo.com> had
a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

>Yes i installed the sblive drivers
>
>Its as if everything is muted. Ive used several different speakers and
>nothing at all
>
>For some reason i thought it could be the board my a jumper not set
>right or something
>everything indicated it should be playing
>
>I wonder if theres some sort of conflict with the graphics card I have
>the ATI 9200SE
>Looking through the read me text of the realtek updates it appears that
>there were some problems with ATI cards. I will put in my old viper
>card and see if that fixes it.

Neither the onboard or sblive have a built in amp. Make sure the
speaker's amp is on and the volume is turned up.

Stephen

a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2005 10:58:38 PM

Headstomp wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
> > On 13 May 2005 06:21:59 -0700, "Headstomp" <headstomp2k@yahoo.com>
> had
> > a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:
> >
> > >Yes i installed the sblive drivers
> > >
> > >Its as if everything is muted. Ive used several different speakers
> and
> > >nothing at all
> > >
> > >For some reason i thought it could be the board my a jumper not
set
> > >right or something
> > >everything indicated it should be playing
> > >
> > >I wonder if theres some sort of conflict with the graphics card I
> have
> > >the ATI 9200SE
> > >Looking through the read me text of the realtek updates it appears
> that
> > >there were some problems with ATI cards. I will put in my old
viper
> > >card and see if that fixes it.
> >
> > Neither the onboard or sblive have a built in amp. Make sure the
> > speaker's amp is on and the volume is turned up.
> >
> > Stephen
> >

> > --
>
> Thanks for the reply
>
> Still no sound after reinstalling windows xp updating to sp2 and
> updating my graphics card.
> Called shuttle support and they said i had to install this new audio
> software the ALC880 D software

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?s...
> after installing i have to reboot than it tries to finish the insatll
> but stops through the installation and is looking for Microsoft Bus
> than errors out.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated

To be specfic the error i get when I try an finish installing the
ALC880 D software is this :
Microsoft Bus Driver should be loaded in your system before installing
Realtek HD Audio driver

What am I missing?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2005 1:12:48 PM

Thats what i said to the tech but he said that it was the wrong one. He
also had me

I called them late friday so I had to wait the whole weekend to call
them back.
I will call again when I get home.

Thanks again for your help
Sound should be the easiest thing to install. This one has me baffled
to say the least.
Maybe i am installing the codec wrong or something. Ive tried different
speakers and still nothing.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2005 1:34:00 PM

Thats what i said to the tech but he said that it was the wrong one. He

also had me reinstall windows? He thought the codec could be corrupt.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2005 2:57:15 PM

I still have a feeling it could be the board itself. I can not count
how many times i have uninstalled and reinstall the first realtek
download you gave me several posts ago and the new install for the HD
audio the poorly train tech gave me. I honestly cant figure this out
and I would say im not a novice when it comes to pc upgrades. Thats why
i think it has to be the board or some incompatibilty with my graphics
card which is the only thing installed on the board. At any rate you
been a ton of help. I sent an email to shuttle explaining my situation
and now i have to play the waiting game.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2005 4:00:22 PM

Headstomp wrote:
> To be specfic the error i get when I try an finish installing the
> ALC880 D software is this :
> Microsoft Bus Driver should be loaded in your system before installing
> Realtek HD Audio driver

Shuttle tech support gave you bad advice. The ALC650 on the AB60 board
isn't a high-definition (HD) audio chip. The drivers for the ALC880
don't support the ALC650.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/hdreadme.pdf

Reinstall the correct driver.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2005 4:50:29 PM

Yes I tried the Audio codec installation from the CD.
None of the out/inputs work. (mic,speakers)
I was thinking maybe its teh chipset that needed updating. I used the
CD and dtill nothing. I did this with win xp serv pk 1 and nothing work
than upgraded to serv pak 2 and nothing.
I was think maybe I should try this
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/fil...*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21#DRV

driver for the intel chipset 865PE

No yellow exclamation marks on any of my devices in the device manager.

Could the chipset be incompatible or something
Maybe my speakers are analog
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2005 9:30:28 PM

Headstomp wrote:
> Thats what i said to the tech but he said that it was the wrong one.
> He also had me reinstall windows? He thought the codec could be
corrupt.

Shuttle needs better training for their techs. "Reinstall Windows" is
the solution if you don't understand Windows internals and don't have
good troubleshooting techniques. Removing any existing drivers for the
Realtek ALC650 (in Control Panel or Device Manager) and installing a new
copy by pointing Windows to your uncompressed driver file (or running
the driver install executable, as the case may be) will install clean
copies of the ALC650 software.

You can remove audio and video stream codecs in Device Manager.
Reinstalling your media player (ie. Windows MP) will reinstall a clean
copy.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2005 10:06:46 PM

Headstomp wrote:
> I still have a feeling it could be the board itself. I can not count
> how many times i have uninstalled and reinstall the first realtek
> download you gave me several posts ago and the new install for the HD
> audio the poorly train tech gave me. I honestly cant figure this out
> and I would say im not a novice when it comes to pc upgrades. Thats
> why i think it has to be the board or some incompatibilty with my
> graphics card which is the only thing installed on the board. At any
> rate you been a ton of help. I sent an email to shuttle explaining my
> situation and now i have to play the waiting game.

Did you also try the driver that (I assume) was included on the CD that
came with the board? I haven't looked at it but I would think there is
one there.

If you aren't seeing conflicts in Device Manager I would say there isn't
a problem with the video card compatibility.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2005 10:07:42 PM

Travis Jordan wrote:
> Did you also try the driver that (I assume) was included on the CD
> that came with the board?

Also, do any of the inputs work (line and/or microphone)?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2005 10:10:40 PM

Travis Jordan wrote:
> Also, do any of the inputs work (line and/or microphone)?

And one more thing.... did you verify that the preferred device for
sound playback (Sounds / Multimedia CP) is set to Realtek AC97 Audio?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2005 10:45:28 PM

Travis Jordan wrote:
> Headstomp wrote:
>
> > I was think maybe I should try this

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/fil...*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21#DRV

> It probably wouldn't hurt to update the ICH5 driver.
>
> > Maybe my speakers are analog
>
> All speakers are analog. What do you mean by this?
>
> One last thought -- did you confirm that the factory jumpers are
> installed on pins 5-6 and 9-10 of JP3 (the front audio connector)?

yes I checked to make sure to those jumpers were set.
Whats funny is that when i go into the sound and audio devices in the
control panel than volume and advance in volume control the pc speakers
volume works but the balance does not. its greyed out.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 12:38:03 AM

Headstomp wrote:

> I was think maybe I should try this

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/fil...*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21#DRV

It probably wouldn't hurt to update the ICH5 driver.

> Maybe my speakers are analog

All speakers are analog. What do you mean by this?

One last thought -- did you confirm that the factory jumpers are
installed on pins 5-6 and 9-10 of JP3 (the front audio connector)?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 8:45:50 AM

Travis Jordan wrote:
> Headstomp wrote:
> > Whats funny is that when i go into the sound and audio devices in
the
> > control panel than volume and advance in volume control the pc
> > speakers volume works but the balance does not. its greyed out.
>
> What mixer device is used? (Open Volume Control, Options/Properties).

Realtek AC97
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 8:46:29 AM

Travis Jordan wrote:
> Headstomp wrote:
> > Whats funny is that when i go into the sound and audio devices in
the
> > control panel than volume and advance in volume control the pc
> > speakers volume works but the balance does not. its greyed out.
>
> What mixer device is used? (Open Volume Control, Options/Properties).

Realtek AC97 Audio
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 10:37:15 AM

Yes i have that
I check and un check every available option
The audio jacks must not be detected or something
Could the physical hardware of the jacks be broken somehow?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 12:47:09 PM

Yes the speaker hum when I touch the input plug.
Plus I plug the speakers into other devices and they worked fine.(mp3
player and cd stand alone player)
I am strongly leaning towards a MB defect.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 12:51:16 PM

This is confusing
everything worked flawlessly on my old ASUS 850mhz mb
it was just slow.
This sound thing is driving me crazy
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 12:59:22 PM

Could it be an IRQ conflict with the Graphics cards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 1:04:34 PM

Im at work right now and not in front of my home pc but if i can
rememeber correctly the advance controls are greyed out
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 1:31:59 PM

I didnt install this:
IEEE 1394A: IEEE 1394a interface provides high speed digital interface
for audio / video appliances such as digital television, digital video
camcorders, storage peripherals & other PC portable devices.

I do not have any digital devices so I left that and the extra USB
ports off.
That shouldnt matter right?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 1:50:52 PM

I just got off the phone with MWAVE's tech support and they said its a
common problem with this board. He said Shuttle company does not have a
great quality control system and that I should send in the board for a
replacement.
So I guess thats what I am going to do. So I have to wait another week
or two to find out.
Oh well thank you for all your help.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 1:56:59 PM

Still doesnt explain why the sblive didnt work
Now I just have to keep the processor and memory in a secure location
until I get the board back
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 2:01:46 PM

Yes will do
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 2:44:14 PM

Headstomp wrote:
> Whats funny is that when i go into the sound and audio devices in the
> control panel than volume and advance in volume control the pc
> speakers volume works but the balance does not. its greyed out.

What mixer device is used? (Open Volume Control, Options/Properties).
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 5:13:35 PM

Headstomp wrote:
> Realtek AC97 Audio

That would be correct.

This is sure a mystery. It will be interesting to see what you finally
figure out to be the problem.

Do you have a Sound Effects Manager CP in Windows XP? It is a Realtek
control panel that shows up in Windows 2000 and has settings for auto
detect of the audio jacks, etc.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 5:46:23 PM

Headstomp wrote:
> Yes i have that
> I check and un check every available option
> The audio jacks must not be detected or something
> Could the physical hardware of the jacks be broken somehow?

Could be.... that of course would be a mainboard defect.

Of course, the fact that your SBLive card doesn't work either really
points the finger at your speakers. But you say you've tried other
speakers with the same results.

Do your speakers hum when you touch the input plug?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 7:50:59 PM

Headstomp wrote:
> Yes the speaker hum when I touch the input plug.
> Plus I plug the speakers into other devices and they worked fine.(mp3
> player and cd stand alone player)
> I am strongly leaning towards a MB defect.

I would agree with you, but that still doesn't explain why the SBLive
card doesn't work.
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest