MWave has this motherboard for $25 plus shipping. I'm considering the
AB60R with a 2.0G Celeron, 512mb RAM, a 120GB WD Caviar IDE drive and an
FX5200 video card for a $250 Mandrivia Linux box.

Any comments?

Travis Jordan wrote:
> Any comments?

FWIW, I ordered the board and built up the system. Mandrivia 10.2
correctly identified all the hardware, and the total install including
all the applications took about 23 minutes. More than three times as
fast and easier by far than any Windoze installation I've done (and I've
done plenty).

I got the same board. It was easy to install but I do not have any
sound at all.
Ive updated everything iuncluding the Bios. Im running winxp 2
Did you have to set jumpers or something to get the sound to work.
Its weird.
Mandrivia 10.2 what exactly is that?
any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for the quick reply.

Nothing weird in the device manager at all.(no yellow exclamation
pionts) When I play an audio file it would play in my winmedia player,
but no sound at all. I check properties made sure the default settings
where check showing the proper audio device is showing. Even switch
speakers. I also put in a SBlive card and no sound at all and that uses
a different codec altogether right? I thought it was a codec problem as
well and dled the latest audio codec from shuttle. (which was dated
back in 03 btw)

I will try the OEM when I get home.

Thanks again. I thought I had to adjust a jumper or something. (see
page 38 of the manual) Im sure the 05 codec should do the trick. I hope

Nope nothing at all when i try the cdrom and the Windows sound.

I thought the speaker might be bad but i unplugged the speakers and
plugged it into my mp3 player and the speakers worked fine.

Very weird becuase a seperate audio card sound should have worked.

Everything shows that the sound is playing its just nothing coming out.
I dont even hear anything when the windows logo start up. Ill trouble
shoot alittle longer.

Im also getting a weird boot up error.
I get an onboard error or keyboard not present error during post boot
screen
I have to unplugge my keyboard than restart it up because everything
froze up
other than that everything is fine.
I think my keyboard maybe uncompatible or something even though it is a
P/S2 keyboard
Ive updated the bios using the update from shuttle but now i wonder if
there is even a more updated version that the 03 year one

Thank again for your help and insight Im sure Ill get everything up and
working soon

Nothing at all with the new audio codecs

I am going to switch back to sblive now
btw i have the ATI 9200se graphics card
could that be a problem?
i cant even get to www.ati.com for some reason to check for updates
im beginning to think its a compatiblity issue with the card

Just switch to my sblive and nothing again
i disable the onboard audio also
and winxp detected it with no problems
but nothing
there must be a jumper setting or something or am i missing a cord or
something???

Headstomp wrote:
> I got the same board. It was easy to install but I do not have any
> sound at all.
> Ive updated everything iuncluding the Bios. Im running winxp 2
> Did you have to set jumpers or something to get the sound to work.
> Its weird.
> Mandrivia 10.2 what exactly is that?

FWIW, my sound is OK. The ALC650 is a long-lived and well respected
sound chip. Most likely it is a driver problem. Do you see anything
weird in Device Manager? You can always get the OEM drivers off the
Realtek site at
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

Mandrivia 10.2 is a Linux release.

i ran that everest program and copied this section from the audio
portion.

[ Creative SB Live! Value (CT4670) Sound Card ]

Device Properties:
Device Description Creative SB
Live! Value (CT4670) Sound Card
Bus Type PCI
Bus / Device / Function 3 / 6 / 0
Device ID 1102-0002
Subsystem ID 1102-0020
Device Class 0401 (Audio
Device)
Revision 04
Fast Back-to-Back Transactions Supported,
Disabled

Is the Fast Back-to-Back Transactions is showing disabled and what
could I do.

Wait a minute
did u have a Center Base piece in your box????
I dont
Did you connect that? Could that perhaps be it??????

Headstomp wrote:
> Nothing weird in the device manager at all.(no yellow exclamation
> pionts) When I play an audio file it would play in my winmedia player,
> but no sound at all. I check properties made sure the default settings
> where check showing the proper audio device is showing. Even switch
> speakers. I also put in a SBlive card and no sound at all and that
> uses a different codec altogether right? I thought it was a codec
> problem as well and dled the latest audio codec from shuttle. (which
> was dated back in 03 btw)

The only setting I'm aware of is in the BIOS (enable onboard audio or
some such). The fact that a separate sound card doesn't work either
makes me think it is either a bad amplified speaker or a Windows codec
problem as you describe. The OEM driver is for the Realtek chip only.
It is not a codec.

Do you have a CD-ROM drive in your system, and is it connected with an
analog cable to the motherboard? If so, does that work?

Travis Jordan wrote:
> Do you have a CD-ROM drive in your system, and is it connected with an
> analog cable to the motherboard? If so, does that work?

Also, in the XP Sounds control panel do you get any sound when you
select a Windows sound scheme and then play one of the Windows sounds?

Headstomp wrote:
> Thank again for your help and insight Im sure Ill get everything up
> and working soon

You might want to be sure to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS and
try the separate sound card again.

Anyway, when you figure it out let us know what the problem turns out to
be.

i dont think thats it either
i dont get it at all
since the board is only $25 i might just get another one

Yes i installed the sblive drivers

Its as if everything is muted. Ive used several different speakers and
nothing at all

For some reason i thought it could be the board my a jumper not set
right or something
everything indicated it should be playing

I wonder if theres some sort of conflict with the graphics card I have
the ATI 9200SE
Looking through the read me text of the realtek updates it appears that
there were some problems with ATI cards. I will put in my old viper
card and see if that fixes it.

Headstomp wrote:
> did u have a Center Base piece in your box????
> Did you connect that? Could that perhaps be it??????

Nope. Just using the regular audio out connection (the blue jack).

Headstomp wrote:
> Is the Fast Back-to-Back Transactions is showing disabled and what
> could I do.

When the FBB enable bit is set, the PCI bus interface is allowed to
generate fast back-to-back transactions to different agents as described
in PCI Specification 2.2. This isn't the source of your problem.

Headstomp wrote:
> since the board is only $25 i might just get another one

I don't think it is the board's problem.

Did you try the driver that came with your SBLive card?

Headstomp wrote:
> I thought the speaker might be bad but i unplugged the speakers and
> plugged it into my mp3 player and the speakers worked fine.

These are amplifed speakers, right?

Headstomp wrote:
> Could the onboard audio chip be damage????

That wouldn't explain why the SBLive card doesn't work.

Stephen wrote:
> On 13 May 2005 06:21:59 -0700, "Headstomp" <headstomp2k@yahoo.com>
had
> a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:
>
> >Yes i installed the sblive drivers
> >
> >Its as if everything is muted. Ive used several different speakers
and
> >nothing at all
> >
> >For some reason i thought it could be the board my a jumper not set
> >right or something
> >everything indicated it should be playing
> >
> >I wonder if theres some sort of conflict with the graphics card I
have
> >the ATI 9200SE
> >Looking through the read me text of the realtek updates it appears
that
> >there were some problems with ATI cards. I will put in my old viper
> >card and see if that fixes it.
>
> Neither the onboard or sblive have a built in amp. Make sure the
> speaker's amp is on and the volume is turned up.
>
> Stephen
>

> --

Thanks for the reply

Still no sound after reinstalling windows xp updating to sp2 and
updating my graphics card.
Called shuttle support and they said i had to install this new audio
software the ALC880 D software
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?series=2004061&Software=True
after installing i have to reboot than it tries to finish the insatll
but stops through the installation and is looking for Microsoft Bus
than errors out.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Stephen

Headstomp wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
> > On 13 May 2005 06:21:59 -0700, "Headstomp" <headstomp2k@yahoo.com>
> had
> > a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:
> >
> > >Yes i installed the sblive drivers
> > >
> > >Its as if everything is muted. Ive used several different speakers
> and
> > >nothing at all
> > >
> > >For some reason i thought it could be the board my a jumper not
set
> > >right or something
> > >everything indicated it should be playing
> > >
> > >I wonder if theres some sort of conflict with the graphics card I
> have
> > >the ATI 9200SE
> > >Looking through the read me text of the realtek updates it appears
> that
> > >there were some problems with ATI cards. I will put in my old
viper
> > >card and see if that fixes it.
> >
> > Neither the onboard or sblive have a built in amp. Make sure the
> > speaker's amp is on and the volume is turned up.
> >
> > Stephen
> >

> > --
>
> Thanks for the reply
>
> Still no sound after reinstalling windows xp updating to sp2 and
> updating my graphics card.
> Called shuttle support and they said i had to install this new audio
> software the ALC880 D software

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?series=2004061&Software=True
> after installing i have to reboot than it tries to finish the insatll
> but stops through the installation and is looking for Microsoft Bus
> than errors out.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated

To be specfic the error i get when I try an finish installing the
ALC880 D software is this :
Microsoft Bus Driver should be loaded in your system before installing
Realtek HD Audio driver

What am I missing?

Thats what i said to the tech but he said that it was the wrong one. He
also had me

I called them late friday so I had to wait the whole weekend to call
them back.
I will call again when I get home.

Thanks again for your help
Sound should be the easiest thing to install. This one has me baffled
to say the least.
Maybe i am installing the codec wrong or something. Ive tried different
speakers and still nothing.