AB60R

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

MWave has this motherboard for $25 plus shipping. I'm considering the
AB60R with a 2.0G Celeron, 512mb RAM, a 120GB WD Caviar IDE drive and an
FX5200 video card for a $250 Mandrivia Linux box.

Any comments?
58 answers Last reply
More about ab60r
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Travis Jordan wrote:
    > Any comments?

    FWIW, I ordered the board and built up the system. Mandrivia 10.2
    correctly identified all the hardware, and the total install including
    all the applications took about 23 minutes. More than three times as
    fast and easier by far than any Windoze installation I've done (and I've
    done plenty).
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    I got the same board. It was easy to install but I do not have any
    sound at all.
    Ive updated everything iuncluding the Bios. Im running winxp 2
    Did you have to set jumpers or something to get the sound to work.
    Its weird.
    Mandrivia 10.2 what exactly is that?
    any help would be greatly appreciated
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Thanks for the quick reply.

    Nothing weird in the device manager at all.(no yellow exclamation
    pionts) When I play an audio file it would play in my winmedia player,
    but no sound at all. I check properties made sure the default settings
    where check showing the proper audio device is showing. Even switch
    speakers. I also put in a SBlive card and no sound at all and that uses
    a different codec altogether right? I thought it was a codec problem as
    well and dled the latest audio codec from shuttle. (which was dated
    back in 03 btw)

    I will try the OEM when I get home.

    Thanks again. I thought I had to adjust a jumper or something. (see
    page 38 of the manual) Im sure the 05 codec should do the trick. I hope
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Nope nothing at all when i try the cdrom and the Windows sound.

    I thought the speaker might be bad but i unplugged the speakers and
    plugged it into my mp3 player and the speakers worked fine.

    Very weird becuase a seperate audio card sound should have worked.

    Everything shows that the sound is playing its just nothing coming out.
    I dont even hear anything when the windows logo start up. Ill trouble
    shoot alittle longer.

    Im also getting a weird boot up error.
    I get an onboard error or keyboard not present error during post boot
    screen
    I have to unplugge my keyboard than restart it up because everything
    froze up
    other than that everything is fine.
    I think my keyboard maybe uncompatible or something even though it is a
    P/S2 keyboard
    Ive updated the bios using the update from shuttle but now i wonder if
    there is even a more updated version that the 03 year one

    Thank again for your help and insight Im sure Ill get everything up and
    working soon
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Nothing at all with the new audio codecs

    I am going to switch back to sblive now
    btw i have the ATI 9200se graphics card
    could that be a problem?
    i cant even get to www.ati.com for some reason to check for updates
    im beginning to think its a compatiblity issue with the card
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Just switch to my sblive and nothing again
    i disable the onboard audio also
    and winxp detected it with no problems
    but nothing
    there must be a jumper setting or something or am i missing a cord or
    something???
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Headstomp wrote:
    > I got the same board. It was easy to install but I do not have any
    > sound at all.
    > Ive updated everything iuncluding the Bios. Im running winxp 2
    > Did you have to set jumpers or something to get the sound to work.
    > Its weird.
    > Mandrivia 10.2 what exactly is that?

    FWIW, my sound is OK. The ALC650 is a long-lived and well respected
    sound chip. Most likely it is a driver problem. Do you see anything
    weird in Device Manager? You can always get the OEM drivers off the
    Realtek site at
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

    Mandrivia 10.2 is a Linux release.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    i ran that everest program and copied this section from the audio
    portion.

    [ Creative SB Live! Value (CT4670) Sound Card ]

    Device Properties:
    Device Description Creative SB
    Live! Value (CT4670) Sound Card
    Bus Type PCI
    Bus / Device / Function 3 / 6 / 0
    Device ID 1102-0002
    Subsystem ID 1102-0020
    Device Class 0401 (Audio
    Device)
    Revision 04
    Fast Back-to-Back Transactions Supported,
    Disabled

    Is the Fast Back-to-Back Transactions is showing disabled and what
    could I do.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Wait a minute
    did u have a Center Base piece in your box????
    I dont
    Did you connect that? Could that perhaps be it??????
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Headstomp wrote:
    > Nothing weird in the device manager at all.(no yellow exclamation
    > pionts) When I play an audio file it would play in my winmedia player,
    > but no sound at all. I check properties made sure the default settings
    > where check showing the proper audio device is showing. Even switch
    > speakers. I also put in a SBlive card and no sound at all and that
    > uses a different codec altogether right? I thought it was a codec
    > problem as well and dled the latest audio codec from shuttle. (which
    > was dated back in 03 btw)

    The only setting I'm aware of is in the BIOS (enable onboard audio or
    some such). The fact that a separate sound card doesn't work either
    makes me think it is either a bad amplified speaker or a Windows codec
    problem as you describe. The OEM driver is for the Realtek chip only.
    It is not a codec.

    Do you have a CD-ROM drive in your system, and is it connected with an
    analog cable to the motherboard? If so, does that work?
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Travis Jordan wrote:
    > Do you have a CD-ROM drive in your system, and is it connected with an
    > analog cable to the motherboard? If so, does that work?

    Also, in the XP Sounds control panel do you get any sound when you
    select a Windows sound scheme and then play one of the Windows sounds?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Headstomp wrote:
    > Thank again for your help and insight Im sure Ill get everything up
    > and working soon

    You might want to be sure to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS and
    try the separate sound card again.

    Anyway, when you figure it out let us know what the problem turns out to
    be.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    i dont think thats it either
    i dont get it at all
    since the board is only $25 i might just get another one
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Yes i installed the sblive drivers

    Its as if everything is muted. Ive used several different speakers and
    nothing at all

    For some reason i thought it could be the board my a jumper not set
    right or something
    everything indicated it should be playing

    I wonder if theres some sort of conflict with the graphics card I have
    the ATI 9200SE
    Looking through the read me text of the realtek updates it appears that
    there were some problems with ATI cards. I will put in my old viper
    card and see if that fixes it.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Could the onboard audio chip be damage????
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Headstomp wrote:
    > did u have a Center Base piece in your box????
    > Did you connect that? Could that perhaps be it??????

    Nope. Just using the regular audio out connection (the blue jack).
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Headstomp wrote:
    > Is the Fast Back-to-Back Transactions is showing disabled and what
    > could I do.

    When the FBB enable bit is set, the PCI bus interface is allowed to
    generate fast back-to-back transactions to different agents as described
    in PCI Specification 2.2. This isn't the source of your problem.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Headstomp wrote:
    > since the board is only $25 i might just get another one

    I don't think it is the board's problem.

    Did you try the driver that came with your SBLive card?
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Headstomp wrote:
    > I thought the speaker might be bad but i unplugged the speakers and
    > plugged it into my mp3 player and the speakers worked fine.

    These are amplifed speakers, right?
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Headstomp wrote:
    > Could the onboard audio chip be damage????

    That wouldn't explain why the SBLive card doesn't work.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Stephen wrote:
    > On 13 May 2005 06:21:59 -0700, "Headstomp" <headstomp2k@yahoo.com>
    had
    > a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:
    >
    > >Yes i installed the sblive drivers
    > >
    > >Its as if everything is muted. Ive used several different speakers
    and
    > >nothing at all
    > >
    > >For some reason i thought it could be the board my a jumper not set
    > >right or something
    > >everything indicated it should be playing
    > >
    > >I wonder if theres some sort of conflict with the graphics card I
    have
    > >the ATI 9200SE
    > >Looking through the read me text of the realtek updates it appears
    that
    > >there were some problems with ATI cards. I will put in my old viper
    > >card and see if that fixes it.
    >
    > Neither the onboard or sblive have a built in amp. Make sure the
    > speaker's amp is on and the volume is turned up.
    >
    > Stephen
    >
    >
    > --

    Thanks for the reply

    Still no sound after reinstalling windows xp updating to sp2 and
    updating my graphics card.
    Called shuttle support and they said i had to install this new audio
    software the ALC880 D software
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?series=2004061&Software=True
    after installing i have to reboot than it tries to finish the insatll
    but stops through the installation and is looking for Microsoft Bus
    than errors out.

    Any help is greatly appreciated
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    On 13 May 2005 06:21:59 -0700, "Headstomp" <headstomp2k@yahoo.com> had
    a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

    >Yes i installed the sblive drivers
    >
    >Its as if everything is muted. Ive used several different speakers and
    >nothing at all
    >
    >For some reason i thought it could be the board my a jumper not set
    >right or something
    >everything indicated it should be playing
    >
    >I wonder if theres some sort of conflict with the graphics card I have
    >the ATI 9200SE
    >Looking through the read me text of the realtek updates it appears that
    >there were some problems with ATI cards. I will put in my old viper
    >card and see if that fixes it.

    Neither the onboard or sblive have a built in amp. Make sure the
    speaker's amp is on and the volume is turned up.

    Stephen


    --
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Headstomp wrote:
    > Stephen wrote:
    > > On 13 May 2005 06:21:59 -0700, "Headstomp" <headstomp2k@yahoo.com>
    > had
    > > a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:
    > >
    > > >Yes i installed the sblive drivers
    > > >
    > > >Its as if everything is muted. Ive used several different speakers
    > and
    > > >nothing at all
    > > >
    > > >For some reason i thought it could be the board my a jumper not
    set
    > > >right or something
    > > >everything indicated it should be playing
    > > >
    > > >I wonder if theres some sort of conflict with the graphics card I
    > have
    > > >the ATI 9200SE
    > > >Looking through the read me text of the realtek updates it appears
    > that
    > > >there were some problems with ATI cards. I will put in my old
    viper
    > > >card and see if that fixes it.
    > >
    > > Neither the onboard or sblive have a built in amp. Make sure the
    > > speaker's amp is on and the volume is turned up.
    > >
    > > Stephen
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    >
    > Thanks for the reply
    >
    > Still no sound after reinstalling windows xp updating to sp2 and
    > updating my graphics card.
    > Called shuttle support and they said i had to install this new audio
    > software the ALC880 D software
    >
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?series=2004061&Software=True
    > after installing i have to reboot than it tries to finish the insatll
    > but stops through the installation and is looking for Microsoft Bus
    > than errors out.
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated

    To be specfic the error i get when I try an finish installing the
    ALC880 D software is this :
    Microsoft Bus Driver should be loaded in your system before installing
    Realtek HD Audio driver

    What am I missing?
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Thats what i said to the tech but he said that it was the wrong one. He
    also had me

    I called them late friday so I had to wait the whole weekend to call
    them back.
    I will call again when I get home.

    Thanks again for your help
    Sound should be the easiest thing to install. This one has me baffled
    to say the least.
    Maybe i am installing the codec wrong or something. Ive tried different
    speakers and still nothing.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Thats what i said to the tech but he said that it was the wrong one. He

    also had me reinstall windows? He thought the codec could be corrupt.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    I still have a feeling it could be the board itself. I can not count
    how many times i have uninstalled and reinstall the first realtek
    download you gave me several posts ago and the new install for the HD
    audio the poorly train tech gave me. I honestly cant figure this out
    and I would say im not a novice when it comes to pc upgrades. Thats why
    i think it has to be the board or some incompatibilty with my graphics
    card which is the only thing installed on the board. At any rate you
    been a ton of help. I sent an email to shuttle explaining my situation
    and now i have to play the waiting game.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Headstomp wrote:
    > To be specfic the error i get when I try an finish installing the
    > ALC880 D software is this :
    > Microsoft Bus Driver should be loaded in your system before installing
    > Realtek HD Audio driver

    Shuttle tech support gave you bad advice. The ALC650 on the AB60 board
    isn't a high-definition (HD) audio chip. The drivers for the ALC880
    don't support the ALC650.

    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/hdreadme.pdf

    Reinstall the correct driver.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Yes I tried the Audio codec installation from the CD.
    None of the out/inputs work. (mic,speakers)
    I was thinking maybe its teh chipset that needed updating. I used the
    CD and dtill nothing. I did this with win xp serv pk 1 and nothing work
    than upgraded to serv pak 2 and nothing.
    I was think maybe I should try this
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=949&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21#DRV

    driver for the intel chipset 865PE

    No yellow exclamation marks on any of my devices in the device manager.


    Could the chipset be incompatible or something
    Maybe my speakers are analog
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Headstomp wrote:
    > Thats what i said to the tech but he said that it was the wrong one.
    > He also had me reinstall windows? He thought the codec could be
    corrupt.

    Shuttle needs better training for their techs. "Reinstall Windows" is
    the solution if you don't understand Windows internals and don't have
    good troubleshooting techniques. Removing any existing drivers for the
    Realtek ALC650 (in Control Panel or Device Manager) and installing a new
    copy by pointing Windows to your uncompressed driver file (or running
    the driver install executable, as the case may be) will install clean
    copies of the ALC650 software.

    You can remove audio and video stream codecs in Device Manager.
    Reinstalling your media player (ie. Windows MP) will reinstall a clean
    copy.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Headstomp wrote:
    > I still have a feeling it could be the board itself. I can not count
    > how many times i have uninstalled and reinstall the first realtek
    > download you gave me several posts ago and the new install for the HD
    > audio the poorly train tech gave me. I honestly cant figure this out
    > and I would say im not a novice when it comes to pc upgrades. Thats
    > why i think it has to be the board or some incompatibilty with my
    > graphics card which is the only thing installed on the board. At any
    > rate you been a ton of help. I sent an email to shuttle explaining my
    > situation and now i have to play the waiting game.

    Did you also try the driver that (I assume) was included on the CD that
    came with the board? I haven't looked at it but I would think there is
    one there.

    If you aren't seeing conflicts in Device Manager I would say there isn't
    a problem with the video card compatibility.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Travis Jordan wrote:
    > Did you also try the driver that (I assume) was included on the CD
    > that came with the board?

    Also, do any of the inputs work (line and/or microphone)?
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Travis Jordan wrote:
    > Also, do any of the inputs work (line and/or microphone)?

    And one more thing.... did you verify that the preferred device for
    sound playback (Sounds / Multimedia CP) is set to Realtek AC97 Audio?
  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Travis Jordan wrote:
    > Headstomp wrote:
    >
    > > I was think maybe I should try this
    > >
    >
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=949&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21#DRV
    >
    > It probably wouldn't hurt to update the ICH5 driver.
    >
    > > Maybe my speakers are analog
    >
    > All speakers are analog. What do you mean by this?
    >
    > One last thought -- did you confirm that the factory jumpers are
    > installed on pins 5-6 and 9-10 of JP3 (the front audio connector)?


    yes I checked to make sure to those jumpers were set.
    Whats funny is that when i go into the sound and audio devices in the
    control panel than volume and advance in volume control the pc speakers
    volume works but the balance does not. its greyed out.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Headstomp wrote:

    > I was think maybe I should try this
    >
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=949&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21#DRV

    It probably wouldn't hurt to update the ICH5 driver.

    > Maybe my speakers are analog

    All speakers are analog. What do you mean by this?

    One last thought -- did you confirm that the factory jumpers are
    installed on pins 5-6 and 9-10 of JP3 (the front audio connector)?
  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Travis Jordan wrote:
    > Headstomp wrote:
    > > Whats funny is that when i go into the sound and audio devices in
    the
    > > control panel than volume and advance in volume control the pc
    > > speakers volume works but the balance does not. its greyed out.
    >
    > What mixer device is used? (Open Volume Control, Options/Properties).

    Realtek AC97
  36. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Travis Jordan wrote:
    > Headstomp wrote:
    > > Whats funny is that when i go into the sound and audio devices in
    the
    > > control panel than volume and advance in volume control the pc
    > > speakers volume works but the balance does not. its greyed out.
    >
    > What mixer device is used? (Open Volume Control, Options/Properties).

    Realtek AC97 Audio
  37. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Yes i have that
    I check and un check every available option
    The audio jacks must not be detected or something
    Could the physical hardware of the jacks be broken somehow?
  38. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Yes the speaker hum when I touch the input plug.
    Plus I plug the speakers into other devices and they worked fine.(mp3
    player and cd stand alone player)
    I am strongly leaning towards a MB defect.
  39. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    This is confusing
    everything worked flawlessly on my old ASUS 850mhz mb
    it was just slow.
    This sound thing is driving me crazy
  40. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Could it be an IRQ conflict with the Graphics cards
  41. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Im at work right now and not in front of my home pc but if i can
    rememeber correctly the advance controls are greyed out
  42. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    I didnt install this:
    IEEE 1394A: IEEE 1394a interface provides high speed digital interface
    for audio / video appliances such as digital television, digital video
    camcorders, storage peripherals & other PC portable devices.

    I do not have any digital devices so I left that and the extra USB
    ports off.
    That shouldnt matter right?
  43. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    I just got off the phone with MWAVE's tech support and they said its a
    common problem with this board. He said Shuttle company does not have a
    great quality control system and that I should send in the board for a
    replacement.
    So I guess thats what I am going to do. So I have to wait another week
    or two to find out.
    Oh well thank you for all your help.
  44. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Still doesnt explain why the sblive didnt work
    Now I just have to keep the processor and memory in a secure location
    until I get the board back
  45. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Yes will do
  46. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Headstomp wrote:
    > Whats funny is that when i go into the sound and audio devices in the
    > control panel than volume and advance in volume control the pc
    > speakers volume works but the balance does not. its greyed out.

    What mixer device is used? (Open Volume Control, Options/Properties).
  47. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Headstomp wrote:
    > Realtek AC97 Audio

    That would be correct.

    This is sure a mystery. It will be interesting to see what you finally
    figure out to be the problem.

    Do you have a Sound Effects Manager CP in Windows XP? It is a Realtek
    control panel that shows up in Windows 2000 and has settings for auto
    detect of the audio jacks, etc.
  48. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Headstomp wrote:
    > Yes i have that
    > I check and un check every available option
    > The audio jacks must not be detected or something
    > Could the physical hardware of the jacks be broken somehow?

    Could be.... that of course would be a mainboard defect.

    Of course, the fact that your SBLive card doesn't work either really
    points the finger at your speakers. But you say you've tried other
    speakers with the same results.

    Do your speakers hum when you touch the input plug?
  49. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Headstomp wrote:
    > Yes the speaker hum when I touch the input plug.
    > Plus I plug the speakers into other devices and they worked fine.(mp3
    > player and cd stand alone player)
    > I am strongly leaning towards a MB defect.

    I would agree with you, but that still doesn't explain why the SBLive
    card doesn't work.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards