Convert Wired motel connection to wireless ?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 2, 2005 3:44:52 PM

If I'm staying in a motel with a wired internet connection and I want to be
able to surf without a 20 foot network wire, how do I convert the wired into
wireless?

I have wifi on my laptop.

Do I need a wireless ethernet bridge ?
April 2, 2005 4:13:39 PM

you need a wireless access point.

"lovebaby" <mschmidt@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
> If I'm staying in a motel with a wired internet connection and I want to
be
> able to surf without a 20 foot network wire, how do I convert the wired
into
> wireless?
>
> I have wifi on my laptop.
>
> Do I need a wireless ethernet bridge ?

April 4, 2005 10:59:03 AM

It would be nice if one could wave a magic wand and convert a fixed LAN to
wireless in such an easy manner.

Facts are that one needs to establish a wireless environment: this requires
an Access device, be it by way of a router or wireless access point.

In either event there is an investment to be made both in money to buy the
wireless device and then time to set it up securely.

Now go off and persuade the motel owner that it is in his better interest to
spend money so that you can walk around his motel rooms.

"Dave" wrote:

> you need a wireless access point.
>
> "lovebaby" <mschmidt@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
> > If I'm staying in a motel with a wired internet connection and I want to
> be
> > able to surf without a 20 foot network wire, how do I convert the wired
> into
> > wireless?
> >
> > I have wifi on my laptop.
> >
> > Do I need a wireless ethernet bridge ?

April 5, 2005 12:18:49 AM

of course its that easy. buy a cheap access point, plug it into the hotel's
ethernet and viola, you have instant around the room roaming. of course it
would be nice if you configured some security or you could find other hotel
guests sharing your port or trying to access your computer. but if you want
to carry around an access point so you can roam around your hotel room (or
put it in the window overlooking the pool and go browse and browse at the
same time) that is all you need.

news:D C580C63-2F1C-4B95-A44E-C83FD0D4854D@microsoft.com...