Convert Wired motel connection to wireless ?

If I'm staying in a motel with a wired internet connection and I want to be
able to surf without a 20 foot network wire, how do I convert the wired into
wireless?

I have wifi on my laptop.

Do I need a wireless ethernet bridge ?
3 answers Last reply
More about convert wired motel connection wireless

    you need a wireless access point.

    "lovebaby" <mschmidt@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
    > If I'm staying in a motel with a wired internet connection and I want to
    be
    > able to surf without a 20 foot network wire, how do I convert the wired
    into
    > wireless?
    >
    > I have wifi on my laptop.
    >
    > Do I need a wireless ethernet bridge ?

    It would be nice if one could wave a magic wand and convert a fixed LAN to
    wireless in such an easy manner.

    Facts are that one needs to establish a wireless environment: this requires
    an Access device, be it by way of a router or wireless access point.

    In either event there is an investment to be made both in money to buy the
    wireless device and then time to set it up securely.

    Now go off and persuade the motel owner that it is in his better interest to
    spend money so that you can walk around his motel rooms.

    "Dave" wrote:

    > you need a wireless access point.
    >
    > "lovebaby" <mschmidt@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > If I'm staying in a motel with a wired internet connection and I want to
    > be
    > > able to surf without a 20 foot network wire, how do I convert the wired
    > into
    > > wireless?
    > >
    > > I have wifi on my laptop.
    > >
    > > Do I need a wireless ethernet bridge ?

    of course its that easy. buy a cheap access point, plug it into the hotel's
    ethernet and viola, you have instant around the room roaming. of course it
    would be nice if you configured some security or you could find other hotel
    guests sharing your port or trying to access your computer. but if you want
    to carry around an access point so you can roam around your hotel room (or
    put it in the window overlooking the pool and go browse and browse at the
    same time) that is all you need.

    > It would be nice if one could wave a magic wand and convert a fixed LAN to
    > wireless in such an easy manner.
    >
    > Facts are that one needs to establish a wireless environment: this
    requires
    > an Access device, be it by way of a router or wireless access point.
    >
    > In either event there is an investment to be made both in money to buy the
    > wireless device and then time to set it up securely.
    >
    > Now go off and persuade the motel owner that it is in his better interest
    > spend money so that you can walk around his motel rooms.
    >
    > "Dave" wrote:
    >
    > > you need a wireless access point.
    > >
    > > "lovebaby" <mschmidt@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > > If I'm staying in a motel with a wired internet connection and I want
    > > be
    > > > able to surf without a 20 foot network wire, how do I convert the
    wired
    > > into
    > > > wireless?
    > > >
    > > > I have wifi on my laptop.
    > > >
    > > > Do I need a wireless ethernet bridge ?

Wireless Connection Internet Connection Wireless Networking