Unstable SN45g after memory upgrade.

I rebuilt an exising system around a SN45G V3 a few weeks ago. I had
to replace the memory I originally had for it as I couldn't even get
Windows to install with it. I ended up buying a Crucial 512Mb PC3200
DIMM. Everything was fine but until I decided to get another
identicle DIMM. Now I'm back to having random restarts and it's
really annoying me. does anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Sanddancer

Sanddancer wrote:
> I rebuilt an exising system around a SN45G V3 a few weeks ago. I had
> to replace the memory I originally had for it as I couldn't even get
> Windows to install with it. I ended up buying a Crucial 512Mb PC3200
> DIMM. Everything was fine but until I decided to get another
> identicle DIMM. Now I'm back to having random restarts and it's
> really annoying me. does anyone have any ideas?
>
> TIA
>
> Sanddancer

Check the RAM using memtest to see if it's fried.

Bootable ISO/floppy image from:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Ideally you need to leave it running for a good few hours, overnight
normally picks up any problems.

HTH

Pete.

Sanddancer <Sanddancer2002@hotspamspamspammail.com> wrote:
> I rebuilt an exising system around a SN45G V3 a few weeks ago. I had
> to replace the memory I originally had for it as I couldn't even get
> Windows to install with it. I ended up buying a Crucial 512Mb PC3200
> DIMM. Everything was fine but until I decided to get another
> identicle DIMM. Now I'm back to having random restarts and it's
> really annoying me. does anyone have any ideas?

I'd second the memtest suggestion. When I had similar problems, it
actually turned out to be over-aggressive timings in the memory module as
its default setting. I'd gotten the first production run of that model and
the manufacturer backed off to more conservative settings on later runs.
Switching to those timings in BIOS fixed my system problems. If it is a
timing issue, memtest may not show the problem without running for a long
while. I tried the RAM that was giving me issues in two different
machines. For one, memtest showed issues on about the 4th loop. On the
other, I had to leave it running for a day before I saw the same issues.
In both machines, the problem was resolved by changing the timings.

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 11:21:45 GMT, Sanddancer
<Sanddancer2002@hotspamspamspammail.com> wrote:

>I rebuilt an exising system around a SN45G V3 a few weeks ago. I had
>to replace the memory I originally had for it as I couldn't even get
>Windows to install with it. I ended up buying a Crucial 512Mb PC3200
>DIMM. Everything was fine but until I decided to get another
>identicle DIMM. Now I'm back to having random restarts and it's
>really annoying me. does anyone have any ideas?
>
>TIA
>
>Sanddancer

Thanks, I'll give it a look. I did notice that the memory timing was
wrong when it autodetected it. I'll play around with it some more.
It worked fine with the 1 stick in it though?

Sanddancer