canon i865 drivers conflict with ATI Rage on Windows 98?

Dear readers,

Does anyone recognize a problem with the Canon i865 driver for Windows
98 confliting with the drivers for the ATI Rage Pro driver? If I
remove the ATI driver the printerdriver works fine. However, if I
enable the ATI installing the Canon driver causes the PC to hang
completely and I have to do a cold restart. The hang also occurs when,
with an already installed driver, I click the "Main" tab on the
"preferences" dialog: boom, no response anymore. All of this works
fine on Windows NT 4.0

ATI Rage data: driver version 4.3.139, 4.0.0 ,ati2mtaa.sys,
ati2dvaa.dll, Adapter chip type Rage 128Pro (AGP4x), Bios BK3.0.1
VR001.001.003.001.026

Canon driver version Ver.4.60

Any reply would be highly appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about canon i865 drivers conflict rage windows

    Eristalis Pertinax wrote:
    > Dear readers,
    >
    > Does anyone recognize a problem with the Canon i865 driver for Windows
    > 98 confliting with the drivers for the ATI Rage Pro driver? If I
    > remove the ATI driver the printerdriver works fine. However, if I
    > enable the ATI installing the Canon driver causes the PC to hang
    > completely and I have to do a cold restart. The hang also occurs when,
    > with an already installed driver, I click the "Main" tab on the
    > "preferences" dialog: boom, no response anymore. All of this works
    > fine on Windows NT 4.0
    >
    > ATI Rage data: driver version 4.3.139, 4.0.0 ,ati2mtaa.sys,
    > ati2dvaa.dll, Adapter chip type Rage 128Pro (AGP4x), Bios BK3.0.1
    > VR001.001.003.001.026
    >
    > Canon driver version Ver.4.60
    >
    > Any reply would be highly appreciated.

    I am suspicious that the problem is the printer driver installation
    method. In Win98, the driver should be installed before the printer is
    connected the first time, or connected the first time only when the
    driver installation calls for it. Doing otherwise often leads to
    spurious problems with Win98 device installations. Plug and Play only
    works properly when the driver is resident in the Win98 driver set.

    "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message news:<ZJ6dneQQ78qONW_dRVn-hg@comcast.com>...
    > I am suspicious that the problem is the printer driver installation
    > method. In Win98, the driver should be installed before the printer is
    > connected the first time, or connected the first time only when the
    > driver installation calls for it. Doing otherwise often leads to
    > spurious problems with Win98 device installations. Plug and Play only
    > works properly when the driver is resident in the Win98 driver set.

    Dear Quaoar,

    I have tried all combinations of connected/disconnected, on/off etc.
    In all combinations the same problem occurred. It does seem to have to
    do with the ATI driver, because without the ATI driver all
    combinations of connected/disconnected and on/off worked fine...

    regards Eristalis

    Eristalis@hotmail.com (Eristalis Pertinax) wrote in message news:<6dd67589.0407130202.6b5b8589@posting.google.com>...
    > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message news:<ZJ6dneQQ78qONW_dRVn-hg@comcast.com>...
    > > I am suspicious that the problem is the printer driver installation
    > > method. In Win98, the driver should be installed before the printer is
    > > connected the first time, or connected the first time only when the
    > > driver installation calls for it. Doing otherwise often leads to
    > > spurious problems with Win98 device installations. Plug and Play only
    > > works properly when the driver is resident in the Win98 driver set.

    > Dear Quaoar,
    >
    > I have tried all combinations of connected/disconnected, on/off etc.
    > In all combinations the same problem occurred. It does seem to have to
    > do with the ATI driver, because without the ATI driver all
    > combinations of connected/disconnected and on/off worked fine...
    >
    > regards Eristalis

    Well, the problem is solved. I removed my ATI driver, installed
    DirectX 9, installed a new ATI driver (a specific one for my VIA
    Apollo MVP3 chipset) and hey presto, the Canon dialog worked fine. The
    old "update your drivers and stuff around it" routine did the trick
    again.

    regards

    Eristalis

Printers Drivers Canon ATI Peripherals