Can't seem to find printer on LAN

Hello all,

Okay, I recently had to rebuild my XP Pro/SP2 installation due to a
motherboard failure. I can't seem to get/find/install the printers. I'm
guessing that I'm missing a service or protocol, but nothing I've found so
far jumps out at me. And it's not like I'm new at this, I set it up
initially and have reinstalled several times since then.

Does anybody have a link to a site that has a step-by-step setup of an HP
(1220C) printer on a LAN?

TIA,
DustyB
7 answers Last reply
More about find printer

    It's on a print server?
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Printing%20to%20Print%20Server%20device.htm
    --
    Cari
    (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

    > It's on a print server?
    No! We've had this discussion before! It's simply out hanging on the LAN.
    There's no print-server or dedicated machine to drive it. It's available to
    anybody that can get to the LAN...

    Any other ideas? I'm sure it's some dumb, simple thing that I've
    overlooked...but I'm just not getting it...

    Dusty

    In news:eKJ5ZN7RFHA.3628@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    DustyB <pc_phixer@innerDROPTHISlodge.com> had this to say:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > Okay, I recently had to rebuild my XP Pro/SP2 installation due to a
    > motherboard failure. I can't seem to get/find/install the printers. I'm
    > guessing that I'm missing a service or protocol, but nothing I've
    > found so far jumps out at me. And it's not like I'm new at this, I
    > set it up initially and have reinstalled several times since then.
    >
    > Does anybody have a link to a site that has a step-by-step setup of
    > an HP (1220C) printer on a LAN?
    >

    > TIA,
    > DustyB

    Dumb questions... Do you have A) the firewall on the LAN connection between
    the two computers? If so is it set to block printer sharing? B) Do you have
    the option to share the printer enabled in your LAN setup?

    Galen

    Hi Galen,

    Thanks for the speedy reply.

    > Dumb questions... Do you have A) the firewall on the LAN connection
    > between the two computers? If so is it set to block printer sharing? B) Do
    > you have
    Not dumb at all. Yes. I do have printer sharing enabled (checked).

    > the option to share the printer enabled in your LAN setup?
    Don't know exactly where this would be checked/tested. How do I verify
    this?

    I can't "find" the printer on the LAN. It seems to be invisible.
    Consequently I can't "create" it, and can't set up any drivers. Donno why
    this would be so, it worked fine last week, and I only fixed my mobo and
    didn't touch the LAN and any of it's attached devices. And, obviously, this
    eMail got out...so my LAN works like it used to...

    Dusty
    San Jose, Ca.

    > Galen
    > --
    > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

    try this
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Resource.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=25521&prodTypeId=18972

    | "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in
    message

    | > It's on a print server?
    | No! We've had this discussion before! It's simply out
    hanging on the LAN.
    | There's no print-server or dedicated machine to drive it.
    It's available to
    | anybody that can get to the LAN...
    |
    | Any other ideas? I'm sure it's some dumb, simple thing
    that I've
    | overlooked...but I'm just not getting it...
    |

    | Dusty

    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Printing%20to%20Print%20Server%20device.htm
    | > --
    | > Cari
    | > (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
    | >
    | > "DustyB" <pc_phixer@innerDROPTHISlodge.com> wrote in
    message

    | >> Hello all,
    | >>
    | >> Okay, I recently had to rebuild my XP Pro/SP2
    installation due to a
    | >> motherboard failure. I can't seem to get/find/install
    the printers. I'm
    | >> guessing that I'm missing a service or protocol, but
    nothing I've found
    | >> so far jumps out at me. And it's not like I'm new at
    this, I set it up
    | >> initially and have reinstalled several times since
    then.

    | >> Does anybody have a link to a site that has a
    step-by-step setup of an HP
    | >> (1220C) printer on a LAN?
    | >>

    | >> TIA,
    | >> DustyB

    Hi,

    See this link:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=25521&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=bpd07297

    Hope it helps.

    Peter

    In news:uXu0r47RFHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    DustyB <pc_phixer@innerDROPTHISlodge.com> had this to say:

    > Hi Galen,
    >
    > Thanks for the speedy reply.
    >
    > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Dumb questions... Do you have A) the firewall on the LAN connection
    >> between the two computers? If so is it set to block printer sharing?
    >> B) Do you have
    > Not dumb at all. Yes. I do have printer sharing enabled (checked).
    >
    >> the option to share the printer enabled in your LAN setup?
    > Don't know exactly where this would be checked/tested. How do I
    > verify this?
    >
    > I can't "find" the printer on the LAN. It seems to be invisible.
    > Consequently I can't "create" it, and can't set up any drivers. Donno why
    > this would be so, it worked fine last week, and I only
    > fixed my mobo and didn't touch the LAN and any of it's attached
    > devices. And, obviously, this eMail got out...so my LAN works like
    > it used to...
    >
    > Dusty
    > San Jose, Ca.
    >

    >> Galen
    >> --
    >> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    >> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

    Specifically ON the PC which the printer is connected to... If you can't see
    the printer on that box then it's not installed. Does THAT box have printer
    sharing enabled in other words? Does THAT box have a firewall on it? Right
    click your connection properties and see if it's enabled.

    Galen

Printers Windows XP