Can't seem to find printer on LAN

Hello all,

Okay, I recently had to rebuild my XP Pro/SP2 installation due to a
motherboard failure. I can't seem to get/find/install the printers. I'm
guessing that I'm missing a service or protocol, but nothing I've found so
far jumps out at me. And it's not like I'm new at this, I set it up
initially and have reinstalled several times since then.

Does anybody have a link to a site that has a step-by-step setup of an HP
(1220C) printer on a LAN?

TIA,
DustyB

It's on a print server?
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Printing%20to%20Print%20Server%20device.htm
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

> It's on a print server?
No! We've had this discussion before! It's simply out hanging on the LAN.
There's no print-server or dedicated machine to drive it. It's available to
anybody that can get to the LAN...

Any other ideas? I'm sure it's some dumb, simple thing that I've
overlooked...but I'm just not getting it...

Dusty

> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Printing%20to%20Print%20Server%20device.htm
> --
> Cari
> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>
> "DustyB" <pc_phixer@innerDROPTHISlodge.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Okay, I recently had to rebuild my XP Pro/SP2 installation due to a
>> motherboard failure. I can't seem to get/find/install the printers. I'm
>> guessing that I'm missing a service or protocol, but nothing I've found
>> so far jumps out at me. And it's not like I'm new at this, I set it up
>> initially and have reinstalled several times since then.
>>
>> Does anybody have a link to a site that has a step-by-step setup of an HP
>> (1220C) printer on a LAN?
>>

>> TIA,
>> DustyB

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:eKJ5ZN7RFHA.3628@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
DustyB <pc_phixer@innerDROPTHISlodge.com> had this to say:

> Hello all,
>
> Okay, I recently had to rebuild my XP Pro/SP2 installation due to a
> motherboard failure. I can't seem to get/find/install the printers. I'm
> guessing that I'm missing a service or protocol, but nothing I've
> found so far jumps out at me. And it's not like I'm new at this, I
> set it up initially and have reinstalled several times since then.
>
> Does anybody have a link to a site that has a step-by-step setup of
> an HP (1220C) printer on a LAN?
>

> TIA,
> DustyB

Dumb questions... Do you have A) the firewall on the LAN connection between
the two computers? If so is it set to block printer sharing? B) Do you have
the option to share the printer enabled in your LAN setup?

Galen

Hi Galen,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

> Dumb questions... Do you have A) the firewall on the LAN connection
> between the two computers? If so is it set to block printer sharing? B) Do
> you have
Not dumb at all. Yes. I do have printer sharing enabled (checked).

> the option to share the printer enabled in your LAN setup?
Don't know exactly where this would be checked/tested. How do I verify
this?

I can't "find" the printer on the LAN. It seems to be invisible.
Consequently I can't "create" it, and can't set up any drivers. Donno why
this would be so, it worked fine last week, and I only fixed my mobo and
didn't touch the LAN and any of it's attached devices. And, obviously, this
eMail got out...so my LAN works like it used to...

Dusty
San Jose, Ca.

> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

try this
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Resource.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=25521&prodTypeId=18972

| "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in
message

| > It's on a print server?
| No! We've had this discussion before! It's simply out
hanging on the LAN.
| There's no print-server or dedicated machine to drive it.
It's available to
| anybody that can get to the LAN...
|
| Any other ideas? I'm sure it's some dumb, simple thing
that I've
| overlooked...but I'm just not getting it...
|

| Dusty

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Printing%20to%20Print%20Server%20device.htm
| > --
| > Cari
| > (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
| >
| > "DustyB" <pc_phixer@innerDROPTHISlodge.com> wrote in
message

| >> Hello all,
| >>
| >> Okay, I recently had to rebuild my XP Pro/SP2
installation due to a
| >> motherboard failure. I can't seem to get/find/install
the printers. I'm
| >> guessing that I'm missing a service or protocol, but
nothing I've found
| >> so far jumps out at me. And it's not like I'm new at
this, I set it up
| >> initially and have reinstalled several times since
then.

| >> Does anybody have a link to a site that has a
step-by-step setup of an HP
| >> (1220C) printer on a LAN?
| >>

| >> TIA,
| >> DustyB

peter

Hi,

See this link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=25521&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=bpd07297

Hope it helps.

Peter

"DustyB" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Okay, I recently had to rebuild my XP Pro/SP2 installation due to a
> motherboard failure. I can't seem to get/find/install the printers. I'm
> guessing that I'm missing a service or protocol, but nothing I've found so
> far jumps out at me. And it's not like I'm new at this, I set it up
> initially and have reinstalled several times since then.
>
> Does anybody have a link to a site that has a step-by-step setup of an HP
> (1220C) printer on a LAN?
>

> TIA,
> DustyB

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:uXu0r47RFHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
DustyB <pc_phixer@innerDROPTHISlodge.com> had this to say:

> Hi Galen,
>
> Thanks for the speedy reply.
>
> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Dumb questions... Do you have A) the firewall on the LAN connection
>> between the two computers? If so is it set to block printer sharing?
>> B) Do you have
> Not dumb at all. Yes. I do have printer sharing enabled (checked).
>
>> the option to share the printer enabled in your LAN setup?
> Don't know exactly where this would be checked/tested. How do I
> verify this?
>
> I can't "find" the printer on the LAN. It seems to be invisible.
> Consequently I can't "create" it, and can't set up any drivers. Donno why
> this would be so, it worked fine last week, and I only
> fixed my mobo and didn't touch the LAN and any of it's attached
> devices. And, obviously, this eMail got out...so my LAN works like
> it used to...
>
> Dusty
> San Jose, Ca.
>

>> Galen
>> --
>> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
>> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Specifically ON the PC which the printer is connected to... If you can't see
the printer on that box then it's not installed. Does THAT box have printer
sharing enabled in other words? Does THAT box have a firewall on it? Right
click your connection properties and see if it's enabled.

Galen