SN41G2V3 and Athlon XP 3200+ problem

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2005 4:35:55 AM

I have seen a few similar problems to the one I’m having ponsted on
various boards, but I still really haven’t seen a solution.

I have a Shuttle XPC SN41G2V3, an Athlon XP 3200+, and 1GB of Corsair
ValueSelect PC3200 Dual Channel memory (and, yes, I have an AGP card
so that the memory runs at full speed)

When I first hooked everything up, the system was fine.

However, after a few reboots, the BIOS suddenly decided to report the
processor as an Athlon XP 1100MHz. I went in to the BIOS and the FSB
was set to ’200MHz,’ but the machine was acting as if the FSB was
running at 100MHz. I tried changing the FSB to 100MHz, rebooting, and
then changing it back to 200MHz, but no luck.

So, I unplugged the power cord, hit the clear CMOS button for 5
seconds, and then powered it back up. The BIOS reported Athlon XP
1100MHz again, but this time the FSB was set to 100MHz. I reset it to
200MHz and, voila, I have an Athlon XP 3200+ again.

Problem is, about three reboots later, it does this again. I don’t
want to have to clear my CMOS every other day with this computer. Any
ideas?

I saw one post saying that Corsair memory doesn’t like Shuttle
motherboards. Can anybody confirm this? I might be able to track
down some other memory to try.

I sent an email to Shuttle tech support over a week ago, and they have
yet to reply...I’m starting to think about calling them, though I’m
not looking forward to a lengthy long distance phone call....

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Shuttle-SN41G2V3-Athlon-X...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=294250
July 7, 2005 12:38:20 AM

"dan2" wrote:
> I have seen a few similar problems to the one I'm having
> ponsted on various boards, but I still really haven't seen a
> solution.
>
> I have a Shuttle XPC SN41G2V3, an Athlon XP 3200+, and 1GB of
> Corsair ValueSelect PC3200 Dual Channel memory (and, yes, I
> have an AGP card so that the memory runs at full speed)
>
> When I first hooked everything up, the system was fine.
>
> However, after a few reboots, the BIOS suddenly decided to
> report the processor as an Athlon XP 1100MHz. I went in to
> the BIOS and the FSB was set to '200MHz,' but the machine was
> acting as if the FSB was running at 100MHz. I tried changing
> the FSB to 100MHz, rebooting, and then changing it back to
> 200MHz, but no luck.
>
> So, I unplugged the power cord, hit the clear CMOS button for
> 5 seconds, and then powered it back up. The BIOS reported
> Athlon XP 1100MHz again, but this time the FSB was set to
> 100MHz. I reset it to 200MHz and, voila, I have an Athlon XP
> 3200+ again.
>
> Problem is, about three reboots later, it does this again. I
> don't want to have to clear my CMOS every other day with this
> computer. Any ideas?
>
> I saw one post saying that Corsair memory doesn't like Shuttle
> motherboards. Can anybody confirm this? I might be able to
> track down some other memory to try.
>
> I sent an email to Shuttle tech support over a week ago, and
> they have yet to reply...I'm starting to think about calling
> them, though I'm not looking forward to a lengthy long
> distance phone call....

Hi Dan2,

Have you found a solution to your problem and has Shuttle replied yet
?

I have exactly the same problem as you, except that even when reseting
the CMOS I never got this damn SN41G2V3 to recognize my AMD Barton
3200+ as anything else than 1100 MHz CPU.
I really tried everything : flashing with the latest BIOS, increase
the FSB speed gradually up to 300 MHz, changing the multiplier, but no
luck, it always reports 1100 MHz. cpu-z1 report : FSB 100, multiplier
11, bus speed 200 => CPU clock 1100 MHz.

My config is :
- SN41G2V3
- AMD Barton 3200+
- 2 x 1Go PC3200 memory from Corsair
- AGP card ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256 Mo
- 2 SATA HDD
- 1 DVD burner
- 1 PCI card

I emailed shuttle a few days ago, no reply ... I am desperate ...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2005 12:38:46 AM

"Erik" wrote:
> Hi Dan2,
>
> Have you found a solution to your problem and has Shuttle
> replied yet ?
>
> I have exactly the same problem as you, except that even when
> reseting the CMOS I never got this damn SN41G2V3 to recognize
> my AMD Barton 3200+ as anything else than 1100 MHz CPU.
> I really tried everything : flashing with the latest BIOS,
> increase the FSB speed gradually up to 300 MHz, changing the
> multiplier, but no luck, it always reports 1100 MHz. cpu-z1
> report : FSB 100, multiplier 11, bus speed 200 => CPU clock
> 1100 MHz.
>
> My config is :
> - SN41G2V3
> - AMD Barton 3200+
> - 2 x 1Go PC3200 memory from Corsair
> - AGP card ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256 Mo
> - 2 SATA HDD
> - 1 DVD burner
> - 1 PCI card
>
> I emailed shuttle a few days ago, no reply ... I am desperate

Still waiting on Shuttle to reply. Really terrible response time...

Don’t know what to tell you... If I clear the CMOS on mine, and then
manually set the FSB to 200MHz, it works correctly for a short time.
Related resources
July 30, 2005 3:18:50 AM

I have a mobile 2500+ coming next week. Hope I don't have this problem as
well. Plan on running it at 3200+

"dan2" <DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> "Erik" wrote:
> > Hi Dan2,
> >
> > Have you found a solution to your problem and has Shuttle
> > replied yet ?
> >
> > I have exactly the same problem as you, except that even when
> > reseting the CMOS I never got this damn SN41G2V3 to recognize
> > my AMD Barton 3200+ as anything else than 1100 MHz CPU.
> > I really tried everything : flashing with the latest BIOS,
> > increase the FSB speed gradually up to 300 MHz, changing the
> > multiplier, but no luck, it always reports 1100 MHz. cpu-z1
> > report : FSB 100, multiplier 11, bus speed 200 => CPU clock
> > 1100 MHz.
> >
> > My config is :
> > - SN41G2V3
> > - AMD Barton 3200+
> > - 2 x 1Go PC3200 memory from Corsair
> > - AGP card ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256 Mo
> > - 2 SATA HDD
> > - 1 DVD burner
> > - 1 PCI card
> >
> > I emailed shuttle a few days ago, no reply ... I am desperate
>
> Still waiting on Shuttle to reply. Really terrible response time...
>
> Don't know what to tell you... If I clear the CMOS on mine, and then
> manually set the FSB to 200MHz, it works correctly for a short time.
August 2, 2005 1:54:59 AM

mine doesn't run at 200mhz - it will only do 195mhz x 11 - havenn't
rebooted yet - but I think I don't have your problem. Turned out to be just
a 2500+ XP not a mobile. Damn ebay.

"gringo" <holycrapuscuk@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>I have a mobile 2500+ coming next week. Hope I don't have this problem as
>well. Plan on running it at 3200+
>

> "dan2" <DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>> "Erik" wrote:
>> > Hi Dan2,
>> >
>> > Have you found a solution to your problem and has Shuttle
>> > replied yet ?
>> >
>> > I have exactly the same problem as you, except that even when
>> > reseting the CMOS I never got this damn SN41G2V3 to recognize
>> > my AMD Barton 3200+ as anything else than 1100 MHz CPU.
>> > I really tried everything : flashing with the latest BIOS,
>> > increase the FSB speed gradually up to 300 MHz, changing the
>> > multiplier, but no luck, it always reports 1100 MHz. cpu-z1
>> > report : FSB 100, multiplier 11, bus speed 200 => CPU clock
>> > 1100 MHz.
>> >
>> > My config is :
>> > - SN41G2V3
>> > - AMD Barton 3200+
>> > - 2 x 1Go PC3200 memory from Corsair
>> > - AGP card ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256 Mo
>> > - 2 SATA HDD
>> > - 1 DVD burner
>> > - 1 PCI card
>> >
>> > I emailed shuttle a few days ago, no reply ... I am desperate
>>
>> Still waiting on Shuttle to reply. Really terrible response time...
>>
>> Don't know what to tell you... If I clear the CMOS on mine, and then
>> manually set the FSB to 200MHz, it works correctly for a short time.

July 10, 2006 6:15:10 AM

Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem? I know this thread was over a year ago, but I'm having the same problem. If there are any solutions to this problem please let me know. Thanks
July 10, 2006 7:28:11 AM

I had this problem after a bios flash and i ended up buying a new mobo.
!