Gigabit 10/100/1000 card

The 1000 uses the same software as the 100 in most cases,at least with
intel.The 1000 is suppose to be a server type connection with some benifits,
but for the average user,no advantages really.

"John" wrote:

> What advantages am I going to gain getting a mobo with one of these compared
> to 10/100 card?

Tim

Put it this way. GB ethernet is now and future technology. 10/100 is
yesterdays.
If you were wiring a server room, would you wire for 10/100 today even if
you did not need it? I don't think so.

There are many advantages to 1GB - too many to list, but I'll biff in a few
of favourites even for 'slow' systems or systems with a GB card on a stock
PCI bus (shared and so limiting throughput) talking to another GB card:
- faster backups and large file moves. You won't get over 100MB/sec, but if
a backup used to take hours across a network, it may run 30%, 50%, 100% or
perhaps faster. As an individual, I have a nightly backup which I wait to
finish. My big old SCSI based server now has a GB card on a dedicated link
to the backup machine - for backups alone the cost is covered every week in
time saved.
- faster turn around time between messages. With client server / n Tier,
have say a web server connected via GB Lan to DB server, the improvements
are well worth while. = Improved server throughput, reduced locking on DB
servers in high concurrency situations.
- auto cable cross over.
- much better diagnostics.
- much higher quality - the minimum design specs include many features which
were optional, or used not to exist or were in the luxury end of the market
for 10/100.

For the minimal price getting 30%, 50% or perhaps more improvement is often
well worth it. No NIC can run at 100%, getting say 75% of NIC capacity is
optimistic - this is of course 1000% improvement over 100mbit throughput at
a realised 75%. Many look and ask is it worth while getting this 1000% and
only look at the theoretical maximum. You will find probably no current end
user systems capable of pushing a GB NIC flat out, but this is not what it
is about. For high spec server systems, the question is obviously moot.

Migrating to GB networks is a strategy. Buying [server] systems with quality
in built GB NIC's now steps you towards that. Client systems can stay on
100mbit for some time yet and server networks moving to their own GB Lan
using a good switch.

- Tim