Gigabit 10/100/1000 card

What advantages am I going to gain getting a mobo with one of these compared
to 10/100 card?
2 answers Last reply
More about gigabit 1000 card

    The 1000 uses the same software as the 100 in most cases,at least with
    intel.The 1000 is suppose to be a server type connection with some benifits,
    but for the average user,no advantages really.

    "John" wrote:

    > What advantages am I going to gain getting a mobo with one of these compared
    > to 10/100 card?

    Put it this way. GB ethernet is now and future technology. 10/100 is
    yesterdays.
    If you were wiring a server room, would you wire for 10/100 today even if
    you did not need it? I don't think so.

    There are many advantages to 1GB - too many to list, but I'll biff in a few
    of favourites even for 'slow' systems or systems with a GB card on a stock
    PCI bus (shared and so limiting throughput) talking to another GB card:
    - faster backups and large file moves. You won't get over 100MB/sec, but if
    a backup used to take hours across a network, it may run 30%, 50%, 100% or
    perhaps faster. As an individual, I have a nightly backup which I wait to
    finish. My big old SCSI based server now has a GB card on a dedicated link
    to the backup machine - for backups alone the cost is covered every week in
    time saved.
    - faster turn around time between messages. With client server / n Tier,
    have say a web server connected via GB Lan to DB server, the improvements
    are well worth while. = Improved server throughput, reduced locking on DB
    servers in high concurrency situations.
    - auto cable cross over.
    - much better diagnostics.
    - much higher quality - the minimum design specs include many features which
    were optional, or used not to exist or were in the luxury end of the market
    for 10/100.

    For the minimal price getting 30%, 50% or perhaps more improvement is often
    well worth it. No NIC can run at 100%, getting say 75% of NIC capacity is
    optimistic - this is of course 1000% improvement over 100mbit throughput at
    a realised 75%. Many look and ask is it worth while getting this 1000% and
    only look at the theoretical maximum. You will find probably no current end
    user systems capable of pushing a GB NIC flat out, but this is not what it
    is about. For high spec server systems, the question is obviously moot.

    Migrating to GB networks is a strategy. Buying [server] systems with quality
    in built GB NIC's now steps you towards that. Client systems can stay on
    100mbit for some time yet and server networks moving to their own GB Lan
    using a good switch.

    - Tim

    "John" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What advantages am I going to gain getting a mobo with one of these
    > compared to 10/100 card?

Hardware Microsoft Windows XP Product