SB86i + intel pentium D 820+ = screwed?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

I just got a new Shuttle SB86i from new egg,
I put the whole thing together,
and it powers up (fan spins, cd ejects)
but I got nothing out of the old video port...

I dug a little and I realized I didn't read up
enough, the damn thing doesn't support the
processor I ordered - right form factor so it fits (LGA755)
but the CPU is a dual core model and the motherboard
doesn't support dual core. &$*^(&*!!!!!

Does anyone have some idea if
1) the dual core cpu is now toast (I did notice the
heatsink warmed up pretty quick, so it was definitely
getting power in some manner)
2) the SB86i is now toast (seems less likely, but
then again who would be stupid enough to put in
the wrong processor?)

Thanks very much,
Aaron

AaronM wrote:
> I just got a new Shuttle SB86i from new egg,
> I put the whole thing together,
> and it powers up (fan spins, cd ejects)
> but I got nothing out of the old video port...
>
> I dug a little and I realized I didn't read up
> enough, the damn thing doesn't support the
> processor I ordered - right form factor so it fits (LGA755)
> but the CPU is a dual core model and the motherboard
> doesn't support dual core. &$*^(&*!!!!!
>
> Does anyone have some idea if
> 1) the dual core cpu is now toast (I did notice the
> heatsink warmed up pretty quick, so it was definitely
> getting power in some manner)
> 2) the SB86i is now toast (seems less likely, but
> then again who would be stupid enough to put in
> the wrong processor?)
Did you ever test either of these, or are you waiting for someone to
give you a guess and call it an answer? My guess is no to both and my
advice is buy a new motherboard to match the CPU.

--
bill davidsen
http://newsgroups.news.prodigy.com