Using a Seagate tape drive for backup

Seagate tape drive STT20000A.

I would like to use this drive to backup my hard drive, but I do not have
any instructions.

Would appreciate URL to downloadable/printable directions, or other source
where such might be available.

Do you need further info?

Thank you very much.

Nels
4 answers Last reply
More about using seagate tape drive backup

    Nels Hansen wrote:

    > Seagate tape drive STT20000A.
    >
    > I would like to use this drive to backup my hard drive, but I do not
    > have any instructions.
    >
    > Would appreciate URL to downloadable/printable directions, or other
    > source where such might be available.
    >
    > Do you need further info?
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    >
    > Nels

    Windows XP includes a backup utility which supports your tape drive, or
    you could purchase third party backup software. Here's a good place to
    start:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx

    Sunny

    Sunny:

    Thank you for the info - it is appreciated. (I am not smart enough to have
    contemplated that WinXP would have a backup program that works with a tape
    drive - I should have known, huh?)

    Because I am such a novice at this stuff, do you also have a suggestion for
    instructions in restoring from the tape drive (if such becomes necessary)?

    Again, thank you very much for your help.

    Nels

    Nels Hansen wrote:

    > Sunny:
    >
    > Thank you for the info - it is appreciated. (I am not smart enough to
    > have contemplated that WinXP would have a backup program that works with
    > a tape drive - I should have known, huh?)

    Actually, the original Windows backup program _only_ worked with tape
    drives, but has been enhanced to support other devices over the years.

    > Because I am such a novice at this stuff, do you also have a suggestion
    > for instructions in restoring from the tape drive (if such becomes
    > necessary)?

    I suggest you experiment with the Windows backup/restore wizard to learn
    it's ways, clicking the help button as necessary. It really is quite
    intuitive.

    The wizard will restore files to their original locations by default,
    but you can click the Advanced button to select an alternate location,
    such as a temporary folder. Using an alternate restore location allows
    you to verify that your tape backups are able to be restored without
    risking damage to your original files. I highly recommend you try this,
    so you know your backups will work in the event you need them.

    > Again, thank you very much for your help.

    You are most welcome.

    Sunny

    > "Sunny" <sunny@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >

    >> Nels Hansen wrote:
    >>

    >>> Seagate tape drive STT20000A.
    >>>
    >>> I would like to use this drive to backup my hard drive, but I do not
    >>> have any instructions.
    >>>
    >>> Would appreciate URL to downloadable/printable directions, or other
    >>> source where such might be available.
    >>>
    >>> Do you need further info?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you very much.
    >>>
    >>> Nels
    >>

    >> Windows XP includes a backup utility which supports your tape drive,
    >> or you could purchase third party backup software. Here's a good place
    >> to start:
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx
    >>

    >> Sunny

    Sunny:

    Well, I'm going to give it a very tentative and careful tryout, and see how
    much trouble I get into.

    Your help is much appreciated.

    > Nels Hansen wrote:
    >

    >> Sunny:
    >>
    >> Thank you for the info - it is appreciated. (I am not smart enough to
    >> have contemplated that WinXP would have a backup program that works with
    >> a tape drive - I should have known, huh?)
    >
    > Actually, the original Windows backup program _only_ worked with tape
    > drives, but has been enhanced to support other devices over the years.
    >
    >> Because I am such a novice at this stuff, do you also have a suggestion
    >> for instructions in restoring from the tape drive (if such becomes
    >> necessary)?
    >
    > I suggest you experiment with the Windows backup/restore wizard to learn
    > it's ways, clicking the help button as necessary. It really is quite
    > intuitive.
    >
    > The wizard will restore files to their original locations by default, but
    > you can click the Advanced button to select an alternate location, such as
    > a temporary folder. Using an alternate restore location allows you to
    > verify that your tape backups are able to be restored without risking
    > damage to your original files. I highly recommend you try this, so you
    > know your backups will work in the event you need them.
    >
    >> Again, thank you very much for your help.
    >
    > You are most welcome.
    >
    > Sunny
    >
    >> "Sunny" <sunny@nospam.net> wrote in message

    >>> Windows XP includes a backup utility which supports your tape drive, or
    >>> you could purchase third party backup software. Here's a good place to
    >>> start:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx
    >>>
    >>> Sunny

Backup Seagate Windows XP