Herb

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

I have a Shuttle AK31 socketA motherboard that I have been running about 3
years now. What is the fastest Athlon processor that I can use with this
board? I'm running a 1.74GHz now.

Herb wrote:
> I have a Shuttle AK31 socketA motherboard that I have been running about 3
> years now. What is the fastest Athlon processor that I can use with this
> board? I'm running a 1.74GHz now.

CPU Support: Socket A CPU
AMD Duron CPU with 200 / 266MHz FSB
AMD Athlon CPU with 200 / 266MHz FSB

Front Side Bus
Including 100/103/105/110/112/120/124/133/140/150 MHz

Multiplier
From x5 to x 12.5 by hardware jumper

I'll add that you can "use" any AMD chip designed for a Socket A
motherboard. You might not be able to get full use of it's potential,
for example, a Barton XP3200. But then again you could upgrade later to
a nF2 Socket A board and you could use the full potential of the Barton
(or other CPU). Or just go all out and get an AMD64 with appropriate
motherboard, but I suspect you're working on a budget so that's a bit
extreme.

--
Ranger Rick

--
Ranger Rick

Herb

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

Thanks Rick, I'll probly wait and go all out with a new motherboard...

Herb