migrating to new hard drive

I 'm running xp pro and want to change my hard drive.

where do i find out how to migrate my system and data, and not lose my
license.
10 answers Last reply
More about migrating hard drive

    "gene" <gene@tomasello.us> wrote in message
    >I 'm running xp pro and want to change my hard drive.
    >
    > where do i find out how to migrate my system and data, and not lose my
    > license.

    Changing your hard drive will not invalidate your licence for any version of
    Windows XP. You are certainly allowed to change out a failed hard drive or
    upgrade to a bigger one. The easiest way is with a disk imaging program as
    mentioned. Some hard drives come with a file copying program but if your
    computer uses a hidden restore/recovery partition they may not work. Even if
    you were to format and reinstall Windows on the new drive then copy all the
    data off the old drive your licence would be valid. You may have to
    reactivate but that usually works fine over the internet. The worst case
    scenario is you would have to phone in the reactivate. It is very unlikely
    that just changing a hard drive would cause a reactivation but it is
    possible.

    Kerry

    Either clone your disk using an imaging tool like Acronis True Image or
    Norton Ghost, or reinstall everything (phew!) and get Microsoft to give you
    a new activation code over the phone. See:

    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London
    "gene" <gene@tomasello.us> wrote in message
    >I 'm running xp pro and want to change my hard drive.
    >
    > where do i find out how to migrate my system and data, and not lose my
    > license.

    Phil's comments are fine BUT, you must NOT have an OEM edition of XP.

    Migration is possible ONLY for full retail versions of XP.

    Kerry Brown Wrote:
    > "... It is very unlikely that just changing a hard drive would cause a
    > reactivation but it is possible.Without _any_ hesitation or problems at all on my Dell Dimension 8400
    (WIN XP Pro), I performed a Norton Ghost 2003 Restore of a
    "disk-to-image" from an external IDE HDD to a SATA HDD set up to
    replace the original IDE Primary Master HDD (no IDE HDDs onboard).

    With my Dell Dimension 8100 (WIN XP Home) on the other hand, I
    performed a Norton Ghost Clone of the IDE Primary Master HDD to a SATA
    HDD in an external enclosure kit which was then removed and placed in
    the Primary Master HDD role (no IDE HDDs in the loop granted the
    PCI-to-SATA host adapter card); the system immediately demanded that
    Windows XP be reactivated within 3 days due to hardware changes - which
    I put off momentarily - but eventually all the -"nickle-and-dime"- error
    messages convinced me to revert to the IDE HDD as Primary Master.

    *-El Pescador-*

    --
    El Pescador
    El Pescador's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=8322

    "El Pescador" <El.Pescador.1o0umb@no-mx.forum.osnn.net> wrote in message

    > Kerry Brown Wrote:
    >> "... It is very unlikely that just changing a hard drive would cause a
    >> reactivation but it is possible.Without _any_ hesitation or problems at
    >> all on my Dell Dimension 8400
    > (WIN XP Pro), I performed a Norton Ghost 2003 Restore of a
    > "disk-to-image" from an external IDE HDD to a SATA HDD set up to
    > replace the original IDE Primary Master HDD (no IDE HDDs onboard).
    >
    > With my Dell Dimension 8100 (WIN XP Home) on the other hand, I
    > performed a Norton Ghost Clone of the IDE Primary Master HDD to a SATA
    > HDD in an external enclosure kit which was then removed and placed in
    > the Primary Master HDD role (no IDE HDDs in the loop granted the
    > PCI-to-SATA host adapter card); the system immediately demanded that
    > Windows XP be reactivated within 3 days due to hardware changes - which
    > I put off momentarily - but eventually all the -"nickle-and-dime"- error
    > messages convinced me to revert to the IDE HDD as Primary Master.
    >
    > *-El Pescador-*

    Why not just reactivate it?

    Kerry

    Kerry Brown Wrote:
    > "... Why not just reactivate it?"Good question; the answer is that the *manifold* -"nickle-and-dime"-
    error messages spooked me. I must confess to developing the -"iceberg
    paranoia complex", i.e.,- only ten percent of the anomalies were being
    revealed while the other ninety percent were just lying -"doggo".-

    -*El Pescador*-

    --

    "BAR" wrote:
    > Phil's comments are fine BUT, you must NOT have an OEM edition of XP.
    >
    > Migration is possible ONLY for full retail versions of XP.

    Why? Why would the cloned OS even know that it was a clone?
    OEM editions can't be installed on other machines (supposedly),
    and assuredly not on other makes of machines, but why couldn't an
    OEM installation simply be moved to a new hard drive if it remained
    on the same machine?

    Rick Lowen

    This might help.

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London

    "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
    > This might help.
    >
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm

    The issue here involves the OP's desire to "migrate" his system to a new HD
    on his current computer. He didn't say what kind of machine it was -- OEM or
    otherwise. One or more of the responses recommended he use a disk imaging
    program, e.g., Ghost, Acronis True Image, etc. to clone the contents of his
    present drive to the new one. Seems to me that's a sensible approach in this
    situation.

    As Rick infers, there should be no problem in the user doing this, either in
    terms of violating the EULA or creating a viable clone. The user is *not*
    transferring his XP OS to a *different* machine; he's simply using a new HD
    in his current machine. The fact that the computer may be an OEM one is
    irrelevant. In all the OEM machines we've worked on where we installed a new
    HD, we had no problem in transferring the contents of the old drive
    containing the XP OS to the new drive via a disk imaging program. And I
    can't think of a single instance where another Activation was even necessary
    when the only component being changed was the HD.
    Anna

    Anna Wrote:
    > "... And I can't think of a single instance where another Activation was
    > even necessary when the only component being changed was the HD..."I was flustered and confused when it happened to me on the second
    attempt (a Norton Ghost 2003 Clone) but not on the first (a Norton
    Ghost 2003 Restore), but it did happen as explained above.

    One key difference in my estimation is that SATA capability was native
    to the Dell Dimension 8300 systemboard, whereas I had to install a
    Vantec PCI-to-SATA Host Adapter Card in the Dimension 8100 - albeit
    that is all guesswork on my part and nothing more.

    *-El Pescador-*

    --
    El Pescador
    El Pescador's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=8322
    View this thread: http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=69693

Hardware Windows XP Microsoft Hard Drives