Lite-On DVD/CD combo writer-recorder speed issue

Does anyone have any experience w/the Lite-On drives in XP?? I cannot seem
to get the dang thing to burn DVD's (-R or +R media) at anything greater than
8X, and the drive is supposed to be 16X for ALL DVD writing/recording, except
the DL, which is 4X, but I don't have any DL disks anyhow........

I tried to use some tools in Nero to "add" the 16X, but that didn't
work........... The drive-speed and measured tests show the drive is only
capable of 8X with DVD writes/records (-R and +R media), but the CD-R/RW is
not having these speed issues.
6 answers Last reply
More about lite combo writer recorder speed issue

    I forgot to mention the model of this drive is a SOHW-1673S

    "Kevin" wrote:

    > Does anyone have any experience w/the Lite-On drives in XP?? I cannot seem
    > to get the dang thing to burn DVD's (-R or +R media) at anything greater than
    > 8X, and the drive is supposed to be 16X for ALL DVD writing/recording, except
    > the DL, which is 4X, but I don't have any DL disks anyhow........
    >
    > I tried to use some tools in Nero to "add" the 16X, but that didn't
    > work........... The drive-speed and measured tests show the drive is only
    > capable of 8X with DVD writes/records (-R and +R media), but the CD-R/RW is
    > not having these speed issues.

    Try liteonit.com,or search at google,at liteonit,download the firmware/drivers
    for the equitment.Depending on what board you have,if using an intel based
    with 850 or earlier chipset,download the application accelerator v2.3 from
    intel,you can adjust the running speed for all drives.

    "Kevin" wrote:

    > I forgot to mention the model of this drive is a SOHW-1673S
    >
    > "Kevin" wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone have any experience w/the Lite-On drives in XP?? I cannot seem
    > > to get the dang thing to burn DVD's (-R or +R media) at anything greater than
    > > 8X, and the drive is supposed to be 16X for ALL DVD writing/recording, except
    > > the DL, which is 4X, but I don't have any DL disks anyhow........
    > >
    > > I tried to use some tools in Nero to "add" the 16X, but that didn't
    > > work........... The drive-speed and measured tests show the drive is only
    > > capable of 8X with DVD writes/records (-R and +R media), but the CD-R/RW is
    > > not having these speed issues.

    I have the latest firmware, and I even reflashed it to see if that would
    work; nope. The computer system is an Emachines S2482 w/AMD AthlonXP 2400+
    running nearly a gig of RAM. Would max speed issues arise from a lack of RAM
    or Virtual Drive space?

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > Try liteonit.com,or search at google,at liteonit,download the firmware/drivers
    > for the equitment.Depending on what board you have,if using an intel based
    > with 850 or earlier chipset,download the application accelerator v2.3 from
    > intel,you can adjust the running speed for all drives.
    >
    > "Kevin" wrote:
    >
    > > I forgot to mention the model of this drive is a SOHW-1673S
    > >
    > > "Kevin" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Does anyone have any experience w/the Lite-On drives in XP?? I cannot seem
    > > > to get the dang thing to burn DVD's (-R or +R media) at anything greater than
    > > > 8X, and the drive is supposed to be 16X for ALL DVD writing/recording, except
    > > > the DL, which is 4X, but I don't have any DL disks anyhow........
    > > >
    > > > I tried to use some tools in Nero to "add" the 16X, but that didn't
    > > > work........... The drive-speed and measured tests show the drive is only
    > > > capable of 8X with DVD writes/records (-R and +R media), but the CD-R/RW is
    > > > not having these speed issues.

    Try a different brand of media and make sure the media is rated for
    16X. The drive reads som encoding on the media to see what the medai
    is capabale of (for DVD's not for CD's).

    Jerry

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:24:04 -0700, "Kevin"
    <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Does anyone have any experience w/the Lite-On drives in XP?? I cannot seem
    >to get the dang thing to burn DVD's (-R or +R media) at anything greater than
    >8X, and the drive is supposed to be 16X for ALL DVD writing/recording, except
    >the DL, which is 4X, but I don't have any DL disks anyhow........
    >
    >I tried to use some tools in Nero to "add" the 16X, but that didn't
    >work........... The drive-speed and measured tests show the drive is only
    >capable of 8X with DVD writes/records (-R and +R media), but the CD-R/RW is
    >not having these speed issues.

    I'm mostly using Memorex and Sony DVD -R/+R media; both of these register
    right around 8X MAXIMUM in Nero DriveSpeed tests. I have used blanks and
    filled disks for the tests and the best case is with +R and I get ~8.3X; I'm
    almost afraid to try DL DVD disks and test them...........

    "Jerome M. Katz" wrote:

    > Try a different brand of media and make sure the media is rated for
    > 16X. The drive reads som encoding on the media to see what the medai
    > is capabale of (for DVD's not for CD's).
    >
    > Jerry
    >
    > On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:24:04 -0700, "Kevin"
    > <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone have any experience w/the Lite-On drives in XP?? I cannot seem
    > >to get the dang thing to burn DVD's (-R or +R media) at anything greater than
    > >8X, and the drive is supposed to be 16X for ALL DVD writing/recording, except
    > >the DL, which is 4X, but I don't have any DL disks anyhow........
    > >
    > >I tried to use some tools in Nero to "add" the 16X, but that didn't
    > >work........... The drive-speed and measured tests show the drive is only
    > >capable of 8X with DVD writes/records (-R and +R media), but the CD-R/RW is
    > >not having these speed issues.

    Are you using media recommended by the manufacturer (Lite-On)? Is the media
    rated at speeds greater than 8x?

    Try these resources.
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/
    http://www.cdrlabs.com/

    r.

    "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I forgot to mention the model of this drive is a SOHW-1673S
    >
    > "Kevin" wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have any experience w/the Lite-On drives in XP?? I cannot
    >> seem
    >> to get the dang thing to burn DVD's (-R or +R media) at anything greater
    >> than
    >> 8X, and the drive is supposed to be 16X for ALL DVD writing/recording,
    >> except
    >> the DL, which is 4X, but I don't have any DL disks anyhow........
    >>
    >> I tried to use some tools in Nero to "add" the 16X, but that didn't
    >> work........... The drive-speed and measured tests show the drive is
    >> only
    >> capable of 8X with DVD writes/records (-R and +R media), but the CD-R/RW
    >> is
    >> not having these speed issues.

DVD Liteon Windows XP