40Gb Missing on HDD

April 25, 2005 8:30:51 AM

My machine is mainly used for video editing, running WinXP Pro. Storage
capacities are (effective/nominal Gb):
(A) SATA HDD 149/160Gb (System, Data),
(B) SATA HDD 149/160Gb (Video),
Removable media:
(C) IDE HDD 111/120Gb (Video)
(D) IDE HDD 186/200Gb (Video)
(E) IDE DVD-RW
All partitions are formatted as NTFS.
Problem: "Drive Full" message for (D) in my editing software.
Drive|Property shows indeed 186Gb used, only 100Mb free space. However,
total size of all folders on (D) is only 146Gb - where are the missing
186 - 146 = 40Gb? Immediately after formatting Drive|Properties did
show 186Gb free space though.
Is there a defrag/cluster size or an IDE controller problem? The drive
contains only few files sized 1Gb...13Gb.

Regards
BERNIE

--
4camelot
4camelot's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=476

More about : 40gb missing hdd

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 12:42:26 PM

"4camelot" <4camelot.1o1ffz@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message
| Problem: "Drive Full" message for (D) in my editing software.
| Drive|Property shows indeed 186Gb used, only 100Mb free space. However,
| total size of all folders on (D) is only 146Gb - where are the missing
| 186 - 146 = 40Gb? Immediately after formatting Drive|Properties did
| show 186Gb free space though.
| Is there a defrag/cluster size or an IDE controller problem? The drive
| contains only few files sized 1Gb...13Gb.
|
| Regards
| BERNIE

SequoiaView is an excellent free (and clean) utility helpful in tracking
down mysterious missing drive space.

It provides a one window graphical representation of which files are taking
up how much space where on a drive, often quickly and easily tracking down
files that Windows is reluctant to reveal.

http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

(It's kinda fun too) :-)

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
April 25, 2005 1:13:34 PM

"4camelot" <4camelot.1o1ffz@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> Problem: "Drive Full" message for (D) in my editing software.
> Drive|Property shows indeed 186Gb used, only 100Mb free space.
> However,
> total size of all folders on (D) is only 146Gb - where are the missing
> 186 - 146 = 40Gb? Immediately after formatting Drive|Properties did
> show 186Gb free space though.

Since you reformatted the partition (and now show 186GB), you'll never
know what was consuming the missing 40GB of disk space.

** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.
April 25, 2005 11:43:41 PM

"4camelot" <4camelot.1o1ffz@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> My machine is mainly used for video editing, running WinXP Pro. Storage
> capacities are (effective/nominal Gb):
> (A) SATA HDD 149/160Gb (System, Data),
> (B) SATA HDD 149/160Gb (Video),
> Removable media:
> (C) IDE HDD 111/120Gb (Video)
> (D) IDE HDD 186/200Gb (Video)
> (E) IDE DVD-RW
> All partitions are formatted as NTFS.
> Problem: "Drive Full" message for (D) in my editing software.
> Drive|Property shows indeed 186Gb used, only 100Mb free space. However,
> total size of all folders on (D) is only 146Gb - where are the missing
> 186 - 146 = 40Gb? Immediately after formatting Drive|Properties did
> show 186Gb free space though.
> Is there a defrag/cluster size or an IDE controller problem? The drive
> contains only few files sized 1Gb...13Gb.
>
> Regards
> BERNIE
>

> --
> 4camelot
> 4camelot's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=476

Try one of these tools to find out what you're really storing on your disk:

DriveUse:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv/freezip/freewar...
Bullet Proof Folder sizes: http://www.foldersizes.com/

You will probably find that there is nothing wrong with your hardware.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 3:14:14 AM

Thanks Everyone - problem solved!

the culprit was Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

- driveuse (and other DS utilities) is excellent, it reports used space
correctly and shows all hidden folders (Explorer showed nothing, not
even RECYCLER despite "Show Hidden Folders" option ticked)

- SequoiaView gives a great overview, however it reported most
files/folder sizes as far too small (eg 4.56Gb instead of 12.5Gb) and
the total did not add up to [Drive size] - [free space]; it did report
free space correctly though.

I have turned of Norton Protected Recycle Bin on all drives (I do
regular disk images anyway) and Recycle Bin on all video drives.

Regards
BERNIE