40Gb Missing on HDD

My machine is mainly used for video editing, running WinXP Pro. Storage
capacities are (effective/nominal Gb):
(A) SATA HDD 149/160Gb (System, Data),
(B) SATA HDD 149/160Gb (Video),
Removable media:
(C) IDE HDD 111/120Gb (Video)
(D) IDE HDD 186/200Gb (Video)
(E) IDE DVD-RW
All partitions are formatted as NTFS.
Problem: "Drive Full" message for (D) in my editing software.
Drive|Property shows indeed 186Gb used, only 100Mb free space. However,
total size of all folders on (D) is only 146Gb - where are the missing
186 - 146 = 40Gb? Immediately after formatting Drive|Properties did
show 186Gb free space though.
Is there a defrag/cluster size or an IDE controller problem? The drive
contains only few files sized 1Gb...13Gb.

Regards
BERNIE

--
4camelot
4camelot's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=476

    "4camelot" <4camelot.1o1ffz@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message
    | Problem: "Drive Full" message for (D) in my editing software.
    | Drive|Property shows indeed 186Gb used, only 100Mb free space. However,
    | total size of all folders on (D) is only 146Gb - where are the missing
    | 186 - 146 = 40Gb? Immediately after formatting Drive|Properties did
    | show 186Gb free space though.
    | Is there a defrag/cluster size or an IDE controller problem? The drive
    | contains only few files sized 1Gb...13Gb.
    |
    | Regards
    | BERNIE

    SequoiaView is an excellent free (and clean) utility helpful in tracking
    down mysterious missing drive space.

    It provides a one window graphical representation of which files are taking
    up how much space where on a drive, often quickly and easily tracking down
    files that Windows is reluctant to reveal.

    http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

    (It's kinda fun too) :-)

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    "4camelot" <4camelot.1o1ffz@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > Problem: "Drive Full" message for (D) in my editing software.
    > Drive|Property shows indeed 186Gb used, only 100Mb free space.
    > However,
    > total size of all folders on (D) is only 146Gb - where are the missing
    > 186 - 146 = 40Gb? Immediately after formatting Drive|Properties did
    > show 186Gb free space though.

    Since you reformatted the partition (and now show 186GB), you'll never
    know what was consuming the missing 40GB of disk space.

    ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
    For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.

    "4camelot" <4camelot.1o1ffz@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > My machine is mainly used for video editing, running WinXP Pro. Storage
    > capacities are (effective/nominal Gb):
    > (A) SATA HDD 149/160Gb (System, Data),
    > (B) SATA HDD 149/160Gb (Video),
    > Removable media:
    > (C) IDE HDD 111/120Gb (Video)
    > (D) IDE HDD 186/200Gb (Video)
    > (E) IDE DVD-RW
    > All partitions are formatted as NTFS.
    > Problem: "Drive Full" message for (D) in my editing software.
    > Drive|Property shows indeed 186Gb used, only 100Mb free space. However,
    > total size of all folders on (D) is only 146Gb - where are the missing
    > 186 - 146 = 40Gb? Immediately after formatting Drive|Properties did
    > show 186Gb free space though.
    > Is there a defrag/cluster size or an IDE controller problem? The drive
    > contains only few files sized 1Gb...13Gb.
    >
    > Regards
    > BERNIE
    >

    > --
    > 4camelot
    > 4camelot's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=476

    Try one of these tools to find out what you're really storing on your disk:

    DriveUse:
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv/freezip/freeware/index.html
    Bullet Proof Folder sizes: http://www.foldersizes.com/

    You will probably find that there is nothing wrong with your hardware.

    Thanks Everyone - problem solved!

    the culprit was Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

    - driveuse (and other DS utilities) is excellent, it reports used space
    correctly and shows all hidden folders (Explorer showed nothing, not
    even RECYCLER despite "Show Hidden Folders" option ticked)

    - SequoiaView gives a great overview, however it reported most
    files/folder sizes as far too small (eg 4.56Gb instead of 12.5Gb) and
    the total did not add up to [Drive size] - [free space]; it did report
    free space correctly though.

    I have turned of Norton Protected Recycle Bin on all drives (I do
    regular disk images anyway) and Recycle Bin on all video drives.

    Regards
    BERNIE

    --
    4camelot