Two monitors, different DPI

I have connected two monitors to my computer; one with a resolution of 117
dpi (laptop native screen) and the other has 86 dpi (i.e. a 19" LCD at
1280x1024 pixels). I would like to account for these physical properties in
the Display Settings in Windows. However, it seems that there is anly the
option of adjusting one "global" dpi setting - not one for each screen. Or
is there a way to aply different dpi settings to each monitor?

dOinK

I have two monitors on my system. I can set up different dpi for each
monitor. right click on desktop, select properties, select the "setting"
tab. You will see a new window display showing both of your monitors
numbered 1 and 2. Left click on Monitor number 1 and then click on the
advance button. Then set the DPI setting for Monitor number 1. Click on
the OK button to return to the Display properties window and left click on
Monitor number 2. Repeat the above procedure. You will end up with two
monitors with different DPI settings.

Lamar

"dOinK" <doinkx@on-my-tan-line.no> wrote in message
:I have connected two monitors to my computer; one with a resolution of 117
: dpi (laptop native screen) and the other has 86 dpi (i.e. a 19" LCD at
: 1280x1024 pixels). I would like to account for these physical properties
in
: the Display Settings in Windows. However, it seems that there is anly the
: option of adjusting one "global" dpi setting - not one for each screen. Or
: is there a way to aply different dpi settings to each monitor?
:
: dOinK
:
:

bar

There should be something for this with the Display Adapter.

Check that yu have the correct drivers for your adapter and then look under
the advanced settings for display properties.

If you can't identify anything in this area then you are stuck with your
'global' setting.

"dOinK" wrote:

> I have connected two monitors to my computer; one with a resolution of 117
> dpi (laptop native screen) and the other has 86 dpi (i.e. a 19" LCD at
> 1280x1024 pixels). I would like to account for these physical properties in
> the Display Settings in Windows. However, it seems that there is anly the
> option of adjusting one "global" dpi setting - not one for each screen. Or
> is there a way to aply different dpi settings to each monitor?
>
> dOinK

"dOinK" <doinkx@on-my-tan-line.no> wrote:

>I have connected two monitors to my computer; one with a resolution of 117
>dpi (laptop native screen) and the other has 86 dpi (i.e. a 19" LCD at
>1280x1024 pixels). I would like to account for these physical properties in
>the Display Settings in Windows. However, it seems that there is anly the
>option of adjusting one "global" dpi setting - not one for each screen. Or
>is there a way to aply different dpi settings to each monitor?
>
>dOinK

Do you have a dual-head video card (or 2 video cards) or are you using
a "Y" cable to connect both monitors to the same video output on the
PC?

If you have two video outputs then when you open Control Panel -
Display and go to the settings tab it should show two monitors at the
top of the Window and give you the option to show the settings for
either one.

One point. When talking about video settings in this context it is
normal to refer to the monitor resolution such as 800 x 600 or 1024 x
768 rather than dpi. Dpi is more commonly used in connection with
printers.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

That is interesting, because what you describe does not work for me. I've
set up the screens in "dualview" mode (each screen shows a part of the
desktop), maybe that is why it seems to be impossible to have different
settings...? When I follow "your" procedure, there is just one dpi setting
(or they are linked), no matter which monitor I highlight before pressing
the Advanced button (or simply double clicking the monitor icon I want to
change).

Any comments/thoughts?

dOinK