USB Logitech webcam not working with SP2

I was not able to get my Quickcam Zoom installed on Windows XP SP2. After an
initial call to Logitech product support, I tried booting clean, still no
luck. On an educated guess, I removed Service Pack 2 and tried again -- and
it worked! However, other items (such as my mouse) no longer worked without
service pack 2, and being a believer that I need to keep up to date with
service packs, I reinstalled SP2. After the installation, the camera
continued to function! Great!

However, after taking my laptop home and returning to the office today (the
site of the camera), it again said that it detected new hardware (QuickCam
Zoom, etc), but during the installation of the drivers, an error is thrown:

"An error occurred during the installation of the device.

The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an
application request."

Can anyone help? Obviously I can't keep uninstalling and reinstalling SP2.

Kevin

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:B267BA16-E796-4F93-8B7B-5E724E8D9D35@microsoft.com,
Kevin <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I was not able to get my Quickcam Zoom installed on Windows XP SP2.
> After an initial call to Logitech product support, I tried booting
> clean, still no luck. On an educated guess, I removed Service Pack 2
> and tried again -- and it worked! However, other items (such as my
> mouse) no longer worked without service pack 2, and being a believer
> that I need to keep up to date with service packs, I reinstalled SP2.
> After the installation, the camera continued to function! Great!
>
> However, after taking my laptop home and returning to the office
> today (the site of the camera), it again said that it detected new
> hardware (QuickCam Zoom, etc), but during the installation of the
> drivers, an error is thrown:
>
> "An error occurred during the installation of the device.
>
> The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or
> an application request."
>
> Can anyone help? Obviously I can't keep uninstalling and
> reinstalling SP2.
>
> Kevin

Have you checked with Logitec about an SP2 compatable driver? Often that's
the only way. Another idea is to remove everything you've done to it so far.
Remove all the software and delete all the drivers related to it. Do a nice
clean boot without the device plugged in. Install the software. Reboot. Plug
in device after the reboot and see if XP picks up the drivers. It's a
round-about method but sometimes works with installing USB devices a bit
better.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes