upgrading from a P4 2.4 533Mhz processor to a P4 2.8 533MH..

I know that if a Motherboard is replaced by a different Motherboard,
WindowsXp can not recovery and a new install is required.

Will WindowsXP (SP I and SP II) recovery if I swap-out my P4 2.4 GHz CPU for
a P4 2.8 GHz CPU.

Thanks,

Lamar
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrading 533mhz processor 533mh

    A new install would not be required - a repair install is what would be
    required and that is an option when you boot from a retail version of the
    CD.
    But, if you change only the CPU that may not be required anyway. It usually
    takes multiple hardware changes.

    "rledford" <lsr.group@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > I know that if a Motherboard is replaced by a different Motherboard,
    > WindowsXp can not recovery and a new install is required.
    >
    > Will WindowsXP (SP I and SP II) recovery if I swap-out my P4 2.4 GHz CPU
    > for
    > a P4 2.8 GHz CPU.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Lamar

    An upgrade from a 2.4 to 2.8, both at 533 FSB is not a good
    value. If the original CPU is fried, then it is probably
    the cheapest replacement, but to get your money's worth,
    consider to fastest CPU that you mobo will support, perhaps
    a 3.0 or 3.2 800 FSB.

    But since the CPU in the same category uses the same
    software instructions, so it should be just a drop-in. But
    if you also change a video card or some other device it
    should not trigger a new activation/reinstall.

    |A new install would not be required - a repair install is
    what would be
    | required and that is an option when you boot from a retail
    version of the
    | CD.
    | But, if you change only the CPU that may not be required
    anyway. It usually
    | takes multiple hardware changes.
    |
    | "rledford" <lsr.group@comcast.net> wrote in message
    | >
    | > I know that if a Motherboard is replaced by a different
    Motherboard,
    | > WindowsXp can not recovery and a new install is
    required.

    | > Will WindowsXP (SP I and SP II) recovery if I swap-out
    my P4 2.4 GHz CPU
    | > for
    | > a P4 2.8 GHz CPU.
    | >
    | > Thanks,
    | >
    | > Lamar

    Allow me to correct you.

    Motherboard swap 'usually' requires a REPAIR installation, not new or clean
    install.

    Change of CPU with existing Mobo, should be fine.

    I have seen MS Office get upset when memory is increased - not sure as to why!

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > An upgrade from a 2.4 to 2.8, both at 533 FSB is not a good
    > value. If the original CPU is fried, then it is probably
    > the cheapest replacement, but to get your money's worth,
    > consider to fastest CPU that you mobo will support, perhaps
    > a 3.0 or 3.2 800 FSB.
    >
    > But since the CPU in the same category uses the same
    > software instructions, so it should be just a drop-in. But
    > if you also change a video card or some other device it
    > should not trigger a new activation/reinstall.
    >

    > "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
    > |A new install would not be required - a repair install is
    > what would be
    > | required and that is an option when you boot from a retail
    > version of the
    > | CD.
    > | But, if you change only the CPU that may not be required
    > anyway. It usually
    > | takes multiple hardware changes.
    > |
    > | "rledford" <lsr.group@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > | >
    > | > I know that if a Motherboard is replaced by a different
    > Motherboard,
    > | > WindowsXp can not recovery and a new install is
    > required.
    > | >
    > | > Will WindowsXP (SP I and SP II) recovery if I swap-out
    > my P4 2.4 GHz CPU
    > | > for
    > | > a P4 2.8 GHz CPU.
    > | >
    > | > Thanks,
    > | >
    > | > Lamar

    I thank you all for responding to my question. I will keep in mind to use
    the repair option if I run into any trouble. Wll let you know the results
    of my swap.

    :
    : I know that if a Motherboard is replaced by a different Motherboard,
    : WindowsXp can not recovery and a new install is required.
    :
    : Will WindowsXP (SP I and SP II) recovery if I swap-out my P4 2.4 GHz CPU
    for
    : a P4 2.8 GHz CPU.
    :
    : Thanks,
    :
    : Lamar
    :
    :

    I remember that I replaced the motherboard and the processor and I had to
    re-install a fresh copy of WindowsXP.

    The processor upgrade when without a hitch. Did not have to do a repair.

    Thanks again for all your jhhelp.

    Ronald

    "rledford" <lsr.group@comcast.net> wrote in message
    :
    : I know that if a Motherboard is replaced by a different Motherboard,
    : WindowsXp can not recovery and a new install is required.
    :
    : Will WindowsXP (SP I and SP II) recovery if I swap-out my P4 2.4 GHz CPU
    for
    : a P4 2.8 GHz CPU.
    :
    : Thanks,
    :
    : Lamar
    :
    :

Data Recovery Processors Motherboards CPUs Windows XP