upgrading from a P4 2.4 533Mhz processor to a P4 2.8 533MH..

a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2005 8:44:01 PM

I know that if a Motherboard is replaced by a different Motherboard,
WindowsXp can not recovery and a new install is required.

Will WindowsXP (SP I and SP II) recovery if I swap-out my P4 2.4 GHz CPU for
a P4 2.8 GHz CPU.

Thanks,

Lamar
April 25, 2005 8:44:02 PM

A new install would not be required - a repair install is what would be
required and that is an option when you boot from a retail version of the
CD.
But, if you change only the CPU that may not be required anyway. It usually
takes multiple hardware changes.

"rledford" <lsr.group@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I know that if a Motherboard is replaced by a different Motherboard,
> WindowsXp can not recovery and a new install is required.
>
> Will WindowsXP (SP I and SP II) recovery if I swap-out my P4 2.4 GHz CPU
> for
> a P4 2.8 GHz CPU.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lamar

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2005 12:09:25 AM

An upgrade from a 2.4 to 2.8, both at 533 FSB is not a good
value. If the original CPU is fried, then it is probably
the cheapest replacement, but to get your money's worth,
consider to fastest CPU that you mobo will support, perhaps
a 3.0 or 3.2 800 FSB.

But since the CPU in the same category uses the same
software instructions, so it should be just a drop-in. But
if you also change a video card or some other device it
should not trigger a new activation/reinstall.

|A new install would not be required - a repair install is
what would be
| required and that is an option when you boot from a retail
version of the
| CD.
| But, if you change only the CPU that may not be required
anyway. It usually
| takes multiple hardware changes.
|
| "rledford" <lsr.group@comcast.net> wrote in message
| >
| > I know that if a Motherboard is replaced by a different
Motherboard,
| > WindowsXp can not recovery and a new install is
required.

| > Will WindowsXP (SP I and SP II) recovery if I swap-out
my P4 2.4 GHz CPU
| > for
| > a P4 2.8 GHz CPU.
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Lamar

Related resources
April 26, 2005 4:25:02 AM

Allow me to correct you.

Motherboard swap 'usually' requires a REPAIR installation, not new or clean
install.

Change of CPU with existing Mobo, should be fine.

I have seen MS Office get upset when memory is increased - not sure as to why!

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> An upgrade from a 2.4 to 2.8, both at 533 FSB is not a good
> value. If the original CPU is fried, then it is probably
> the cheapest replacement, but to get your money's worth,
> consider to fastest CPU that you mobo will support, perhaps
> a 3.0 or 3.2 800 FSB.
>
> But since the CPU in the same category uses the same
> software instructions, so it should be just a drop-in. But
> if you also change a video card or some other device it
> should not trigger a new activation/reinstall.
>

> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
> |A new install would not be required - a repair install is
> what would be
> | required and that is an option when you boot from a retail
> version of the
> | CD.
> | But, if you change only the CPU that may not be required
> anyway. It usually
> | takes multiple hardware changes.
> |
> | "rledford" <lsr.group@comcast.net> wrote in message
> | >
> | > I know that if a Motherboard is replaced by a different
> Motherboard,
> | > WindowsXp can not recovery and a new install is
> required.
> | >
> | > Will WindowsXP (SP I and SP II) recovery if I swap-out
> my P4 2.4 GHz CPU
> | > for
> | > a P4 2.8 GHz CPU.
> | >
> | > Thanks,
> | >
> | > Lamar

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2005 6:21:13 PM

I thank you all for responding to my question. I will keep in mind to use
the repair option if I run into any trouble. Wll let you know the results
of my swap.

:
: I know that if a Motherboard is replaced by a different Motherboard,
: WindowsXp can not recovery and a new install is required.
:
: Will WindowsXP (SP I and SP II) recovery if I swap-out my P4 2.4 GHz CPU
for
: a P4 2.8 GHz CPU.
:
: Thanks,
:
: Lamar
:
:
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2005 2:00:31 AM

I remember that I replaced the motherboard and the processor and I had to
re-install a fresh copy of WindowsXP.

The processor upgrade when without a hitch. Did not have to do a repair.

Thanks again for all your jhhelp.

Ronald

!