Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Trouble loading windows 7 home premium

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
October 31, 2009 4:27:35 PM

bought windows premium 7 home edition I am running windows xp tried to load, it thought about it and after 5 minutes said it could not load it tried about 10 times give up now If I cannot solve it soon its going back to Currys who assured me I would have no problem loading it, they say they wont have it back because I have opened it? how else do I load it,

I have told them if I do not load it in the next couple of days he will be getting a home premium suppository fitted by me, any ideas!!!!
October 31, 2009 4:49:21 PM

Upgrade or full version? 32 or 64 bits?...

what cpu?..


November 1, 2009 4:40:27 PM

pat said:
Upgrade or full version? 32 or 64 bits?...

what cpu?..

upgrade/ CPU havent a clue
Alan
Related resources
November 1, 2009 5:06:32 PM

If you "haven't a clue" what your CPU is, are you really sure you are qualified to be performing a Windows upgrade in the first place? I know that sounds like I'm being rude, but I'm not... I feel it's a valid question.

Problems during my Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit installation indicated I had faulty memory... subsequent Memtest86+ testing revealed that both modules were faulty. Both were replaced and it has been smooth sailing for me.
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 1, 2009 8:06:40 PM

rodney is right. If you don't know what CPU you have, or what flavor of Windows 7 you purchased, you should not be installing Windows. Get someone else to do this for you.
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2009 8:37:29 PM

+1 for the 2 posts above.
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2009 7:28:45 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Sorry to bust in chaps, but I found this earlier and it might be relevant.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139991/Windows_7_endless_reboot_answer_evades_Microsoft?taxonomyId=125&pageNumber=1


I know when upgrading Windows XP to SP3 a ton of systems crashed to to the ground. After a week or two of the good, the bad and ugly about SP3, M$ finally offered free online tech support for SP3 problem related questions. I used that free support to inform Team Windows Supportablity Vista worked fine where SP3 did not in most cases. They didn't think of that as a solution over at supportibility headquarters until I chimed in. I suspect free online tech support for upgrading previous OS's to Windows 7 will show up again. Regarding my SP3 update debacle, my BIOS was the cause. Quoting M$ Chief Windows Supportability human person contact Paul Aaron,

Late Monday, Paul Aaron, Microsoft's senior group manager for Windows supportability, chimed in with a link to another support document. "From reading through the article, it looks like there is a service running in the background that is preventing the upgrade from completing," Aaron said. "Hope this helps."




Definately will be a BIOS issue which of course M$ has no control over.
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2009 7:41:17 AM

Yet another reason to only ever do a clean install as far as I'm concerned as this does seem to be only affecting the 'upgraders'.
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2009 7:45:02 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Yet another reason to only ever do a clean install as far as I'm concerned as this does seem to be only affecting the 'upgraders'.


Yep. As soon as someone see the free support offer from M$ for issues regarding the upgrade route, be sure to post it. I plan to make several prank email prompts for service.
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2009 7:47:01 AM

badge said:
Yep. As soon as someone see the free support offer from M$ for issues regarding the upgrade route, be sure to post it. I plan to make several prank email prompts for service.

:lol:  Will do!
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2009 11:02:53 AM

Good luck getting your money back, I agree with others. User error, software is never refundable after it is opened. Probably bought 64bit or possibly you dont even have a DvD drive as dumb as you are.
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2009 12:19:57 PM

toyota_96 said:
bought windows premium 7 home edition I am running windows xp tried to load, it thought about it and after 5 minutes said it could not load it tried about 10 times give up now If I cannot solve it soon its going back to Currys who assured me I would have no problem loading it, they say they wont have it back because I have opened it? how else do I load it,

I have told them if I do not load it in the next couple of days he will be getting a home premium suppository fitted by me, any ideas!!!!



You can not upgrade XP directly to Win 7.

Boot to the Bios on your computer

Set your optical drive as the 1st option (Hard Drive 2nd)

Boot to the Win 7 DVD

Select "Install" - when given the option - "Custom Install" is the one you want.


Upon completion, your current Data will be located in a folder called "WINDOWS_OLD"
!