Trouble loading windows 7 home premium

toyota_96

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
bought windows premium 7 home edition I am running windows xp tried to load, it thought about it and after 5 minutes said it could not load it tried about 10 times give up now If I cannot solve it soon its going back to Currys who assured me I would have no problem loading it, they say they wont have it back because I have opened it? how else do I load it,

I have told them if I do not load it in the next couple of days he will be getting a home premium suppository fitted by me, any ideas!!!!

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
If you "haven't a clue" what your CPU is, are you really sure you are qualified to be performing a Windows upgrade in the first place? I know that sounds like I'm being rude, but I'm not... I feel it's a valid question.

Problems during my Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit installation indicated I had faulty memory... subsequent Memtest86+ testing revealed that both modules were faulty. Both were replaced and it has been smooth sailing for me.

I know when upgrading Windows XP to SP3 a ton of systems crashed to to the ground. After a week or two of the good, the bad and ugly about SP3, M$ finally offered free online tech support for SP3 problem related questions. I used that free support to inform Team Windows Supportablity Vista worked fine where SP3 did not in most cases. They didn't think of that as a solution over at supportibility headquarters until I chimed in. I suspect free online tech support for upgrading previous OS's to Windows 7 will show up again. Regarding my SP3 update debacle, my BIOS was the cause. Quoting M$ Chief Windows Supportability human person contact Paul Aaron,

Late Monday, Paul Aaron, Microsoft's senior group manager for Windows supportability, chimed in with a link to another support document. "From reading through the article, it looks like there is a service running in the background that is preventing the upgrade from completing," Aaron said. "Hope this helps."

Definately will be a BIOS issue which of course M$ has no control over.

Yep. As soon as someone see the free support offer from M$ for issues regarding the upgrade route, be sure to post it. I plan to make several prank email prompts for service.

You can not upgrade XP directly to Win 7.

Boot to the Bios on your computer

Set your optical drive as the 1st option (Hard Drive 2nd)

Boot to the Win 7 DVD

Select "Install" - when given the option - "Custom Install" is the one you want.

Upon completion, your current Data will be located in a folder called "WINDOWS_OLD"