Potential problem w/ Intel 82865G graphics

I believe I have a motherboard w/ a damaged video chipset. The system
is a Dell OptiPlex GX270. Starting about a week ago, despite the fact
that no new software or hardware was added, it started to randomly
crash. The behavior of the crash is odd, in that the video signal
dies and the hard drive sounds like it spins down, but the power
LED is still on. The systems' rear diagnostic LEDs also all go out.
At first I thought the system might be generating a BSOD and the
monitor was just unable to display it (due to a synching problem),
but I've tried other monitors with the same results. The only way out
of this is to hold the power button in until the system powers down,
then it can be powered back up normally. I finally discovered that
this odd crash can be fairly easy to trigger, and it's usually tied
to an attempt to display a menu (either contextual or from a menu
bar). I have already tried all the obvious software tricks, including
reloading the system from scratch. This unit is one of six or seven
identical systems, and the others are not behaving in the same way at
all, so I'm pretty sure the problem is hardware-related, esp. since a
software reload didn't help. Unfortunately, Dell's diagnostics aren't
reporting any problems. I was hoping that someone else might have
experienced the same symptoms and could verify or refute my
conclusion.

Right now, I'm waiting to hear back from a Dell tech. as they had me
perform a CHKDSK on the system. As I suspected (since I've already
tried this), it didn't help. They'll probably have me try a WinXP
repair, next, but I already tried that before I re-installed
everything from scratch. We'll probably have to "go through the
motions" before they send any replacement parts out, but I guess I
can understand that.

FWIW, here are some system details:

Dell OptiPlex GX270
Peitium 4 @ 2.4GHz
256MB RAM
Integrated Intel 82865G graphics
Integrated Intel Pro/1000 MT NIC
WinXP Pro SP2

Thanks,
Mike

peter

Hi,

I don't think it is the vedio chips problem, instead, I think there may be
the mobo's problems or the ATX power supply problem.

If the machine is still in warranty period, I would suggest you to change it.

Peter

"davis.157@osu.edu" wrote:

> I believe I have a motherboard w/ a damaged video chipset. The system
> is a Dell OptiPlex GX270. Starting about a week ago, despite the fact
> that no new software or hardware was added, it started to randomly
> crash. The behavior of the crash is odd, in that the video signal
> dies and the hard drive sounds like it spins down, but the power
> LED is still on. The systems' rear diagnostic LEDs also all go out.
> At first I thought the system might be generating a BSOD and the
> monitor was just unable to display it (due to a synching problem),
> but I've tried other monitors with the same results. The only way out
> of this is to hold the power button in until the system powers down,
> then it can be powered back up normally. I finally discovered that
> this odd crash can be fairly easy to trigger, and it's usually tied
> to an attempt to display a menu (either contextual or from a menu
> bar). I have already tried all the obvious software tricks, including
> reloading the system from scratch. This unit is one of six or seven
> identical systems, and the others are not behaving in the same way at
> all, so I'm pretty sure the problem is hardware-related, esp. since a
> software reload didn't help. Unfortunately, Dell's diagnostics aren't
> reporting any problems. I was hoping that someone else might have
> experienced the same symptoms and could verify or refute my
> conclusion.
>
> Right now, I'm waiting to hear back from a Dell tech. as they had me
> perform a CHKDSK on the system. As I suspected (since I've already
> tried this), it didn't help. They'll probably have me try a WinXP
> repair, next, but I already tried that before I re-installed
> everything from scratch. We'll probably have to "go through the
> motions" before they send any replacement parts out, but I guess I
> can understand that.
>
> FWIW, here are some system details:
>
> Dell OptiPlex GX270
> Peitium 4 @ 2.4GHz
> 256MB RAM
> Integrated Intel 82865G graphics
> Integrated Intel Pro/1000 MT NIC
> WinXP Pro SP2
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

davis.157@osu.edu wrote:

> I believe I have a motherboard w/ a damaged video chipset. The system
> is a Dell OptiPlex GX270. Starting about a week ago, despite the fact
> that no new software or hardware was added, it started to randomly
> crash. The behavior of the crash is odd, in that the video signal
> dies and the hard drive sounds like it spins down, but the power
> LED is still on. The systems' rear diagnostic LEDs also all go out.
> At first I thought the system might be generating a BSOD and the
> monitor was just unable to display it (due to a synching problem),
> but I've tried other monitors with the same results. The only way out
> of this is to hold the power button in until the system powers down,
> then it can be powered back up normally. I finally discovered that
> this odd crash can be fairly easy to trigger, and it's usually tied
> to an attempt to display a menu (either contextual or from a menu
> bar). I have already tried all the obvious software tricks, including
> reloading the system from scratch. This unit is one of six or seven
> identical systems, and the others are not behaving in the same way at
> all, so I'm pretty sure the problem is hardware-related, esp. since a
> software reload didn't help. Unfortunately, Dell's diagnostics aren't
> reporting any problems. I was hoping that someone else might have
> experienced the same symptoms and could verify or refute my
> conclusion.
>
> Right now, I'm waiting to hear back from a Dell tech. as they had me
> perform a CHKDSK on the system. As I suspected (since I've already
> tried this), it didn't help. They'll probably have me try a WinXP
> repair, next, but I already tried that before I re-installed
> everything from scratch. We'll probably have to "go through the
> motions" before they send any replacement parts out, but I guess I
> can understand that.
>
> FWIW, here are some system details:
>
> Dell OptiPlex GX270
> Peitium 4 @ 2.4GHz
> 256MB RAM
> Integrated Intel 82865G graphics
> Integrated Intel Pro/1000 MT NIC
> WinXP Pro SP2
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

A failing power supply can cause wierd problems, seemingly totally
unassociated with the event. But since its still under warranty you must
let Dell do their thing.

John

TRENDING THREADS