BLUE SCREEN - Prescott CPU Soyo Motherboard SP2

I have updated to SP2 and everyday I get at least one blue screen. In Event
Viewer Log I get a different error message every time, not consistantly the
same error message so it appears to be erroenous. I know about the SP2
Prescot issue and have updated the latest Bio for my Soyo P4I865PE
motherboard but still get the blue screens. I have rebuilt this system at
least 5 times in the last month, each time completly formatting the hard
drive and starting fresh.
I got so frustrated that I decided to just rebuilt it back to SP1a which is
what my XP Home CD is but even with that I still get the blue screen every
once a couple of days. It's like SP2 is still lurking out there somehow. I
did not have any problems with this unit before upgrading to SP2. I did add
a DVD burner but just to rule that out, I pulled it out of the system and
still had the occassional blue screen.
I build about 2 XP systems a month with clients purchasing their own retail
version of MS XP Home and never had any problems like I am having with this
unit.
ANY IDEAS? The Blue Screen seems to come more frequently with MS Office
2003 installed on top of SP2. Only other programs installed is Norton 2003.
Please HELP.
Bill K.

peter

Hi,

I would suggest you to check the ram sticks and all the internal devices
connections.
Make sure all devices are firmaly and properly seated into the slots and all
the cables/power cables are firmly connected.
Run some memeory test utility to ascertain there are no faulty ram chips.

Peter

"BILL KELLUM" wrote:

> I have updated to SP2 and everyday I get at least one blue screen. In Event
> Viewer Log I get a different error message every time, not consistantly the
> same error message so it appears to be erroenous. I know about the SP2
> Prescot issue and have updated the latest Bio for my Soyo P4I865PE
> motherboard but still get the blue screens. I have rebuilt this system at
> least 5 times in the last month, each time completly formatting the hard
> drive and starting fresh.
> I got so frustrated that I decided to just rebuilt it back to SP1a which is
> what my XP Home CD is but even with that I still get the blue screen every
> once a couple of days. It's like SP2 is still lurking out there somehow. I
> did not have any problems with this unit before upgrading to SP2. I did add
> a DVD burner but just to rule that out, I pulled it out of the system and
> still had the occassional blue screen.
> I build about 2 XP systems a month with clients purchasing their own retail
> version of MS XP Home and never had any problems like I am having with this
> unit.
> ANY IDEAS? The Blue Screen seems to come more frequently with MS Office
> 2003 installed on top of SP2. Only other programs installed is Norton 2003.
> Please HELP.
> Bill K.

Peter,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I did check all connections as well as run Microsoft's memory
diagnostic test and ram is all ok. I even pulled each ram chip out one by
one (two in all) to see if one of them was the culprit. I'm going to try
another format and install of XP SP2 (6th time in less than a month) and not
install Norton to see if Norton is giving me the trouble.
Bill K.

"Peter" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would suggest you to check the ram sticks and all the internal devices
> connections.
> Make sure all devices are firmaly and properly seated into the slots and all
> the cables/power cables are firmly connected.
> Run some memeory test utility to ascertain there are no faulty ram chips.
>
> Peter
>

> "BILL KELLUM" wrote:
>
> > I have updated to SP2 and everyday I get at least one blue screen. In Event
> > Viewer Log I get a different error message every time, not consistantly the
> > same error message so it appears to be erroenous. I know about the SP2
> > Prescot issue and have updated the latest Bio for my Soyo P4I865PE
> > motherboard but still get the blue screens. I have rebuilt this system at
> > least 5 times in the last month, each time completly formatting the hard
> > drive and starting fresh.
> > I got so frustrated that I decided to just rebuilt it back to SP1a which is
> > what my XP Home CD is but even with that I still get the blue screen every
> > once a couple of days. It's like SP2 is still lurking out there somehow. I
> > did not have any problems with this unit before upgrading to SP2. I did add
> > a DVD burner but just to rule that out, I pulled it out of the system and
> > still had the occassional blue screen.
> > I build about 2 XP systems a month with clients purchasing their own retail
> > version of MS XP Home and never had any problems like I am having with this
> > unit.
> > ANY IDEAS? The Blue Screen seems to come more frequently with MS Office
> > 2003 installed on top of SP2. Only other programs installed is Norton 2003.
> > Please HELP.
> > Bill K.

peter

Bill,

I use Norton System Works 2003 on my 2 PCs both running XP PRO SP2, I also
use Zone Alarm as my Firewall. Both PCs run well without any problem. One of
my mbo is an Asus P4B266 P4 2.0 GA (4 years old) and the other is an Intel
D915GAV P4 530 (7 months old)

BTW, have you download the latest chipset drivers for your Soyo mobo?
Also, have you loaded the load setup default after you updated the BIOS?
As you want to reinstall XP, I suggest you not to install SP2 at this time
and test the system.

Peter

"BILL KELLUM" wrote:

> Peter,
> Thanks for your reply.
> Yes, I did check all connections as well as run Microsoft's memory
> diagnostic test and ram is all ok. I even pulled each ram chip out one by
> one (two in all) to see if one of them was the culprit. I'm going to try
> another format and install of XP SP2 (6th time in less than a month) and not
> install Norton to see if Norton is giving me the trouble.
> Bill K.
>

> "Peter" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would suggest you to check the ram sticks and all the internal devices
> > connections.
> > Make sure all devices are firmaly and properly seated into the slots and all
> > the cables/power cables are firmly connected.
> > Run some memeory test utility to ascertain there are no faulty ram chips.
> >
> > Peter
> >

> > "BILL KELLUM" wrote:
> >
> > > I have updated to SP2 and everyday I get at least one blue screen. In Event
> > > Viewer Log I get a different error message every time, not consistantly the
> > > same error message so it appears to be erroenous. I know about the SP2
> > > Prescot issue and have updated the latest Bio for my Soyo P4I865PE
> > > motherboard but still get the blue screens. I have rebuilt this system at
> > > least 5 times in the last month, each time completly formatting the hard
> > > drive and starting fresh.
> > > I got so frustrated that I decided to just rebuilt it back to SP1a which is
> > > what my XP Home CD is but even with that I still get the blue screen every
> > > once a couple of days. It's like SP2 is still lurking out there somehow. I
> > > did not have any problems with this unit before upgrading to SP2. I did add
> > > a DVD burner but just to rule that out, I pulled it out of the system and
> > > still had the occassional blue screen.
> > > I build about 2 XP systems a month with clients purchasing their own retail
> > > version of MS XP Home and never had any problems like I am having with this
> > > unit.
> > > ANY IDEAS? The Blue Screen seems to come more frequently with MS Office
> > > 2003 installed on top of SP2. Only other programs installed is Norton 2003.
> > > Please HELP.
> > > Bill K.

Yes, latest Bios, Intel chipset drivers, NVIDIA driver, Lan Driver, etc.
Here are the latest error messages. I have minidump files if anyone is
interested in looking into this. Thanks so much, Bill Kellum

Here are the latest error messages:
Error code 1000000a, parameter1 e1507404, parameter2 00000002, parameter3
00000000, parameter4 8056b7fd.

Error code 0000000a, parameter1 8057c682, parameter2 00000002, parameter3
00000000, parameter4 8057c682.

Error code 0000000a, parameter1 8057d3b5, parameter2 00000002, parameter3
00000000, parameter4 8057d3b5.

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 e1544c1c, parameter2 00000002, parameter3
00000000, parameter4 8056b7fd.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a
(0x8057c682, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8057c682). A dump was saved in:
C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP.

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 8057d3b5, parameter2 00000002, parameter3
00000000, parameter4 8057d3b5.

It appears to be more consistent now. I turned on VERIFIER and this is what
I got. I had to turn verirfier off in order to boot normally into XP even
when selecting only non-microsoft drivers.
Thanks so much.
Bill Kellum

"Peter" wrote:

> Bill,
>
> I use Norton System Works 2003 on my 2 PCs both running XP PRO SP2, I also
> use Zone Alarm as my Firewall. Both PCs run well without any problem. One of
> my mbo is an Asus P4B266 P4 2.0 GA (4 years old) and the other is an Intel
> D915GAV P4 530 (7 months old)
>
> BTW, have you download the latest chipset drivers for your Soyo mobo?
> Also, have you loaded the load setup default after you updated the BIOS?
> As you want to reinstall XP, I suggest you not to install SP2 at this time
> and test the system.
>
> Peter
>
> "BILL KELLUM" wrote:
>
> > Peter,
> > Thanks for your reply.
> > Yes, I did check all connections as well as run Microsoft's memory
> > diagnostic test and ram is all ok. I even pulled each ram chip out one by
> > one (two in all) to see if one of them was the culprit. I'm going to try
> > another format and install of XP SP2 (6th time in less than a month) and not
> > install Norton to see if Norton is giving me the trouble.
> > Bill K.
> >

> > "Peter" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I would suggest you to check the ram sticks and all the internal devices
> > > connections.
> > > Make sure all devices are firmaly and properly seated into the slots and all
> > > the cables/power cables are firmly connected.
> > > Run some memeory test utility to ascertain there are no faulty ram chips.
> > >
> > > Peter

peter

Bill,

I'm still thinking you have the drivers/BIOS issues on this OS.
To save your time, it is better to re-install the system from scratch.
Below are the properly procedures:

STEP 1:

Read the FAQ first:
http://www.soyogroup.com/support/proddesc.php

Download BIOS, manual and Intelchipset/Realtek Lan/C-Media Audio drivers:
http://www.soyogroup.com/downloads/filedesc.php?id=2304
http://www.soyogroup.com/downloads/selectresults.php?language=&col3=Driver&col2=298

How to update award BIOS with an .exe file
http://www.soyogroup.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=216

Refer to the user manual for how to flash BIOS and config the CMOS.

Download the latest WHQL drivers for your nvidia vedio card from nvidia.com

***Burn all downloaded files into different folders to a CDR,
copy the downloaded BIOS to a floppy disk***

STEP 2:

A. Flash the latest BIOS. After the the BIOS is successfully flashed, reboot
into BIOS again.
Load the Load Optimized Default and then adjust the CMOS to suit your
needs.
If your CPU support HT, enable HT in CMOS.
If you are using SATA drive, enable the Advanced ATA controller in CMOS.
Change the BOOT sequence to let your DVD or CD rom to be the first Boot
device
(connected to the Secondary IDE channel as master drive) and the Hdd to
be the 2nd device.
Pls refer to the manual for how to adjust/config in CMOS.
Save and exit BIOS setup then reboot.

B. Insert the original XP CD into the CD or DVD rom drive and reboot. Press
the space bar
continuously until it boot from the XP CD.

C. Press Enter to enter setup, press F8 key to accept licence agreement.
Select to delete the exiting
partition(s) and format the HDD to clean install XP with SP1.

D. After XP is successfully installed and loaded, install the Intel Chipset
Software Installation Utility first.
Reboot the PC then install the C-Media drivers, follow the prompt to
complete the installation then reboot.

E. Install the WHQL nvidia drivers and reboot. Adjust the resolution /
refresh rate to match with your monitor.
F. Install MS Office and then reboot.
G. Install drivers for your printer/scanner/digicam/USB mouse, etc.
H. DON'T install SP2 now, check to ensure the whole system is working
normally.
If the PC run smoothly without any problems, create a restore point.
I. Install antivirus software, for NAV product, you should use NAV 2003 or
later. Reboot the PC
J. Install Firewall, e.g. Zone Alarm . Rebobot the PC
K. Check to ensure the whole system is working smoothly, then update all the
patches for NAV.
L. Create a restore point and then download the latest XP update patches
except the SP2.
M. Run the system for a few days to ensure it is working normally.
N. Create a restore point before you install SP2

Hope it helps.

--
Peter

TRENDING THREADS