Unable to configure video on SOYO P4VGA MoBo

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2004 8:58:35 PM

Hi everybody..

I've spent the last month trying to configure a new PC I

built using a SOYO4VGA MoBo . It has the Via 266 chipset, 1GB of RAM

and twin WD HD of 120 GB from my previous machine. The SOYO manual in

the troubleshooting section tells you that if you have difficulty

getting more than 16 colours,to install the VIA drivers.

(Monitor a Samsung Syncmaster 400b )

worked perfectly well on the previous machine, on old Pentium II) The

resolution is of course, only 640 X 480-nothing seems able to alter

this- Installing the VIA drivers from the web site made no difference,

nor did flashing the BIOS (was 2AA1, now 2AA3) as suggested also on

the web site.

I'm at a loss as to what to do now.. I called SOYO in Cal. and a

Chinese sounding guy didn't seem to understand I'd already done all

the things he was suggesting, several times- (except flashing the

BIOS- did that once only..)

Anyone have any ideas as to how to proceed next???

Any help greatly appreciated..

J.A.R.N.

Montreal, Canada
April 1, 2004 6:38:51 PM

What is the display adapter when you look under control
panel/system/display adapter? If it isn't the video card in your AGP
slot then you have to install the video driver file for your video card.
If it already says your video card is installed, try updating the driver
by selecting properties/driver/update driver and pointing to a directory
where you've extracted the video driver file to.

In article <rlsl601sqb9jfsuns9ucbsovofp2mjdp8m@4ax.com>,
jsallco@odyssee.net says...
> Hi everybody..
>
> I've spent the last month trying to configure a new PC I
>
> built using a SOYO4VGA MoBo . It has the Via 266 chipset, 1GB of RAM
>
> and twin WD HD of 120 GB from my previous machine. The SOYO manual in
>
> the troubleshooting section tells you that if you have difficulty
>
> getting more than 16 colours,to install the VIA drivers.
>
> (Monitor a Samsung Syncmaster 400b )
>
> worked perfectly well on the previous machine, on old Pentium II) The
>
> resolution is of course, only 640 X 480-nothing seems able to alter
>
> this- Installing the VIA drivers from the web site made no difference,
>
> nor did flashing the BIOS (was 2AA1, now 2AA3) as suggested also on
>
> the web site.
>
> I'm at a loss as to what to do now.. I called SOYO in Cal. and a
>
> Chinese sounding guy didn't seem to understand I'd already done all
>
> the things he was suggesting, several times- (except flashing the
>
> BIOS- did that once only..)
>
> Anyone have any ideas as to how to proceed next???
>
> Any help greatly appreciated..
>
> J.A.R.N.
>
> Montreal, Canada

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2004 3:10:07 AM

I'm using the P4VGA with the onboard video. Using Device Manager, check to
see if the Display Adaptor shows S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR. That's what you
get when you install the drivers from the CD or the updated drivers from
their website. That's what I have and my monitor displays 800 x 600 and
easily goes higher.

!